Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I find "Judith" quite inspirational.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Genius film isn't it Moogs? I saw it when it came out in the cinema, I was 9. I haven't been quite the same since.

One... two... FIVE!

The greatest there ever was in my estimation. I have rotating quotes in my sig.

• Reply 23 of 36
    I had noticed. How do you get rotating sigs? And yes , it is the greatest .
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Simple my good man. I have a change of heart, open the Control Panel and paste in the new sig....

Damned if I know which is best. Perhaps the board administrator shall grant us extra signature lines so that we may fully offer our praises.

Actually, now that I think of it, rotating sigs would be a great feature for the next version of VBulletin, if it's not already in there somewhere.

• Reply 25 of 36
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Whatever works (the story that is). My sister lost her son by a hit and run drunk driver. She would wear his leather jacket to bed and wears it every year at his memorial. She's a devout catholic too.

I keep the memories my own way too. Like others have said...whatever works for you.

A former co-worker who was also born-again asked me if my nephew accepted Jesus as his savior. I told him that like many 16 year olds he was reading and searching for a belief or lifestyle for his spiritual path in life, but hadn't chosen anyone or anything before his untimely death...he said bluntly; "Then he has entered the fires of Hell."

Oh, and it is "God, Jesus & I"...
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Artman, taking a wild guess i would say that your former co-worker is a complete f@cking wanker.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Artman, taking a wild guess i would say that your former co-worker is a complete f@cking wanker.

It was on my first week at work when he said that. The next day at work he asked if I had thought about what he said on Jesus and I told him (in front of the boss and everyone) that I would appreciate that he wouldn't discuss his religious beliefs ever again, especially during work. He shut up after that.

Still, I've met f@cking buddist, muslim, hindu, jewish wankers too. Religion, as people...come in all shapes and sizes.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

It was on my first week at work when he said that. The next day at work he asked if I had thought about what he said on Jesus and I told him (in front of the boss and everyone) that I would appreciate that he wouldn't discuss his religious beliefs ever again, especially during work. He shut up after that.

Still, I've met f@cking buddist, muslim, hindu, jewish wankers too. Religion, as people...come in all shapes and sizes.

But religion, as people, generally suck ass.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    You're a bigger man than I, Artman. Had a coworker said that to my face about my brother, I would have gotten pretty beligerent most likely. Hell, even if I was just at work and someone said that to a coworker, I'd have a hard time not getting in their face about it.

So telling that a man who considers himself a "devout" follower of Jesus could approach the untimely death of a teenager in such an uncaring, caustic manner. Christian in name only if you ask me.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

So telling that a man who considers himself a "devout" follower of Jesus could approach the untimely death of a teenager in such an uncaring, caustic manner. Christian in name only if you ask me.

Indeed. He told me about how he was a rebel in his youth and his life was a shambles mentally, legally and with family. Then he was "saved" by another born-again. I think their whole dogma was like if you have sinned or have sinned (present tense) just accept Jesus and your back on the path to Heaven.

The day he told me that "straight to Hell" crap was after we had attended a trade show. Before the show he took me to Hooters for lunch! This is a man who, in two weeks, was getting married. Takes me to Hooters and kept saying, "Look at the ass on that babe! What a rack too! Woowie!"

Of course on Sunday he probably went to church, "accepted Christ" and BOOM...clean as a whistle for the next week...
  • Reply 31 of 36
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Indeed. He told me about how he was a rebel in his youth and his life was a shambles mentally, legally and with family. Then he was "saved" by another born-again. I think their whole dogma was like if you have sinned or have sinned (present tense) just accept Jesus and your back on the path to Heaven.

The day he told me that "straight to Hell" crap was after we had attended a trade show. Before the show he took me to Hooters for lunch! This is a man who, in two weeks, was getting married. Takes me to Hooters and kept saying, "Look at the ass on that babe! What a rack too! Woowie!"

Of course on Sunday he probably went to church, "accepted Christ" and BOOM...clean as a whistle for the next week...

I do find that the "straight to hell" comment completely objectionable, but I also think that many of the anti-religous comments on this thread provide a distorted view of much religious thought and sentiment. (Waits for BR to reply...).

And by the way, just because you are religous does not mean that you do not notice and appreciate women and do not enjoy sex. Nor does it mean that you feel that God condemns you one bit for doing this.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

(Waits for BR to reply...).

And by the way, just because you are religous does not mean that you do not notice and appreciate women and do not enjoy sex. Nor does it mean that you feel that God condemns you one bit for doing this.

Indeed. These days people can make any shit up that they want and call it a religion. Oh wait. It's always been like that. My bad.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Except previously once it was made up the rules were carved in stone tablets and you could choose to follow them or break them.

Nowadays they change dynamically at the whim of the 'believer'. That's technology for ya....

Oh give me a break. Most of the rules were made up by the clergy over the years anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Just trying to save you from this BR

And can we save you from Montrouge (sex city) ? or are you here to save Montrouge ?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Indeed. These days people can make any shit up that they want and call it a religion. Oh wait. It's always been like that. My bad.

I suppose that religious people could just make things up to suit their whim (and some probably do)?but why even bother being religious in that case? Except for people who are being phoney about their faith, things are not quite as easy as you suggest. Being religious involves closely examining the precepts of one?s faith ? as instructed by texts and other teachings of the faith. It also involves closely examining one?s own conscience. But, ultimately, after this examination, it is true that a person?s faith and decisions are their own. Religion is very individual, and so it should be

Now, with regard to sex, I found it interesting to note that a group of conservative biblical scholars did a multi-year study of the Bible a couple of years ago and concluded - a bit to their surprise I think ? that nothing in the Bible actually taught that people should not enjoy and appreciate sex. Passages that some preachers have cited over the years as part of an anti-sex agenda cannot, on examination, stand close scrutiny as supporting that repressed point of view. Now I come from quite a bit more liberal Christian denomination that these scholars to begin with ? so this point of view was hardly a change for me ? but I did find it interesting that even they had concluded this. I do wonder, however, if the Pope would agree.