My PowerBook has arrived

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ordered on 09/25/03 at the Durham NC Apple Store (the store gets credit and also provides Mac Pac since first Mac for my wife). Shipped on Oct 1. Could not check Airborne shipments unless by phone call.

The PB arrived at Noon on Monday Oct 6 consisting of the following:

15"

1.25 Ghz

1 G ram (two slots installed by Apple)

Superdrive

80 G HD with 5400 rpm upgrade

Looks great and now reading manual.

This is second Mac after almost 20 yrs of PC's. Bought iMac 17 in March 2003 and never looked back. The OS X is so superior to MS!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Congratulations! Enjoy it.

Any photos?

I'd be curious to hear about that 5400 drive, in terms of heat, battery life, performance, etc. Don't know anyone who has gone with that particular upgrade yet...you're the first.

• Reply 2 of 14
    Terribly jealous here! Mine shipped from Taiwan on the 5th so hopefully it will clear customs and be in my hands by Friday.

I too ordered the 5,400 spin hard drive, for video editing, and will keep the group informed as to battery performance and heat.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Is the PB very hot? I have been told those new PBs are so hot like a frying pan after being turned on for over half an hour
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Is the PB very hot? I have been told those new PBs are so hot like a frying pan after being turned on for over half an hour

the new 12" we got seems alot better than the old one
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

The 15" is hot on the power supply's (back) half, but not frying-pan style hot. You can drain a battery and still hold it in your hand without the "hot potato" reaction. The Rev. A 12" sounds hotter.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    My new 12" Rev. B can get warm, but nowhere near hot. It never gets hotter than my iBook 500 MHz (Dual USB). It does seem to warm up faster...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

So far the PB has not been hot but warm mainly in rear right! I was on for about 2 hours calibrating the battery. We will use the PB much more tomorrow and will give you another update.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by switchfromdell

Ordered on 09/25/03 at the Durham NC Apple Store (the store gets credit and also provides Mac Pac since first Mac for my wife). Shipped on Oct 1. Could not check Airborne shipments unless by phone call.

The PB arrived at Noon on Monday Oct 6 consisting of the following:

15"

1.25 Ghz

1 G ram (two slots installed by Apple)

Superdrive

80 G HD with 5400 rpm upgrade

Looks great and now reading manual.

This is second Mac after almost 20 yrs of PC's. Bought iMac 17 in March 2003 and never looked back. The OS X is so superior to MS!!!

I have exactly the same config as you, but I have crucial ram, very happy with it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    I ordered similar to others on 10/7. Apple is listing shipping as 10/22 or sooner. Is this conservative on their part or par for the course. I'm a brand new switcher, so I have no freaking clue.

1.25GHz

512MB RAM-2X256MB

80GB @5400rpm

superdrive

20GB customized iPod (apple has a deal for .edu folks right now)

bluetooth mouse

AppleCare

I'm going to upgrade the RAM later, when prices go down. I'm also curious about how the 5400 drive works in terms of heat, battery, etc.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The shipping date is usually accurate. In fact, mine shipped three days before the date Apple posted. The problem is that it is shipping from the Far East which means extra time in route and extra times sitting in customs. Mine is somewhere in Limbo about right now instead of in my hands, forcing me to type this letter on a POS Dell.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

I ordered similar to others on 10/7. Apple is listing shipping as 10/22 or sooner.

Have fun paying full price for panther!

Sorry that was cruel......

But seriously, get on the phone and if they don't give you the "free" upgrade, cancel and reorder!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Have fun paying full price for panther!

Sorry that was cruel......

But seriously, get on the phone and if they don't give you the "free" upgrade, cancel and reorder!

Calling...dammit...holding...dammit...still holding...dammit.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Ok, here's the deal. I just got off the phone with Apple. Any computers that ship on or after 10/8 only have to pay $19.95 for the upgrade to Panther. That seems very reasonable to me.

The fellow on the phone specifically said that while Panther has been released, no date has been set for including Panther installed on any machines. I would presume after 10/24 though.

Hope the info helps some folks.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    Quote:

my 15in aluminum runs hot after using the superdrive to burn something. above and below the superdrive area gets hot but nothing like frying pan or anything and its just a little warm on the lap.

BTW how much time do u all show at 100% battery life?