Redirecting sound

jbljbl
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a Roland UA-30 (a USB device that allows me to pull sound into my Mac from my stereo and pump it back into my stereo). I would like to redirct the sound to play over the computer rather than the stereo (actually the headphones, it is not like I prefer the computer's speakers to my stereo). This doesn't seem to work. I can play system sounds over either the stereo or the computer speakers... I can record from the stereo onto the computer. The sound coming out of the stereo is going though the computer (e.g., if the computer goes to sleep no sound comes out of the stereo). But unless I record the sounds and replay them the sound that originates in the stereo will not play over the computer's speakers. Does anyone know why this happens and how to change it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Have you looked in the System Preferences under 'Sound', and checked your Inputs/Outputs there?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Have you looked in the System Preferences under 'Sound', and checked your Inputs/Outputs there?

Yeah. That is how I redirect various system sounds. I can redirect the sounds coming out of any application (I even downloaded Detour which allows me to select where sounds go on an application by application basis). Everything works as expected except that stuff coming in over the UA-30 goes back out over the UA-30. I have actually tested this on a couple different computers now and it is the same. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Detour might work.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yeah, tried Detour. The problem is that there isn't an application to redirect. Detour allows you to set a default, which I did, but that didn't effect the UA-30. I didn't see any other settings that looked promising. What I probably need is an application like AudioX, which, simply plays the sound back out rather than recording it to disk. (AudioX will capture the sound to disk and let me play it back later and its playback is properly controlled by the sound panel and by Detour; however I don't want to waste the disk space and I don't want to play stuff back later.) Does anyone know of a simple application like that?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Uhm, does this Roland UA-30 device work somehow with MIDI? If so, the MIDI app in /Applications/Utilities could help you. Give it a try.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Uhm, does this Roland UA-30 device work somehow with MIDI? If so, the MIDI app in /Applications/Utilities could help you. Give it a try.

Hadn't tried that before. It isn't recognized as a Midi device on the Midi device tab. It is recognized on the Audio device tab but that seems to operate just like the audio preference panel (same results).