For $1799, this is what the iMac should come with

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
- Faster CPU

- 512 MB RAM

- 120/160 GB hard drive

- 4X Superdrive

- 64MB ATI 9000 Pro

That's what a comparibly priced Dell comes with. Why can't Apple match the competition?

An iMac with 512 MB RAM and 160 GB HD costs $2000 even though it comes with the same graphics card!

As soon as Apple matches the specs above with the $1799 price, I will buy an iMac; but right now, it's overpriced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I think that is BS... but that is just me

Dell?... i mean come on...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    remember the fastest G4 shipped from Apple is a 1.33Ghz...

I don't think the iMac will faster than the Pro-line, including the PowerBook G4.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

- Faster CPU

- 512 MB RAM

- 120/160 GB hard drive

- 4X Superdrive

- 64MB ATI 9000 Pro

That's what a comparibly priced Dell comes with. Why can't Apple match the competition?

An iMac with 512 MB RAM and 160 GB HD costs $2000 even though it comes with the same graphics card!

As soon as Apple matches the specs above with the $1799 price, I will buy an iMac; but right now, it's overpriced.

comparibly priced dell? funny, becuase the two machines are not actually comparible. I have a 17" imac, and it blows away the dells quality wise. plus remember, dell has NOTHING that actually compares to the imac(I dont see a dell with the same size footprint, same exact screen,ect and the way it can me moved)....
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Scratch the 4x Superdrive from that list... it already has it.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Arguments like this come from those filled with envy, and so irritated by it that they burst out in a little hostility.

This is like saying, "A Porsche is totally overpriced for what you get! I could get comparable features in <insert car here>!"

Sure, it sucks that we can't all own a Porsche... but I don't hate the company because I can't afford their car. Apple doesn't make cheap computers, in just about every sense of that word. Suck it up and get used to it.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I think that is BS... but that is just me

Dell?... i mean come on...

Hey look guys, don't get me wrong. I hate Dell and I know the iMac is a lot higher quality. All I'm saying is that I would like to see some more features and higher specs if the iMac is to stay at $1799.

I would also like to see FW800 come with it.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Since the time Apple lowered the price and upgraded it I always thought it was a good deal, and now last month they upped the processor even more, added a better graphics card, etc. I think it really is a good deal, and yes it does already have a 4X SuperDrive.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    The only thing that's 'higher quality' in the iMac is the casing that it's in. Everything else inside is industry basic (if not last year's technology - or the year before that). Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's better. Apple's hardware is not expensive, it's over-priced (there's a difference). Since they don't move huge amounts of units like Dell does, they HAVE TO charge more to make $$$ (but yes, they do get greedy at times). Apple also uses a very strategic model/pricing process which milks as much cash out of the consumer as possible by crippling the low-end and maxing out the very expensive high-end with little or no options in-between.

These high-end car analogies are getting old and are a load of crap too. Open up the hood of a Benz or a Porsche and you see state of the art, expensive and impressive machinery that you simply won't find in a lower-end Honda. Open up the iMac and you see the same parts found in a cheap low-end Dell. Apple doesn't use better HDs, memory, graphics Cards, displays, etc. than any other PC manufacturer - they all buy from the same makers. Apple, like all the others is trying to make the most cash possible - but instead of offering the latest and greatest for the home user, they focus on their cult-like following, unsurpassed OS and design to do so - and it's obviously working as we are all willing to pay the extra $$$.

?and yes, the current iMac needs to offer more for what they are currently charging.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

The only thing that's 'higher quality' in the iMac is the casing that it's in. Everything else inside is industry basic (if not last year's technology - or the year before that). Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's better. Apple's hardware is not expensive, it's over-priced (there's a difference). Since they don't move huge amounts of units like Dell does, they HAVE TO charge more to make $$$ (but yes, they do get greedy at times). Apple also uses a very strategic model/pricing process which milks as much cash out of the consumer as possible by crippling the low-end and maxing out the very expensive high-end with little or no options in-between.

These high-end car analogies are getting old and are a load of crap too. Open up the hood of a Benz or a Porsche and you see state of the art, expensive and impressive machinery that you simply won't find in a lower-end Honda. Open up the iMac and you see the same parts found in a cheap low-end Dell. Apple doesn't use better HDs, memory, graphics Cards, displays, etc. than any other PC manufacturer - they all buy from the same makers. Apple, like all the others is trying to make the most cash possible - but instead of offering the latest and greatest for the home user, they focus on their cult-like following, unsurpassed OS and design to do so - and it's obviously working as we are all willing to pay the extra $$$.

?and yes, the current iMac needs to offer more for what they are currently charging.

Well, you don't have to be that harsh but I mostly agree. I do think that Apple computers are overall higher quality than PCs, meaning that they are put together better.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Absolutely, Apple computers are put together very well and use the best chassis around and for that alone they can charge more, but not as much as they do for what they are offering inside.

