Power Adapters for Airlines

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I purchased a Kensington Empower airline adapter for my new 17" PBook. After flying on a few American Airlines flights, I came to realize that the adapter does not work (AA uses cig. adapters.). What are people's experiences with airline power adapters? Any brand/model work better than another? What should I be looking for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hemmer1

I purchased a Kensington Empower airline adapter for my new 17" PBook. After flying on a few American Airlines flights, I came to realize that the adapter does not work (AA uses cig. adapters.). What are people's experiences with airline power adapters? Any brand/model work better than another? What should I be looking for?

i wouldn't know they don't let me sit up in the front of the plane where all cool stuff is. Like laptop adapters, comfy chairs, free booze.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Ahh yes, I dream about sitting up front, too!!! But no, these are the inseat power points in coach.....
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Ahh yes, I dream about sitting up front, too!!! But no, these are the inseat power points in coach.....

But be happy the money you are saving will go toward a better laptop. One which coincidentally fits on coach better
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I guess I opened myself up to that one!! Haven't had too many problems yet, actually. Great for presentations once I get where I'm going!! Back to the topic, anyone have any experience with power adapters?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

I guess I opened myself up to that one!! Haven't had too many problems yet, actually. Great for presentations once I get where I'm going!! Back to the topic, anyone have any experience with power adapters?

I looked briefly, but didn't find anything appealing. It seems that there isn't a simple passive adapter that I can use to plug it in (I figure that means they're not providing 120V AC to the in-seat sockets). I'd also like to know if anyone has had more success with this ...

The best I managed was finding a seat at the airport next to a power outlet. I just plugged it in while I waited for the plane, and none of the airport personnel seemed to mind (or notice).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    http://www.lindelectronics.com/ They provide 2 connectors with the unit, one for auto and one for planes. Nice unit and it is small enough.

reg
  • Reply 7 of 13
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    I think the main problem is different airlines have different plugs... They don't use a universal standard, therefore your adapter might not work. The best thing to do if you're flying business is to enquire about this BEFORE you buy your ticket... A number of airlines provide them for free... Ask..
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Thanks for the input. Cheers!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Take a look at the Apple Store online, under Portable Gear. They have several options that work with airline power. We ended up getting the APC Travel Power adapter that they list there due in part to its flexibility. It can power just about anything that uses 75 watts or less (not just PowerBook/iBook), and the car/cigarette adapter comes off to reveal an airline plug. Haven't used it on a plane yet, but it works great in the car!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

hemmer1, AA has power plugs in coach? I fly them all the time, and I've never noticed... Where are they hidden? Only on certain planes? That would rock if I could plug in when I'm flying.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    You bet.

AA's technology page

Go to the "our planes" section and look for the dots on the seatmaps. Most outlets are in the front section of coach, but some back rows have them as well.

Also, next time you board, look for the lightning bolt next to the seat numbers on the overhead bins - they designate power outlets.

By the way, I picked up the kensington auto/air combo kit today. Seemed smaller than the others, so I'll give it a shot.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

By the way, I picked up the kensington auto/air combo kit today. Seemed smaller than the others, so I'll give it a shot.

Let us know if it works. One of these is definitely going on my Christmas list.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Used it today on a AA transcon 757. Worked like a charm! Small and light, too.