Do I have a full install/full access?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all.

I'm pretty new to Apple and OS X. My background is UNIX, and I've got the commandline part of OS X down pretty well - I don't know where everything is yet, but that's changing daily.

However, I've noticed that in GUI apps, I sometimes can't do things I've read about. for example, Netinfo Manager won't let me add or modify anything. Or read the Help file. Many options are disabled in TinkerTool. Stuff like that.

I have no idea whether this is normal or not... or what to do to change it. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jethro1138

Hey all.

I'm pretty new to Apple and OS X. My background is UNIX, and I've got the commandline part of OS X down pretty well - I don't know where everything is yet, but that's changing daily.

However, I've noticed that in GUI apps, I sometimes can't do things I've read about. for example, Netinfo Manager won't let me add or modify anything. Or read the Help file. Many options are disabled in TinkerTool. Stuff like that.

I have no idea whether this is normal or not... or what to do to change it. Is this how it's supposed to be?

In many instances, there's a little padlock icon in the window for you to click on. When you do, it will ask for an admin password and there you go (I think).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The problem with TinkerTool is that those options simply do nothing on 10.2 and are therefore blanked out. They are there as legacy support for 10.1 users.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    sorry to hack your thread but is there a list of the commandline anywhere?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    WHY does the lock look the same when it's locked and when it's unlocked? (:

And what do you mean, list of commandline?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jethro1138

Hey all.

First of all you have to enable the root user. This is made in NetInfo Manager/Security/Enable Root User.