My post was touching on the inside of the machine and might have sounded harsh because I am so tired of these stupid analogies that don't really make sense and I am also tired of the apologists over-looking the obvious.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Yeah, porsches do kind of suck on paper. . . and anything aside from the super-high end ones suck on the track too.

But the chicks dig 'em. The same can't really be said of the Corvette Z06. . . or even the Mazda Rx-7. (I get a lot of "your car is so cute." but as I've learned "cute" isn't a great place to be)

The iMac is cool. Macs never fail to make you stand out.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    You forget that Apple also spends an incredible amount of money on the industrial design of their products. Money that has to be recouped through sales of the units. As such, it really is quite ignorant to look at it and say that Apple's machines cost as much as Intel based machines because of the parts inside.

I haven't done the numbers, so I can't really say how much of a profit Apple is pulling on each iMac. But if you read the articles, you know that the design we currently have for the machine was a successor to other failed designs. The entire process took years, loads of money. And that happens with most everything Apple builds. The machine cost is also paying for the industrial design we love so much.

Call it an apologist point of view or what have you... or take the car analogy and complain about it not being wholly accurate. It's just a rough analogy. Fact of the matter is that you get what you pay for. If you want to play ball with Apple, you have to pony up the premium to join the club. Like a lot of other things life.

I'd love for the machines to give you more, or be cheaper, just like any other consumer. I am by no means apologizing on behalf of Apple, I'm just taking the standpoint of understanding why things are the way they are. I also recognize that isn't going to change. Life is about picking your battles, and I don't really let this one upset me.

So call me an apologist, I'm fine on that side of the fence. The other side seems to be filled with a lot of pent up hostility worthy of AppleOutsider
  • Reply 13 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    this thread is embarrassing

on both sides of the issue

• Reply 14 of 20
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

this thread is embarrassing on both sides of the issue

Hmmm?perhaps, but I will make certain of it with a brief hijacking in response to this:

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Yeah, porsches do kind of suck on paper. . . and anything aside from the super-high end ones suck on the track too.

I'll assume by your title that you're a car guy, referring as it does to the engine made famous by the RX-7. If so, how can you say it takes a tip-o-the-top Porsche to get great performance? Even an entry 911 is considered the touchstone in it's class, overall, not to mention the consistently amazing marks that the Boxster gets for, say, handling alone? Oh, and the engines don't go poof like those Wankel's are known to.

(Just adding to the fun here )
  • Reply 15 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Check your PM in several minutes.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

-Snip-

Call it an apologist point of view or what have you... or take the car analogy and complain about it not being wholly accurate. It's just a rough analogy. Fact of the matter is that you get what you pay for. If you want to play ball with Apple, you have to pony up the premium to join the club. Like a lot of other things life.

I'd love for the machines to give you more, or be cheaper, just like any other consumer. I am by no means apologizing on behalf of Apple, I'm just taking the standpoint of understanding why things are the way they are. I also recognize that isn't going to change. Life is about picking your battles, and I don't really let this one upset me.

-snip-

You can get a good car analogy: right now the iMac is a stylish PT Cruiser that is priced like a porsche 911.

Grumbling about the lack computing power of the current iMac is quite understandable -- I would not buy one now, nor advise anyone else to buy one (unlike the dual G5 and powerbooks, which I highly recommend).

Apple really needs to be aggressive in its designs for 2004. All of the towers should have dual processors, and the iMacs should have the a single G5 clocked at or near the speed of the top tower.

Things are going to change. I really do think that by next year the iMac will bounce up to a 2+GHz G5 and, while they will not be cheap, they will be much closer to the price/performance rate of PCs.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

You forget that Apple also spends an incredible amount of money on the industrial design of their products. Money that has to be recouped through sales of the units. As such, it really is quite ignorant to look at it and say that Apple's machines cost as much as Intel based machines because of the parts inside.

I haven't done the numbers, so I can't really say how much of a profit Apple is pulling on each iMac. But if you read the articles, you know that the design we currently have for the machine was a successor to other failed designs. The entire process took years, loads of money. And that happens with most everything Apple builds. The machine cost is also paying for the industrial design we love so much.

So call me an apologist, I'm fine on that side of the fence. The other side seems to be filled with a lot of pent up hostility worthy of AppleOutsider

I understand, but this iMac was released almost 2 years ago! It's fine now and the thing's design was a stroke of genious. Now, it's time to put more in that small dome for less since the development costs have no doubt been paid back over the last 2 years.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I am happy to pay the premium so I don't have to go through the torture that is Windoze.

Added that my two year old laptop is a sexy beast I can't complain....
  • Reply 19 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

...stylish PT Cruiser...

oxymoron
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

this thread is embarrassing

on both sides of the issue