Annoying (Dvorak/QWERTY problem)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why does my keyboard keep switching back to QWERTY?

It is so annoying when I am in Mail and I command-Q and it doesn't quit and I try it again and the only thing that happens is that my emails start disappearing. Then I realize the keyboard has switched to QWERTY and I am actually CUTTING the messages, and for some reason this cannot be undone.

UGH.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Qhat Qeyboard Qre Qou Qsing? Qlso, Qhat Qther Qormat Qs Qhere Qhan Qwerty?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I am using dvorak
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I used to have this problem to but I never fixed it I just switched back to QWERTY

Also I imagine the original poster was using DVORK.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Qhat Qeyboard Qre Qou Qsing? Qlso, Qhat Qther Qormat Qs Qhere Qhan Qwerty?

Read <a href="http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/">this</a>;
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Same thing happens to me when I reboot which is thankfully rare.

I have Dvorak and UK English listed in the cute little flag menu for quick switching but when I reboot it defaults to US English and I need to go into preferences and select US English (because it is not selected despite being active) and then deselect it again.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Can you write an AppleScript to change it for you? Then you can just touch it in the dock and bingo, you are back in business.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Hmm.. i've never had this happen. Odd..
  • Reply 8 of 10
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Figure this one out too:

When at the Login Window, my G4 insists on QWERTY passwords even though I'm a Dvorak boy. But the girlfriend's machine wants the last layout that user used ... darn strange. Bug methinks.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Ditto here, each time I reboot my keyboard is reset to querty whereas I use an azerty keyboard.

I hope this bug will be ironed out in Panther, allthough I rarely reboot anyway...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Mine switches back to US English from Dvorak after a reboot too, and the menu disappears, but I just get it back from the System Prefs. I don't do that all that often, and come to think of it, it didn't do it when I upgraded the bad 10.2.8 to the good build. Maybe they fixed it.

I've also had a problem where the password field in an applescript that does some stuff sudo will take whatever layout I'm not on (ie QWERTY when I'm in Dvorak and vice versa). Very strange, but I'm used to it now.

Does anybody know if the keyboard switcher is a true Menu.extra in Panther instead of that weird system-wide menu thing? That would be nice.