Is it time for a black coloured iBook?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Nothing hides dirt like black.

Erm, sorry, but you've clearly never owned a black automobile. Nothing shows the dirt worse than a black paintjob. Even a white one.

The best colour to hide dirt is, perversely silver.

-Simon
  • Reply 22 of 51
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    maybe a black colored iBook
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

You say "tomayto", I say "tomato"...

-Simon
  • Reply 24 of 51
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

You will note that the thread originator is a Canadian (as am I). Here, as is also the case in the U.K., Aus. and NZ, we generally spell it "colour".

Also, "rumour", "favourite", "honour" etc. It's one of those differences between between "Standard English" and "American English".

We use the extra letter to help keep typesetters in business.

With the total world domination of the U.S., of course, the American spellings are becoming more common everywhere.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    a language that claims patronage to the english language and yet pronounces "Glouchester" as "Gloster" but clearly it should be pronounced, well, "gloww-chester" can say nothing... "Leichester Square?"

hmmm... then again Worchester in Massachusetts is "Wustah" and Arkansas is, god only knows why, pronounced "Ar-can-saw" and not "R-Kansas".

ahem... anyway, 'coloured' just looks... wrong.

Plural of Goose is Geese, so why isn't it Meese for Moose?

• Reply 26 of 51
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

hmmm... then again Worchester in Massachusetts is "Wustah" and Arkansas is, god only knows why, pronounced "Ar-can-saw" and not "R-Kansas".

It's Worcester, actually.

Oh, and bonus points for correctly pronouncing Poughkeepsie.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Hey man, it's the _English_ language. As a proud subject of Her Britannic Majesty, and a sad possesor of two degrees in Linguistics, don't lecture me on pronunciation !

I may live in MA, but it does not follow that I understand a word

these Yankees are saying.

"Leezure suit" ? What the hell is a "leezure suit" ?

ZO, I assume that you're in Paris, "France", not Texas. If you are a native speaker of French, then I quite understand how English can seem baffling in its pronunciation rules. French is far more orthogonal. But, it is not without its own peculiarities:

"ai", "ait", "ais" and "é" all have the same pronunciation. Which certainly makes learning to SPEAK French a little easier.

-Simon
  • Reply 28 of 51
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

a language that claims patronage to the english language and yet pronounces "Glouchester" as "Gloster" but clearly it should be pronounced, well, "gloww-chester" can say nothing...

Gloucester-----two syllables: "Glouce" and "ster"

• Reply 29 of 51
    I'd buy a black g4 ibook at 1Ghz.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjf

ZO, I assume that you're in Paris, "France", not Texas. If you are a native speaker of French, then I quite understand how English can seem baffling in its pronunciation rules. French is far more orthogonal. But, it is not without its own peculiarities:

"ai", "ait", "ais" and "é" all have the same pronunciation. Which certainly makes learning to SPEAK French a little easier.

-Simon

Paris France... thats where I am now, not where I'm from.

Grew up in middle east, NYC, Italy, Belgium, Prague, now France... education was in US English all the time.

I'm a nowhere man...

this thread reminds me of that "joke" about how the English language should be transformed into a more "germanic" spelling. Bekoz ze inglish lngwage iz pronownced better zis way. Hmmm, guess you had to be there...
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Yes, but it would have to be special AppleBlack - not just ordinary black. Basically it would have to be very black. As the boys from Spinal Tap said "none more black".

I agree. We all think differente, and want to look different too.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    how about a dark sapphire blue that is iridescent and slightly shimmery. or maybe a pearly white or how about a pearly grey color that is lighter and warmer than aluminum, but not much darker than white.... it has to be less industrial than the aluminum, since it seems professionals get industrial and consumers get dentist office.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Maybe some of you English-as-a-first-language people don't realise this, but English is a horror house in terms of pronunciation. Think about it. You cannot look at a newly learned English word and be 100% sure how to pronounce it.

pool: is [puhl] (makes sense)

poor: is [por] (wtf?)

book: is [buk] (wtmf?)

cheat: is [cheet] (uh-huh)

caveat: is [kahvjat] (hullo??)

rate: is [rayt] (ah-yuh)

moderate: is [modret] (excusez moi?)

car: is [kar] (d'accord)

cat: is [kjat] (merde)

spleen: is [spleen] (OK)

been: is [ben] (dude)

The list goes on and on and on.

As for the iBook. What about matte-black? And when I say matte, I mean, REALLY matte... sand-paper rough, almost bumpy in texture. And then, in the middle, nice bright white Apple logo. Might be nice.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Carbon is cooler than pure black
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Gloucester-----two syllables: "Glouce" and "ster"

As someone who grew up in Gloucester, MA, I'd like to point out that it's actually "Gla-stah"...

Many visitors pronounced it "Glowster", of course.

• Reply 36 of 51
    Hmmm, so is black the new black then?

• Reply 37 of 51
    Anyone ever seen polished Hematite? It's black, but with the impression of silvery depth. You can find examples at the discovery store.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Mock-up anyone?
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Anyone ever seen polished Hematite? It's black, but with the impression of silvery depth. You can find examples at the discovery store.

Yeah, it looks nice, but it's also EXTREMELY heavy.

Nah, I'm for black anodized aluminum, if anything.

Peace,

C|Q
  • Reply 40 of 51
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    How about some one doing this buying new macs paint them the color people wont them then selling them for more? Stupid some may say? Look at thoes flower imacs older ones and ones with designins on them. Some people like them then charge a cupple hundered more.