I'm really stupid. That's it...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
For some reason, I plugged a FireWire cable into my Ethernet port today. It took a few minutes for me to realize that nothing was working. Everything seems fine now, but is it possible that I could have short-circuited something inside my machine? Should I run the Apple Hardware Test to be sure?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    What, what, what?

Well test each port and that should tell you if everything is working ok...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    yeah...that's pretty bad..I plugged my phone line into the ethernet port once, when it didn't fit I jammed it in, as soon as I forced it in I smacked myself in the forehead cause I realized what I had done.

fortunately no damage or anything bad.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    the worse that could have happened is that you could have bent the contacts inside the Ethernet port back far enough that they won't make contact with a plug anymore ... unlikely though, as they have some "give" to them.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the only real problem with firewire is that it's a powered port.

i really would run hardware checks on your machine just to be safe.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    The FireWire plug felt loose in the Ethernet port, so the contacts should be okay...I guess.

I didn't have the FireWire cable plugged into something on the other end...

Still a dumb move on my part....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I grabbed the ethernet sitting on the desk at work today. Wondered why it wasn't working, is DHCP down, blocked macs? Wrong, other end was not plugged into the wall\
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I grabbed the ethernet sitting on the desk at work today. Wondered why it wasn't working, is DHCP down, blocked macs? Wrong, other end was not plugged into the wall\

I can beat that. I spent 10 min trying to figure out why my audio out wouldn't work on my new 15" Tries tons of different apps, went into sound manager 50 million times, restarted twice. I figured it was just because I couldn't wait for panther (think of it what you will) and that I was getting what I deserved. But then when I got up to get another pair of headphones I noticed I was plugging in the wrong miniplug. I was trying to plug in the connector for my stereo

Oh yeah also I had an incident about falling down the steps with my powerbook...though not complete stupidity as much as...ok stupidity.