Partial Router Failure?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just started using a new D-Link router 614+. It has been working fine, but I tried to get it to work with websharing but other can't connect. I set ftp access up the same way and that DID work. I have the trigger and public port set to 80.

Is it possible to has this feature be messed up because this router is refurbished?

Just didn't know if it was possible for part of it to fail but not other parts. I guess I'll reinstall the firmware and maybe that will fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Some ISPs block that port... (just one possible explanation)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Hmm didn't think about that...would make sense. Is there any way to get around that?

Would that explain why my other computers on my local network can access it with private IP but not the IP of the router?

Edit: I use no-ip.com as my DNS host. Is there a way to have a DNS point to a IP with a port so it would be like x.x.x.x:407?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Genius Bar...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

For the first question, yes. You can get around it as long as your server software and it's external client can specify a port other than :80. You configure the router and the OS X firewall to allow that port and you should be in business.

Not sure on the second question, but as long as the DNS IP provider cross-references the IP no's without molesting port requests, the port number request should be appended with whatever port request came in originally. Kind of a big should though, worth a try at least.

Well it just so happens I don't know how to configure OS X web sharing to a different port. Do I have to? It is my ISP blocking port 80, so how do other computers know to access it with a different port unless I have them put :whatever port? Easy way to do this?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Genius Bar...

LoSiento (get it lo siento is sorry in spanish, i think, and it's formatted as your name!)

*bored at work*
  • Reply 7 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

How does port 427 work? Apple lists both that and 80 as the ports for Personal Web Sharing right there where you turn it on. As for changing it beyond those, I wouldn't count on it, that's where you get into third party stuff.

I don't understand networking well, but that shouldn't matter. I don't think people can request my router through port 80 (or 8080 I'd guess.) This sucks!