Panther to be Released in Last Week of October

coscos
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
"Mac Rumors has received reliable confirmation that Panther will be launched during the last week of October with a corresponding in-store Apple event (similar to the Jaguar launch).

Previous hints had noted that Apple was organizing an Apple Store event for October 24th, 2003. Our most recent information, however, fails to provide the specific date for the launch and only pinpoints the last week of October."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Did I mention to you guys I think it will be released on Halloween?

• Reply 2 of 79
    *bitch-slaps Moogs upside the face*

no syit...
  • Reply 3 of 79
    Oh! If I bring my treat bag to an Apple store will I get a free copy or will I just get X shaped gummy fruits?

At the very least, if I dress up in my panther costume... do I get a discount?

• Reply 4 of 79
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    It will be interesting to see how the quality is. Jaguar was horrible in its first incarnations as it was undoubtedly a rushed job. Some early reports seem to suggest the same is true with Panther.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

It will be interesting to see how the quality is. Jaguar was horrible in its first incarnations as it was undoubtedly a rushed job. Some early reports seem to suggest the same is true with Panther.

That's not what I've been reading. I've heard lately that they only have had a few bugs to fix and it was very polished.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Quote:

I seems to me that everybody and their kid sister (here and at MacNN) have been jumping up and down with glee with the Panther builds they've used over the past few weeks - "snappy" and all that.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Well, I think I'll be getting a copy the second it's released. Then I'll be getting a new video card... Oh yesss.. Sweeet..

Panthery graphics goodness... Mmmm.

Jimzip
  • Reply 8 of 79
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Jaguar was horrible in its first incarnations

It was? That's news to me.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quite Like Myself

Oh! If I bring my treat bag to an Apple store will I get a free copy or will I just get X shaped gummy fruits? At the very least, if I dress up in my panther costume... do I get a discount?

Dude, if you walk into an Apple Store with that outfit, and they don't give you a 50% discount for 10.3 on the spot, I will be deeply disappointed. That would make a cool news tidbit on Apple.com. Shows they still have a sense of humor / are connected with their user base.

• Reply 10 of 79
    bring a date

• Reply 11 of 79
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Is anyone suddenly thinking about Natassia Kinksi visa vie 'Cat People'?

No? Just me?

Right then...

Screed
  • Reply 12 of 79
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    MacCentral claims that Panther is to be available October 24!
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Ah you just beat me to it. Does anyone know what the build number is yet? I`m guessing 85..
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:

all customers who purchased a Power Mac G5 regardless of purchase date that do not have Panther included; and customers who purchase the Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar" retail product on or after October 8 for a shipping and handling fee of $19.95 (US).

I was wondering how Apple was going to handle the G5 owners, alteast they get a heafty discount.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

I was wondering how Apple was going to handle the G5 owners, alteast they get a heafty discount.

I can see some unhappy AlBook-Owners...
  • Reply 16 of 79
    It's official, it's on the Apple front page with a live Netromac countdown. Woo-Hoo!
  • Reply 17 of 79
  • Reply 18 of 79
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Apple's front page has a countdown.

edit: Alex beat me to it.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Quote:

I can see some unhappy AlBook-Owners...

Yeah but in all fairness they knew panther was comming shortly, They even said so at the same time they released the AIBook..

I would still be pissed anyways. I frequent AI, I always need something to bitch about.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    I really like that box.