MP3 bitrate down-converting?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know an easy/cheap way to convert MP3's down to lower bitrates? In my iTunes I ripped all my CD's at 192bit but for the time being, I've only got 32 meg on my new PDA. I'd like to make copies of my MP3's at lower bit rates so I can fit more on. Right now I only get about 25 minutes worth on... sure it sounds great, but I'd like some more quantity in this case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    How about iTunes?

You can convert existing MP3s to MP3s with different settings.

Just select the MP3s in the playlist and choose Convert Selection to MP3 from the Advanced menu. Voila!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I had tried that, but get-info reported the same size and bitrate so I quit after the first 2 or 3 in the play list. I'm currently trying again and letting it finish. The audio quality being played as it's converting is definately lower, so I'm hopeful.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Ok... I found out what's going on... when it's done it throws them in the library with everything else... Got some more settings to tweak... gotta name a different library folder when I do this or something.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I think you will need to change your importing preferences to the lower bitrate, and then choose convert to MP3.

Then you'll have dups, but you can order by date (or bitrate) and easily sort them out.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Ok, I've got down-converting and sorting out all taken care of... now I have a new problem. My covnerted MP3's won't play on the palm. I get a message saying "invalid track:

This track is unavailable for one of the following reasons:

The Memory Stick media is write-protected or does not support copyright control, or the track file is corrupted."

Does iTunes 4 put some kind of copy-protection on the songs when it converts them? Anyone have any experience using iTunes with a Palm OS device. I'm running a Sony Clie' sj-33 with Palm OS 4.1 with AudioPlayer 2.2.1
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Tried it with iTunes 2.0.2 and it gave me the same message. I upped the bitrate to 92 and now it plays them, so I guess the bitrate was just too low for my palm program. I haven't tried it with 4 yet.