The best band you never heard of.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
www.jackbrothers.nu

Swedish Jazz Punk. They grew up during the English Punk period and have applied the thinking to Jazz music. I love 'em.

Visit the site and roll over the sax buttons because they're the links. After you've figured that out find the downloads section and you can get about 2 CDs worth of free music to sample them.

If you decide you like them, you can actually buy the stuff here in the States as well. Go here:

http://www.cadencebuilding.com/caden...icsaleshp.html

Do a search for jackbrothers as one word and you should find 14 albums.

The albums. OK, they have two CDs: The Jack Brothers & Coltrane King. Then they have a 12 CD set (!!) they made in honor of the French Revolution. They wrote and released one CD a month for 12 straight months (!!) and it's a nice color coordinated digi-pak set.

Anyway, I say download the free stuff and give it a listen. If you like the stuff buy the 2 CDs that aren't part of the 12 disc set. After that, if you really like them, go ahead and splurge. The Swedes will appreciate it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Jazz Punk?

Punk is the single most whored genre of music today. It has died a quick, meaningless death. It's just more emo.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Punk still lives on just fine. But this is 'Jazz,' but from some guys that have punk attitudes. Punk is more than Johnny Rotten, it's also Elivs Costello or Tom Petty. It's a thought process more than it is a music.

Anyway, the music is free to enjoy.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    There is alot of interesting and very intense stuff that is loosely labeled as 'jazz' but is close to 'punk' in attitude: much of the stuff that came out of the Kitchen Scene in NYC in the 80s and 90s and some who are still at it: Brottzman, Last Exit, Torture Garden, Zorn etc

When music tries to play "Jazz" as in standards in the manner of standards . . . then its pretty lame . . . like painters who worship Giacometti so much that they don't get beyond him.

. . . now I love good Jazz and I love Giacometti . . . but they were then and this is now
  • Reply 4 of 18
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Jazz Punk?

Punk is the single most whored genre of music today. It has died a quick, meaningless death. It's just more emo.

Agreed. In a Sum41, Blink 182, Rancid, Green Day, etc. kinda way...BUT Punk is a true music art form/genre/root to rock music today. IT AIN'T DEAD. As long as there are pissed off, disfranchised and alienated youth...there will always be a form of rock music expresssion labeled "Punk".

You want early "Jazz Punk"? Here it is...from 1977...

There's always a beginning. And if it's good...it never ends.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Know where I can find some James White?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Just checked CDnow...nothing...typical...your best chance (heh, Chance was also his last name too, heh) is a used CD store, a CD store that carries inovative music (good luck) or just search and download them motha****as. I would definately try him out first...he's not for the squeamish.

This is where I found the image. Don't really know what this site is. Cool graphics though...try Google too.

http://www.tigersushi.com/

• Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

gemm.com
  • Reply 8 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Ahem.

• Reply 9 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    best band you've (probably) never heard of? well, they're not punk, and they're not jazz. they are new orleans'...

Cowboy Mouth *

(*taken from the Sam Shepard play about the life of Bob Dylan, in which there is a line that you "have to give it back to them bigger than life. You have to be a rock n' roll jesus with a cowboy mouth."

ask anyone who has ever seen them live over the past ten years... Nine albums, plus various earlier variants, and at least 2-4 solo CD's per their three primary members. Folks, that is a hell of a lot of music over the years.

possibly the best live band performers i have ever seen, too.

you can also read and hear some rarity samples of theirs at Mercyland.com , a fairly well maintained fan site. fyi: interesting bit of trivia, the first band that the two main leads fred leblanc and paul sanchez formed was known as "the backbeats," and also included vance degeneres. for those who watch "the daily show with jon stewart," yes, THAT vance degeneres. former daily show correspondent, AND brother of comedian ellen degenres.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Dream Theater, by far.

I am listensing to them right now. The amount of musical talent behind this rock quintet is baffling. Too much for the layman to appreciate. If you though Zepplin was dynamic, Dream Theater will blow your socks off. It's not jazz, it's not metal, and it's not classical, but it's somewhere in between.

Anyway, they really blow me away. If you ever have the opportunity, listen to "6 degrees of inner turbulence" about 10 times until it hits you.

Lastly, there's no stupid teen angst involved, which makes it truly good. As a personalized opinion, I find "punk" to be insipid and uninspired. period. Give me 2 years and a guitar, and I will make better rock.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Yeah...dream theater are neat, they are pretty damn popular in bassist circles, their bassist john myung is ridiculously talented.

I'd say they are the definition of prog rock though.

they ARE neat, but I'm not a big fan of the genre, and it's musicality can't help if I don't like the sound
  • Reply 12 of 18
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Bungie I was afraid this thread would have been of another band ... \
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Do you know of any "trumpet jazz punk"?

No, but now I do want to know of some because it sounds cool.

Yes, the Jack Brothers are sax heavy, but luckily for me I've never heard more than a few instants of Kenny G so sax was not destroyed for me. I couldn't ever listen to more than a few seconds of that crap.

Trumpet jazz punk. I'll post here if anything comes to mind.

I now need to see Cowboy Mouth. Thanks for the heads up. Any other suggestions from anyone? Gia, what band were you expecting to read about?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    The jack sh... ... those who nearly raped Kurt in the concert in Detroit
  • Reply 15 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
  • Reply 17 of 18
    www.lordonly.net - Original Progressive Rock, very tight band, if you like Dream theater you will like these guys, the bassist has the world's only doubleneck 7-string bass*

www.mamadou.com - very creative band, translates african rhythms to different instruments, and plays intricate and complex lines that never seem too cluttered.

And of course, as a bassist I gotta mention www.victorwooten.com He's pretty popular for his work with bela fleck and the flecktones, but his solo stuff, and his stuff with his brothers is phenomenal.

*a lot of people don't "get" extended range basses, but I assure you JT, their bassist, uses every note from low F# to high C(2 octaves above middle)