Noise Cancellation headphones: Advice?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Its my bday soon and the only thing I can think of (economical) to ask for is a pair of headphones.

I travel a lot (train and plane) and have heard of the "miracles" of using noise cancellation headphones to relax (even not for listening to music).

so... lets say I want a good quality, hopefully stowable/retractable noise cancellation headphone, what do you guys advise?

I hear sanheiser (sp?) being thrown around a lot, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I'd look at the Shure and Etymotic earphones that also function as earplugs, taking background noise down a fair bit. I think they are in the same price range and unlike the noise cancelling phones they don't rely on a constant and predictable background noise. They are also generally considered a bit more 'audiophile'.

I've got a pair of Shure e2 myself, and I'm very happy with them, though some people just don't find them comfortable. (note that the only difference between the e2 and e2c is the packaging, and you can get the e2 cheaper (the c stands for consumer)

http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e2c.asp

I've also got a pair of Bang & Olufsen A80 which are nice, light, stylish and comfortable though not considered audiophile and not noise-cancelling but with a similar price to the others.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw1612.asp

• Reply 2 of 19
    One intriguing thing I heard about the noise cancelling earphones is that they allow you to listen in to conversations around you as everyone else has to talk above the engine hum that you can't hear.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    hmmm, anything that covers the easr rather than buds? That is still 'portable'?

I havent found a pair of buds that doesnt hurt after a few hours..

thanx for info so far
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I bought the A80s because standard buds (and a pair of Sony Streetstyle with the band at the back of the head) hurt my ears after a while. I think they are the most comfortable earphones I've ever used.

The earplug kind are tricky to get in correctly but it is still an entirely different kind of uncomfortable compared with buds.

The thing with earphones is it's tricky to try them out properly without buying them.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Whatever noise cancelling headphones you do get, make sure whatever source you buy them from allows you to return them for your money back.

Noise cancelling headphones have an effect on a fairly large number of people that use them. It can make you nauseous, (which is ironic since the word noise is derived from the Vulgar Latin word "nausea").

It has something to do with pressure in the inner ear.

Anyway, I personally haven't experienced this using them. But my coworker just did and luckily he could return his.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Has anyone here tried the Bose headsets available at the Apple Store? They're pricey, but I've read that they are excellent.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

thanx for info so far

Perhaps the Sennheiser PXC250? These are mid-sized headphones, still portable, with noise canceling. They're also not THAT expensive and they got a good value rating at Headphone.com. But like any noise canceling headphone that artificially cancels sound, they require a battery pack.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes Stupiderlikeafox is right, I tried the Bose ones at the Apple store and they do let you hear people better. They just cancel white noise. It's really nice, and the Bose are comfortable, but then you remember they are $400.

Also they need a little gadget that houses the noise canceling circuitry.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I have a bose outlet in my area at home, and every so often I go in to drool.

Last time I was there, they had a display for their 300 (?) dollar noise cancelling headphones. They mimicked the low rumble of a jet plane, and had you take them on and off. The difference was remarkable. I was amazed. I don't know the model number, but they were big headphones, not buds.

If you travel enough, it could save numerous headaches... assuming you don't suffer from that inner ear pressure thing johnq mentioned.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The in-the-ear Shure and Etymotics come with foam and rubber tips. I have sensitive ears so when I plan on long listening sessions, I use the foam tips. I don't even feel them.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Last time I was there, they had a display for their 300 (?) dollar noise cancelling headphones. They mimicked the low rumble of a jet plane, and had you take them on and off. The difference was remarkable.

I've tried that demo too, you have to remember that they can muck about with their fake airplane noise so that their headphones can cancel it perfectly. Reality is never as predictable.

Another thing to remember is that you feel, as well as hear, the engine on a plane.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ouch, 400 dollars seems a bit steep.

The sony earbuds seem interesting. Is a battery pack needed as well?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

thanx for info so far

I got these Sony's (MDR-NC5) awhile ago. They worked great on my flight across counrty and they fold up nicely.

Lacking a bit of low end, but not bad sounding at all and the noise canceling works great.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...sp?product=213

These any good? They have a separate battery pack though

• Reply 15 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Of course, most noise cancellers have that little box that needs batteries. If there were headphones that had that built in to them that would be nice, but I can see how come tonton says they're "hissy." Those sony earbuds sounds really interesting! I just broke my $50 sony headphones I got 5 years ago. Duct tape wasn't able to fix them, they hang limply (they're "street" style around the back.) I'll have to splint them but seriously tonton do those sony earbuds have good bass and range?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    re: Bose noise cancelling headphones, Between the extra batteries, the slight distortion, esp. bass, of your music, extra weight, and the price tag, I'd consider getting either stupider's Shures (approx $99), or a pair of Etymotic ER-6s (approx $139), or those sonys that tonton mentions ($40?) at least to start with.

I have a pair of Etymotic Er-4Ps that drop external noise by about 25db... think being on the bus and not hearing anyone, and the bus is a faint rumble. And all this is without batteries or anti-phase sound generation. Lo-tek but it works.

I'd go with the Shures for $99 if I were you. Read reviews on the web of the boses, Shures, Sony's and Ety's, see what other people's experiences are.

Then again, I'm sure the Boses are decent headphones. But for $400, I'd rather spend the coin on audiophile grade headphones (which the noise cancelling phones are not). Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with your present.
  • Reply 17 of 19

I do like the in ear noise cancelling headphones such as Bose QC20, AKG K391 NC, Sony MDRNC13, Bose is very expensive but it's very comfortable and effective for cancelling out the ambient sounds.

• Reply 18 of 19
    ebsoundebsound Posts: 2member

Bose QC20, an active noise cancelling headphones, sounds good and very comfortable. It has built-in battery, which can lasts up to 16 hours.