Possible Tablet Form Factor for New ibook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Could it be something like this....

12" touch sensitive Tablet approx 1" thick real rugged construction

OSX 10.3

G3 (new version) with atleast 512 MB ram.

80 Gb hd

CDWriter/DVD Playback

No Keyboard/No Mouse

Bluetooth, USB2, FW800

Airport Extreme

Much lighter and portable.

With the new Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, this machine can also be used by administrators to supervise there large networks.

Many more applications would be possible even in the retail space.

Would you buy this kind of a machine?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

OSX 10.3

80 Gb hd

CDWriter/DVD Playback

No Keyboard/No Mouse

Bluetooth, USB2, FW800

Airport Extreme

With the new Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, this machine can also be used by administrators to supervise there large networks.

And priced at like $800. It can be done
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I don't think the technology required to make a sensible tablet is here yet. I don't think the system and application support of InkWell is quite there yet. HWR has to be dead accurate and supported thoroughly and pervasively across the platform before it makes any sense to ship a machine that relies on it - especially if that machine is heading into the education market.

I expect the iBook to remain an essentially conventional laptop for a while yet. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by Apple ID and all kinds of nifty support in Panther, but signs point to another refinement of the conventional notebook.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    With OS X's excellence in graphics and transparency effects, and a touch sensitive screen, would it not be feasible to have a thin A4 sized tablet, weight under 1000 grammes, with a keyboard overlayed on the bottom two fifths of the screen, to use for data input "on the road", with blue tooth keyboard and mouse back at base. It would also be cool to see a charging base support for the screen, which contained the cdrw, etc, for ease of use.

Spiller.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lazzyass86

And priced at like $800. It can be done

Not with a good touch sensitive screen for $800. Look at the cost of Wacom tablets, and that is the Quality that Mac users will expect from a touch sensitive screen, with at least 256 pressure levels and possibly with title sensing as well. Also, I think that a 12" screen might be too big for most tablet "users", I personally would want one no larger than a 6" X 9" form factor, and 5" X 7" would be better because it is easier to hold and write with the absence of a desk on a paper tablet that size.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    iBooks are for students and general laptop users and not for business or special needs. Tablets are expensive to make compared to standard laptops. The new iBooks will remain keyboard-based. SJ has continually said "no tablets". So, I'd say that Apple, as long as he's there, will not release a tablet. Can't be more clear then that. \
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

OSX 10.3

80 Gb hd

CDWriter/DVD Playback

No Keyboard/No Mouse

Bluetooth, USB2, FW800

Airport Extreme

Would be a nice system. Not sure how much it would cost, I don't think $800 is possible. However a company TDV Vison is coming out with a tablet pc at the end of October which is slated to be priced at $899.

The question, I guess, which others raised is if the software is there. I played with Inkwell at the Apple Store (I don't have a Wacom tablet) and found it to be frustrating to say the least.

However, I believe tablet PCs will be beneficial to students and professionals that must take notes and diagrams in the field.

theFly
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I'm sorry. There's no way a tablet is going to REPLACE an ibook. Maybe one will appear, one day a few years from now.

considering apple's laptop sales are overtaking their desktop sales. We're gonna better and better iBOOKS. Books...

iTab sounds horrible anyway.

so does iTablet

or iScreen

• Reply 8 of 8
    Yes, it's real.

The Apple Tablet.

It'll come with Dual Gobi Processors.

The tagline will be:

"take two and call me in the morning"