Best FTP Client

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am new to using an FTP Client, I currently have fetch 4.0. Is there another one that is better? easier to use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think you'll hear A LOT of people here - myself included - heartily recommend Transmit.

It's all I've used for nearly two years now.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yes, if you want best ftp client, i don't think anything rivals transmit right now for user interface and features.

BUT, if you are a student, fetch is free and is halfway decent, so...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Hmm, FTPeel would be such a rival to Transmit. http://freshlysqueezedsoftware.com/products/ftpeel/

Also, if you only need SCP, you could use http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/
  • Reply 4 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    damn, someone just told me about fugu (and i hadn't checked back to this thread to see your suggestion for it too, chucker). it looks eerily similar in funcion and arrangement to panic's transmit (but without the pretty icons). i mean, i am sure there are other differences, such as bbedit integration, and active previews, but for most people, this FREE front end to the software built into mac os x is a nice alternative...

(though, to be honest, i like supporting the folks at panic)
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Friend of Fetch here.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I got Fetch free because I'm a student. It works just great. And it's a venerable application - it also runs perfectly well on my PowerBook 520c.

RBrowser Lite is free, but it's pretty confusing and difficult to use.

Also, a search for "FTP Client" turns up 80+ results, many of which are relevant... I'm not meaning to be a jerk, it's just that I've seen this same question asked and answered so many times.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Also, a search for "FTP Client" turns up 80+ results, many of which are relevant... I'm not meaning to be a jerk, it's just that I've seen this same question asked and answered so many times.

Can one of these threads just become a sticky? It's starting to show up every week now.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Whatever happened to good old ftp?

[MyMac:~] username$ ftp ftp.apple.com

It's simple, fast, stable, no nonsense and takes roughly 30 seconds to learn if you know anything at all about using the command line. If this is not the case, my apologies.

By the way, ftp via the Finder is greatly improved in Panther, I hear. Drag and drop should be nice too...though I'll still use the command line ftp for its ability to resume broken downloads.

Blueflame
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blueflame

Whatever happened to good old ftp?

[MyMac:~] username$ ftp ftp.apple.com

It's simple, fast, stable, no nonsense and takes roughly 30 seconds to learn if you know anything at all about using the command line. If this is not the case, my apologies.

I've tried using command line FTP, but I don't get it. Could you explain?

Basically, it always asks for a username and password even for a public FTP. So I can't use it, it keeps asking me for a name and password.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Basically, it always asks for a username and password even for a public FTP. So I can't use it, it keeps asking me for a name and password.

username: anonymous

password: [email protected] <your email address>

That's it.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    resres Posts: 711member
    I've been using fetch for years and love it, but here are some others you can try:

Captain FTP

FTPeel

Transmit

Fugo

Vicom FTP Client

RBrowser light

NetFinder
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Every now and then I tinker with LiFTP if I need it. It does the job. Still can't figure out how to set permissions with it though.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Transmit if you want to pay, Terminal if not. Also FTP in finder in panther says you can only connect to read only FTP servers, You cannot upload with panther FTP.. Thats what it says anyways.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Correct. The FTP in the Finder in 10.3 has improved stability, but it still does not allow you to upload.

BOO APPLE!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Transmit if you want to pay, Terminal if not. Also FTP in finder in panther says you can only connect to read only FTP servers, You cannot upload with panther FTP.. Thats what it says anyways.

Transmit if you want to pay, Fugu if not.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    fetch is hard to use

fetch user here
  • Reply 17 of 19
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    RBrowser Lite is free, but it's pretty confusing and difficult to use.

RBrowser Lite user here
  • Reply 18 of 19
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Captain FTP

Captain FTP is nice. I've been using it for a month or two now.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Just downloaded Fugu. It kicks ass! Although I got Fetch for free, Fugu is far better and now I use it exclusively.