iTMS and computer authorization

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my iBook to a 12inch PB. When I transferred my data to the new machine, I authorized my new Mac, of course. Then I reformatted my iBook and sent it off to the lucky ebayer who bought it.

But, I forgot to deauthorize the iBook before I sent it. Since I reformatted the drive, I'm not worried about the new owner playing my music or accessing my account, but i do want the option of authorizing two more computers in the future.

in iTMS i don't see a way to deauthorise any computer other than the one you're currently on.

Does anyone know how I an get out of this conundrum?

thanks,

NeilyB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    Ok, conundrum gotten out of. I emailed iTunes customer service and they deauthorized all computers on my account allowing me to reauthorize only the computer I use.

Here's the reply I got from them:

Quote:

Dear Music Store Customer,

Thank you for contacting iTunes Music Store Customer Service.

We have manually deauthorized your registered systems from the Music Store. You can now reauthorize the computers that you intend to use. To protect our customers' privacy this is not a service that is generally performed. However, given the nature of your situation we have made an exception. If you're selling a computer or plan to no longer use it, make sure you've deauthorized it before you no longer have access to it.

The Music Store's catalog grows every week. Visit often to preview the latest:

<http://www.apple.com/music/store>

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team

NeilyB
  • Reply 2 of 4
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeilyB

Ok, conundrum gotten out of. I emailed iTunes customer service and they deauthorized all computers on my account allowing me to reauthorize only the computer I use.

I'd wondered if there was a way out of that dilemma. Good to know!

I recently sold a computer on eBay myself. I did remember to deauthorize it, but I worried about forgetting to do so. I've also wondered what would happen if a computer was lost, stolen, or just had the hard drive die. Now I know the way out.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I did that too, except I had reformatted the drive because OSX was screwed up.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    To protect our customers' privacy this is not a service that is generally performed. However, given the nature of your situation we have made an exception.

YEAH RIGHT. Apple does this all the time, because people do what you did (formatting without deauthorizing) all the time.

Barto