Official MLB Division Series Topic

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

More like the fact that they don't know the rules.

The fact that they let the Oakland runner who missed the plate shove Varitek and let the runners advance was what set up the call they won't stop talking about (where they did not call interference).

Exactly.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Timlin's performance tonight highlights what an incredibly boneheaded move it was for Grady to use him for only one inning in that first game. Of course, that's Grady's specialty - boneheaded moves.

That 3 inning performance was his longest outing of the season. He did an amazing job, and I thought the A's were going to tag him for some runs, or at least some hits.

When we saw Kim warming up in the bullpen we were getting ready to run Grady out of town. Thankfully, he didn't use him. That would have been a disaster.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    Quote:

That 3 inning performance was his longest outing of the season. He did an amazing job, and I thought the A's were going to tag him for some runs, or at least some hits.

When we saw Kim warming up in the bullpen we were getting ready to run Grady out of town. Thankfully, he didn't use him. That would have been a disaster.

Kim has been a LOT better than people realize. Grady hasn't used him very well and he had a couple of high profile blown saves but he converted 16 of 19 save opportinities this year. We wouldn't be in the playoffs without those saves. He went to the bullpen for the sake of the team even though he preferred to start. He's taken the ball in a boatload of different situations - 5 days in a row, 6 out of 7 games, 7 out of 8 games and he HASN'T melted down. He's shown me a lot of fire even after Grady has cut him off at the knees.

I remember a few years ago everybody in Boston thought Lowe was a loser too. He might have saved the season for us last night. Boston fans should cut Kim some slack.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Yeah, well Lowe never flipped off the crowd.

Plus, people new something was wrong with Derek Lowe, and he came back as a starter and got that no hitter against Tampa Bay. I was at that game.

If Kim gives us reason to cheer for him, we will. But he let a couple of base runners on in the 9th in Game 1 which ended up costing the Red Sox the game. You can't blow important games like that and expect people to be thrilled with you. \
  • Reply 65 of 92
    They're going back to Oakland!
  • Reply 66 of 92
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

They're going back to Oakland!

Wow, can't believe Hudson got injured...heh. The As are slated for their fourth 1st round meltdown in as many years, haha! Zito on 3 days vs Pedro on 4 days? Yikes...
  • Reply 67 of 92
    c'mon Cubs, my (magic)fingers are soooo crossed !!

1 down bottom 9th.....
  • Reply 68 of 92
    edit for double post.....doh!

it's over OMFG I am giddy
  • Reply 69 of 92
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Braves "fans" once again prove they are the worst in baseball and deserve what they get. Go DAWGS! Losers.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Good god amighty-- I will be at the coliseum tomorrow and as God is my witness I will personally will the A's past Boston. This "poised to clinch then down we go" shit must stop now.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I hope Boston wins, it'll keep my dream scenario alive. I want the Yanks to beat Boston for the Pennant and then face and beat the Cubs in the World Series. I mean, how perfect would that be? Crushing Boston and Chicago's hopes of their long denied World Series victory would just be so......Yankees!
  • Reply 72 of 92
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I hope Boston wins, it'll keep my dream scenario alive. I want the Yanks to beat Boston for the Pennant and then face and beat the Cubs in the World Series. I mean, how perfect would that be? Crushing Boston and Chicago's hopes of their long denied World Series victory would just be so......Yankees!

Haha.

for once I like your thinking.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    (sigh) the Yankee devil agents are everywhere.....
  • Reply 74 of 92
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Anyone who is not a dedicated fan of the Yanks, A's or Fish (that last one is a contradiction in terms, I realize) should unabashedly support the Cubs and Red Sox this post season.

Were these two teams to reach the Series, you would be witnessing "real" history in the making. Too perfect for words. Especially if the Cubs win it all.

• Reply 75 of 92
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    GO RED SOX!!!!!!
  • Reply 76 of 92
    GO RED SOX!!!

We Believe!!!!!!!
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Quote:

Yeah, well Lowe never flipped off the crowd.

Williams did, twice in the same game, with both hands and he did it in all four directions just to make sure everybody got the message.

Quote:

Plus, people new something was wrong with Derek Lowe, and he came back as a starter and got that no hitter against Tampa Bay. I was at that game.

So all Kim has to do is twirl a no-hitter and you'll give him a break? Wow! That's pretty generous of you.
    Quote:

If Kim gives us reason to cheer for him, we will.

Like I said, take away his 16 saves and the Sox aren't in the playoffs. There's my reason to cheer him. While his 84% conversion rate puts him at only 8th in the league - good, not great - it's still better than the rest of the BoSox staff.
    Quote:

But he let a couple of base runners on in the 9th in Game 1 which ended up costing the Red Sox the game. You can't blow important games like that and expect people to be thrilled with you. \

And who actually gave up the key hit? Did Embree get booed? I like Embree and don't think he should have been booed either but if you're going to boo anybody, Embree deserved it as much as Kim. Red Sox fans have made Kim the scapegoat for our bullpen problems.

Kim was out of line when he flipped off the crowd but the fans were just as much in the wrong for booing him during the introductions like that. Boo him during the game if he gives up a dinger or something but don't nurse a grudge against the kid. It was the introductions for crying out loud. Does everybody hate him so much that you can't control yourselves even then?
  • Reply 78 of 92
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Anyone who is not a dedicated fan of the Yanks, A's or Fish (that last one is a contradiction in terms, I realize) should unabashedly support the Cubs and Red Sox this post season.

Were these two teams to reach the Series, you would be witnessing "real" history in the making. Too perfect for words. Especially if the Cubs win it all.

Why do you think that? As a fan in a city which has never had a World Series winning team, I'm rooting for the Yanks, Athletics and Marlins to win. If San Francisco can't have a ring, then the Cubs and Red Sox must suffer too. Now that the Braves are out, I'd be cheering for the As first...then the long suffering Marlins...
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

... If San Francisco can't have a ring, then the Cubs and Red Sox must suffer too...

I know, misery loves company. Well, I'm not ready to be miserable.
    Quote:

... Now that the Braves are out, I'd be cheering for the As first...then the long suffering Marlins...

What long suffering Marlins? How old is the franchise? And it wasn't that long ago they won the World Series too!
  • Reply 80 of 92
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    To hell with the Yankess CUBS VS RED SOX!!!!!!!