Free Upgrade? I just purchased pb.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, im not sure if this is the right category or not. I just ordered a 17" Powerbook 1.33ghz, 1gig ram (512 im buying seperate), and all the good stuff, like the better harddrive for it.

I see panther comes out at end of month, do i get free upgrade or do i have to pay full price of 130 like everyone else? That will blow if i do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Chances are good that you'll get a free or $20 upgrade. Nobody here knows. Apple will announce the program when they announce Panther availability... possibly tomorrow. Check the Apple site mid day eastern time or check Appleinsider. Congrats on your purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Alright, thanks for your help. I know i like this site for news. And im really glad i switched, im sick of my windows machine, error after error, virus after virus, update after update, and all the formats, LoL.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm going to say that Apple makes you full price.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    i'm with scott. usually only those that buy a mac after the announcement of an availibility date for an OS upgrade are granted the discounted upgrade.

NeilyB
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Last year, they gave the $20 update to people who bought computers in july last year. That was a month before Jaguar came out so hopefully my new powerbook will apply.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    You've just been screwed by Apple. Look here for confirmation:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Really angry about this. The G5 thing makes no sense at all (doesn't matter WHEN you purchased a G5 - any other systems must have been purchased on or after today)

Why does a £1400 G5 qualify but a £2000 powerbook not???
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Just cancel your order and then enter a new one. Better yet, phone them and tell them that's what you're going to do and get them to give you a free copy.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Just cancel your order and then enter a new one. Better yet, phone them and tell them that's what you're going to do and get them to give you a free copy.

And wait _another_ 14 days, which in the RDF translates to "about a month"? No thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Posted this in another thread, but in case you missed it:

From the Apple press release:

"The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a new Mac system on or after October 8; all customers who purchased a Power Mac® G5 regardless of purchase date that do not have Panther included; and customers who purchase the Mac OS X version 10.2 ?Jaguar? retail product on or after October 8 for a shipping and handling fee of $19.95 (US)."
  • Reply 10 of 48
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    this is really really stupid...i paid out the a$$ for 1.25ghz powabook and 20gig ipod on same bill and i get no upgrade. i think i will do what stupider says.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Hello Everyone,

I just heard that is there is a grassroots movement to get individuals who recently purchased new AluPowerbooks, particularly new 15" owners to be included in the Mac OSX up-to-date program from Panther. I had a friend tell me that he was so mad that the new 15" owners were not included in the list while any G5 PowerMac owner was regardless of when they purchased there machine are that he called Apple's Public Relations Dept to complain. He was informed that it was not uncommon for Apple to reconsider its stance on the Up-to-Date program if they recieved enough negative feedback from it. So I to called an asked to have my complaint as a new 15" owner whose just had his Powerbook for less than 10 days noted. I'm suggesting any unhappy people do the same and call 1-800-767-2775 to voice their concerns and have there complaint offically logged. Hope this changes Apple's position on the AluPowerbooks. Well its worth a try anyway!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I just called and complained although the 1-800 number listed above did not work. I had to call 408-974-2042 and ask for customer relations. Complaint was logged and they seemed to appreciate the feedback.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Also, note that Apple is charging sales tax on the "shipping and handling" fees when you do take part in "up-to-date."

Most states DO NOT charge taxeson S&H. Be certain to dispute the charge on your credit card. This will cost Apple not only the sales taxes, but a punishment fee from the credit card company.

Then they'll listen. Jack arses.

Further, encourage Apple to charge a reasonable S&H fee - Say $6.95 instead of the rip-off $20.

Nuttin but Love.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, I have a G5!

/Thumbs nose at you guys

Just kidding. Sucks for you, though.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    According to MacBidouille from a french Apple official ; only the G5 and the computers delivered after october the 8 will recieve a free upgrade.

But according to Apple Store France, all the computers bought after Apple expo will be eligible for this offer.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Whine whine whine.

You all knew that Panther was coming. If you had done *any* research, you would have found that Apple rarely gives out OS updates for free or discounted for people who purchased before an announce date. Yet, you go ahead and buy on impulse and expect Apple to make up for your impatience? Uh, yeah.

I feel no remorse for you today.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Brad, I object to you stating that I am whining and that I made an impulse purchase of my powerbook and that I should have waited. First, I am employed as an academic that conducts extensive on-site observations for my research and I do instantaneous analysis using SPSS 11. I needed a laptop for portability not because I thought it was so damn cool. I have a PowerMac desktop but because of research restrictions and needs I cannot afford to be chained to a desk, which would make conducting my research an impossibility. Further, are you telling me that a corporation such as Apple had no foresight as to when they would be releasing Panther? I, and I am sure many others, see this as Apple treating their customer base unfairly. If I had purchased and received my powerbook four or even three months ago I would have no problem with this, but I?ve had my 15? for less than 10 days. I think as an administrator you should be a little more objective in your critic of postings.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    i'm still within my time frame to return my order and re-purchase. called the up to date line and told the rep that he said they dont make exceptions to the 10/8 date. he said to call sales to to see if they can adjust my date....anyways here is the return policy for anyone in same boat:

RETURN & REFUND POLICY

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a pre-built product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 10 business days of the receipt of the product. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 10 business days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Instant Loan or an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Pay close attention to that 10% open box restocking fee. Depending on your purchase, that alone would cost a couple hundred dollars and thereby outweigh the cost of a brand new packaged copy of Panther itself.

rossjj: What about people who bought MDD G4s before the G5 was released? Do *they* deserve a refund or a discount post-purchase? What about people that bought the 15" TiBook before the 15" AlBook was released?

Let's take this outside of Apple. What if I buy a new 2004 model BMW and a month later the 2005 models arrive on the lot. Do you think I could drive my car back to the dealership and say, "I want my money back! You didn't tell me there were going to be cars with newer transmission/engine/etc a month after my purchase and I really think I deserve to have one of those instead!" and not be laughed at?

You just happened to buy at a bad time. It doesn't really matter why you bought your PowerBook. This happens to lots of people all the time. Apple is a business, not a charity. Apple has to draw a line *somewhere* for upgrade pricing and the execs chose today to be that day. It's no different than the date Apple chose when Jaguar was released. If you fall behind that date, you're just out of luck. People need to realize this, get over it, and move on.

Consider yourself lucky that you work for an educational institution anyway, rossjj. You'll still get a substantial discount off of the shelf price.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Brad man, segovius has a point there.

Why is he not eligible? I can walk to a apple store get one of those new PBs) then pay $20 for upgrade.. Why people who ordered looong time ago and still don't have their computers have to pay 129?

This is dumb.

I don't agree with all those guys who want upgrade and already received their stuff, but this... c'mon.