It's 3x as fast!!! (10.2.8 update)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just got done installing 10.2.8 on a 600Mhz iMac from 10.2.6, and it's 3x as fast as it was before!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I just got done installing 10.2.8 on a 600Mhz iMac from 10.2.6, and it's 3x as fast as it was before!!!

So far it seems like they fixed the prebinding bug, although I didn't see it mentioned officially. But then they didn't admit to that bug anyway as far as I could see.

Great, fingers crossed, this will get me through until Panther.

But I have to make the distinction that, for me, it's not running "faster", it is just not stalling. It is now as fast as it ought to have been without the prebinding bug. See, to me, it did run this fast, until Apple updated 10.2.7. This introduced a prebinding bug that made it almost useless to work on, constant beachballs and stalls. So I can't let Apple off the hook for that one by saying it's 3x as fast now. It works as it should.

(700MHz iBook)
  • Reply 2 of 23
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I've literally been SCREAMING OUT LOUD at my 600mhz iBook for the past 2 weeks of a project. Going back to my 400mhz B&W tower at home was a GREAT speed bump for me (can you say: thank you 1GB of RAM and System 9.0.2?).

I'll try the update today and see how much faster it performs...thanks for the encouragement gang....glad I waited out the first round of 10.2.8~
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

been smoking crack again, hey?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    No, sadly lol J/k. It's really true. I can't belive how fast everything is going with 10.2.8 installed. Everything is really snappy. My internet speed double. Seriously. I shaved 21 seconds off start up time. Everything seems like I"m running a 800Mhz G4. And my genie dock effect actually looks nice and smooth, never did before.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I'm surprised how many views this thread got 1546 right now. and probably rising. Pretty cool!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    The only way you could get that kind of a speed boost like you claim is if something was already seriously wrong with your computer before you installed, be it broken permissions, broken application prebinding, or filesystem damage. Yours is the *only* case I've seen of any major speed increase with 10.2.8.

Fluke.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wait until you try 10.3

• Reply 8 of 23
    no, I just reformated my drive, installed 10.2.6. After the upgrade, I still saw the performance increase alot.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    On a 12" PBG4 iTunes framerates now SUCK, I emailed Apple. They don't go above 30 in full screen anymore even with nothing else running. SUCK.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Also safari now sometimes STALLS on replying here and hitting the X button is the only way to get it to continue replying and loading the update thread. Altivec is an Apple operative! There's nothing good about 10.2.8!!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

On a 12" PBG4 iTunes framerates now SUCK, I emailed Apple. They don't go above 30 in full screen anymore even with nothing else running. SUCK.

Not to sound patronizing, but are you sure iTunes isn't set to cap framerates at 30 fps? Sometimes those settings get reset when you install an update.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Dang. I just tried it on my 933Mhz Quicksilver with a Ti 4600 and I can't get 30 fps in the iTunes window! Cap frame rate at 30 fps is not checked. Use OpenGL was checked and interestingly unchecking it made no difference. Maybe using OpenGL is broken now.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Interestingly enough I *think* there was a large jump in the OpenGl performance of a 3D framework that I've been playing around with - a couple driver "oddities" really crippled it, so maybe those were fixed.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    10.2.8 was a bad update for me...My computer is acting very sluggish right from the startup from the install. I have a 450 Cube with 1.5MB ram and plenty of hard drive space. Using Wacom tablet (as I always have) Safari is giving me too much beachball spin. Summer is over! I don't want any beachballs!

I'm also noticing horizontal line streaking on my monitor since the update. My current monitor is a new LaCie 19" CRT.

what's up with the update?!?!?!?!\
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Yes it's not patronizing, it's ok. But it definitely isn't checked.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    I just used a DUAL G5 and it didn't get framerates above 40, nothing else running. 10.2.8 second revision for G5. 10.2.8 sucks ass.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwondo

I'm also noticing horizontal line streaking on my monitor since the update. My current monitor is a new LaCie 19" CRT.

What you're probably seeing is a line on the bottom third of your CRT, correct? You're looking at a thin wire, which is a normal element of all Sony Trinitron based CRTs. I believe the wire provides extra image stability, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it maybe annoying but you'll forget it's there after you stop looking at it for awhile. I have it on my 17" Apple Studio Display, and I forgot about it until your post made me focus on it again.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I always wondered what that line was!!!!!! I used to see that on old Apple displays from a decade ago. Well, now I know, mystery solved!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Bigmac,

Actually, the lines that you are thinking are at upper 1/4 and bottom 1/4. which all high res. monitor would have that. what I'm talking about is like a "shooting star" streak that appears horizontally at random places in the upper part of my monitor. This occurance did not happen until I updated to 10.2.8.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    So is ANYONE ELSE seeing this AUDIO SKIPPING bug or the framerate drop in iTunes??? Apple is really letting the sh!t slide and treating loyal paying customers like crap.