BitTorrent

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is it just me or does BitTorrent never get much speed at all? I usually get around 1 k/s or less. I think this is because there are so many duplicate "torrents." the way this works is just stupid. There should be a search feature so there aren't as many duplicates. I just want to download some TV like Scrubs or MacGyver or The Pretender but at these speeds it's impossible. BitTorrent looks like a flop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Is it just me or does BitTorrent never get much speed at all? I usually get around 1 k/s or less. I think this is because there are so many duplicate "torrents." the way this works is just stupid. There should be a search feature so there aren't as many duplicates. I just want to download some TV like Scrubs or MacGyver or The Pretender but at these speeds it's impossible. BitTorrent looks like a flop.

I've gotten over 400KB with BitTorrent, and usually about 100KB. Make sure you open all the ports 6881-6889 if you're running a firewall. Also you can try using an app like Cocktailp to change your connection to full duplex, which lets you download and upload at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oh believe me I've tried!

I would need the router password here at college and I don't think attempting to find that out would be a good idea. I do run a Carracho server but at the moment there is no activity, none on the network. BT has always sucked ass for me, here at URI and at Dartmouth college. Both places have extremely good bandwith, I'm talking megaBytes, I have seen it in Speed Download. BitTorrent just sucks. And Poisoned seemed to work so well for a while but now nothing actually downloads, with mlmac it doesn't find as much as it should. What do you use BitTorrent for? I'm trying to download stuff off torrentreactor.com like movies and TV shows that are or should be popular like Scrubs (I saw only the first Ep I want to see more.)
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

I've gotten over 400KB with BitTorrent, and usually about 100KB. Make sure you open all the ports 6881-6889 if you're running a firewall. Also you can try using an app like Cocktailp to change your connection to full duplex, which lets you download and upload at the same time.

What type of conenction to the net do you have? Are you using an ethernet router/adsl modem?
  • Reply 4 of 61
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I have witnessed speeds of up to 250 KB/s in bittorrent (with my ADSL line theoretically - and practically - maxing out at about 350 KB/s). However, I believe that the average speed I get is about 20-30 KB/s (with peaks and lows). Much depends on the popularity of the download, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    This past summer I was one of about 30 kids who stayed on the college campus

BitTorrent faaaaassssttt

Seriously, I was averaging about 200k/s every night. Of course, I was downloading about 30 things at a time, many of which did nothing, but I still ended up with about 40 movies by the end, and I was by no means trying to get as much as possible.

Edit: 40 movies by the end of the summer, not by the end of the night
  • Reply 6 of 61
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    You do, of course, mean that you downloaded 40 freeware movie files from the public domain ??

As any other references would be a violation of the posting guidelines and possibly a bannable offence... Be very careful within these peer-to-peer discussion threads!

\
  • Reply 7 of 61
    I'm sure everyone uses BitTorrent for completely legal purposes... like downloading the new matrix trailer. right guys
  • Reply 8 of 61
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I'm sure everyone uses BitTorrent for completely legal purposes... like downloading the new matrix trailer. right guys

The new matrix trailer is awesome!
  • Reply 9 of 61
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've had varying levels of success with BT. With popular files, it can get real fast. But it takes some time to ramp up to that speed. With other files, it's pathetic. I still really like the concept of BT and I think it will actually change the way software is distributed.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    I just want some TV series like Scrubs. If I can record it with a VCR then I should be able to download it.

Also my upload speed is always twice my download speed. as in I'm downloading at.7 k/s uploading at 2.7k/s. Damn BitTorrent sucks. Someone point me to a good torrent to help me see if it's just me please? I am on a fast connection, something beyond T3 at URI. They cap individuals at dorms to 10 base T but believe me it really maxes out to a megaByte a second.

Edit: now I'm uploading at 4 or 5 x while still downloading at .7k/s. I allowed nearly infinite uploads and speed because doesn't that let you download faster? How the hell can it upload faster then download? Is everyone on BitTorrent a stupid modem user???! What kind of idiot tries to download a 1.5 gig file on a modem!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

You do, of course, mean that you downloaded 40 freeware movie files from the public domain ??

As any other references would be a violation of the posting guidelines and possibly a bannable offence... Be very careful within these peer-to-peer discussion threads!

\

Oh relax. I wasn't saying where I got these things, nor was I asking where to find them. That's all the posting guidelines warn against. We can talk about BitTorrent and it's merits and downfalls all we want since it's so damn hard to find a good torrent file . Heck, how many people discussing Panther have a legal build? Even if they did have a legal build, they wouldn't be allowed to discuss it. And yet look at the discussions.

Anyways, I really think it's a novel idea, but perhaps it could be implemented better. Just imagine how fast [insert big name of p2p app here] (happy Gargoyle?) would be if they had everyone who was downloading uploading the partial. Ah well, it doesn't matter none anyways... our university has bandwidth limited Kazaa so much you can hardly get 100 bps anymore.

Or perhaps if this function were embedded into web browsers, and each site would keep track of where the partials are. That brings up a copyright issue... is it legal to obtain, say, 10 seconds of a song without purchasing? Just kinda like you can quote so much out of a book legally? Then there could be a distributed music network, where nobody has any illegal clips. but the software would enable you to play them linked together. I don't think it would ever work, but it would be fun just to piss off the RIAA like that .

Aquatic: does your university have a bandwidth shaper? They can do things like that.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Bittorrent can run really fast. Depending which site you are getting them from. Mine vary from 25k to 125k. It really depends on how you do your setup as well. If you have your upload at no limit then u won't get anywhere, set the upload limit at about 75% of whatever u can upload and you'll get good downloads.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    125k is slow for me. And I get sub-1k. I don't know if URI is capping BitTorrent, it would be a shame if they are since it is used for a lot more legit stuff then any other p2p. They do block kazaa though. On a sidenote, has anyone been able to get kazaalite.com or slsk.org to load!?
  • Reply 14 of 61
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Hehe Bauman.... Good points.

I get good speeds from BT, but you have to get a popular download. The more people that are getting the download the more you will download from!!!

My line nearly always gets maxed out at 120K once I am connected to more than 20 peers.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I use BT to download the movies from RvB. Never a problem.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I use BT to download the movies from RvB. Never a problem.

same here...never a problem and I get up to 400k/sec

can't wait for the next series.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    BT is always fast for me... it starts off slow but within 5 min it jumps up to about 250k/s... depending on what I am downloading.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I've had varying levels of success with BT. With popular files, it can get real fast. But it takes some time to ramp up to that speed. With other files, it's pathetic. I still really like the concept of BT and I think it will actually change the way software is distributed.

I don't understand the popularity of BT. Overnet/edonkey has been doing the same thing for years, without the problems of duplication, need for servers, & lack of a search function.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    It uses partials in transfers?

What specific torrents is everyone downloading that go so fast, so I can compare?
  • Reply 20 of 61
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    The problem is obviously that ports 6881-6889 are blocked. Simple as that.