The cheapening down of Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since the inception of the white iBook, has IMO, looking cheaper and more toyish with each update.

I understand the need to differentiate between professional and consumer lines, but does this mark a sign of things to come? Will future iMacs and iPods come with more plastic than polish?

No doubt there's cost savings to Apple in what materials they use. But I wish Apple would maintain it's attention to quality and not fall into the world of cheaply made/looking PC's.

Lastly, this is not intended to slag current iBook owners (at least you have one).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Since the inception of the white iBook, has IMO, looking cheaper and more toyish with each update.

I understand the need to differentiate between professional and consumer lines, but does this mark a sign of things to come? Will future iMacs and iPods come with more plastic than polish?

No doubt there's cost savings to Apple in what materials they use. But I wish Apple would maintain it's attention to quality and not fall into the world of cheaply made/looking PC's.

Lastly, this is not intended to slag current iBook owners (at least you have one).

Considering all the screaming for low-cost Macintoshes I really have to say that you can't have it both ways. Either you get cheap, or you get quality. Apple is trying to have two lines products to meet both needs, but clearly the cheap products are going to lack in the quality department. Differentiating based on features in the computer business doesn't work very well because the cost of the latest-and-greatest chips tends to be fixed, whereas the cost of the fit-and-finish varies greatly.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Other than the plastic around the hinge, I have no problem with the amount of plastic in the iBook. Compare it to the Pismo PowerBook or clamshell iBook. Are those cheap because they use plastic? Is plastic synonymous with cheap? No.

I'm totally indifferent to the plastic base. It won't tarnish after a year of reacting to sweaty palms like the metal does. Scratches are much less evident.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Other than the plastic around the hinge, I have no problem with the amount of plastic in the iBook. Compare it to the Pismo PowerBook or clamshell iBook. Are those cheap because they use plastic? Is plastic synonymous with cheap? No.

I'm totally indifferent to the plastic base. It won't tarnish after a year of reacting to sweaty palms like the metal does. Scratches are much less evident.

Ahh i just bought a 15" Albook don't say things like that!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ahh i just bought a 15" Albook don't say things like that!

I hardly sweat at all, so it's not a problem for me, but I've seen the TiBooks of some people that sweat profusely, and the metal is stained...I wonder how susceptible the alloy in the AlBooks is to oxidation?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I hardly sweat at all, so it's not a problem for me, but I've seen the TiBooks of some people that sweat profusely, and the metal is stained...I wonder how susceptible the alloy in the AlBooks is to oxidation?

o man i do sweat profusely and i did just buy a 15" AlBook...

maybe i should just spring for a bluetooth keyboard so i keep my seaty wrists off the metal parts
  • Reply 6 of 10
    resres Posts: 711member
    The only reason the current iBook looks so cheap is the white color. Sooner or later they will add other colors (the stark white look can't last forever).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I don't think that's fair to the iBook. First of all, Programmer is right: After all the clamoring for Apple to push down the prices, you're not going to get a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh. Even given that, though, the white iBook looks - and is - far better and far more solid than any PC notebooks in its price range. Dell and their ilk use flimsy plastic with tacky glued-on bits all the way up into PowerBook range.

Apple's doing something right, because it's a hot seller and a leading switcher machine. It's certainly popping up a lot more often around here (Iowa City, not AI), stark white case notwithstanding.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Well ... as a daily user of an old clamshell iBookSE, I think the new iBooks actually LOOK better than mine .... more profesional ! And the plastic cases are definitely cheaper to produce .... and MORE durable.

Looks aside (this thing LOOKS like a toy!)... this machine travels by air several times a week, 52 weeks a year and doesn't wear a laptop case ... it just gets thrown in my regular bag. The thing has been dropped (though not from too great a height and not while the drive was spinning) many times and it just keeps on ticking! The tons of scratches on this are much less noticeable than just a few scratches i see on TiBooks and AlBooks ... and this doesn't dent.

It's performance is lacking these days, but I'd have to be a lot more gentle with a new powerbook ... probably with a new iBook as well (though I no longer consider that an option).

I guess my point is, that while the iBooks may LOOK like a cheap toy, there is actually function within thier form... the plastic shell is extremely durable... both for itself, and in protecting the interior components !
  • Reply 9 of 10
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    From apple's website:

Housed in a sleek, lightweight aluminum alloy enclosure, the PowerBook G4 is resistant to stains and scratches.

Looks like apple heard the complaints before they decided on the new metal. ^_^

- Xidius
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

From apple's website:

Housed in a sleek, lightweight aluminum alloy enclosure, the PowerBook G4 is resistant to stains and scratches.

Looks like apple heard the complaints before they decided on the new metal. ^_^

- Xidius

Just an FYI for everyone, Al is flammable. Watch out!