Family pack?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does the family pack mean that I HAVE to buy the family pack if i want to install on two networked computers?

and if so what about multi-partitioned drives? . . . . naw that stoopid

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    lfroglfrog Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Does the family pack mean that I HAVE to buy the family pack if i want to install on two networked computers?

and if so what about multi-partitioned drives? . . . . naw that stoopid

If you are installing on 2 computers, networked or not, you need 2 licenses. This is not new. The family pack is less expensive in this situation since it is only $199, not $129 x 2 for 2 computers. In my view the family pack proposition is a nice option to have since it allows up to 5 copies to be installed by people living at a single location.

I would think only one license is needed for multi-partitioned drives since it is the same computer and only one copy can be running at a time.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Family pack was 5 licences right?

Just use calculator, is it cheaper to buy 2 licenses separately, or get family pack?

It doesn't matter if your computers are networked or not, each one should use separate license.

As far as partitions are concerned, you will need only 1 license, as all partitions are on the same comp.

That being said, i have 2 macs, and i will not be buying 2 copies of Panther. I will get one and install it on both my home computers. Bite me :-)
  • Reply 3 of 29
    To be honest, I have my single copy of Jaguar on both my desktop and iBook. I really don't think Apple believes that people in my situation would buy the family pack.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

To be honest, I have my single copy of Jaguar on both my desktop and iBook. I really don't think Apple believes that people in my situation would buy the family pack.

Well that depends on if Apple plans on going to Product Activation or serial numbers. I'm glad they have the Family Pack. If you have two or more computers it really helps.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Panther includes license key activatiion via software update. The LKA protocol exchanges processory type and SN (if avail) to the key server.

You will need individual licences at some point.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by sbuchan

Panther includes license key activatiion via software update. The LKA protocol exchanges processory type and SN (if avail) to the key server.

You will need individual licences at some point.

Yes, but isnt the serial number it transmits your machines SN#? since all versions of the OS so far use your machines SN. each copy of the os is mass distributed and does not have a unique number on it(unless they went to do a key generator type software and that would require the software to come with the alphanumeric key
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Before that discussion gets serious...

i don't think apple would have a problem with me running 1 copy Panther on 2 of my macs.

Honestly, if i would own 4 macs i would get fam. pack.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    woohoo! first post!

Anyway I think piwozniak is totally correct, 2 computers most likely will be OK.

Even Microsoft isn't that harsh, they will let you install and activate a single copy of windows XP on your tower and on your laptop. I was surprised to hear this but you just explain to them the situation and they get you on your way.

Time to hibernate till launch day.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I have 5 machines and will buy the family pack! It is a great deal. i remember paying a heck of a lot more for Windows XP!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I have 5 machines and will buy the family pack! It is a great deal. i remember paying a heck of a lot more for Windows XP!!!!

You have 5 macs working @ home?!?

(i don't think you can use family pack on business machines)
  • Reply 11 of 29
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Hmmm... College Dorms... That's one location right? It's one address... I'm sure I could rally 5 of us together to go in on a family pack. That would make it $40 a piece instead of the $70 EDU price.

Hmmm....
  • Reply 12 of 29
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple is cutting you a deal by allowing you to purchase a Family Pack. If you have two computers your are legally obligated to purchase two copies of the OS. They are saving you almost $60 if you purchase the Family Pack for two computers. If you have five computers, like Gregg, then you are saving almost $450.

From Software License Agreement for Mac OS X, Single Use License:

2. Permitted License Use and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time..."

Quote:

Originally posted by nbk_buzzkill

Even Microsoft isn't that harsh, they will let you install and activate a single copy of windows XP on your tower and on your laptop. I was surprised to hear this but you just explain to them the situation and they get you on your way.

Really? Is that why Microsoft has this web page that states the following: "...you may install one licensed copy of Windows XP on one computer. Microsoft has offered retail partners in the U.S. and Canada the ability to sell additional licenses at a discount. If you own a licensed copy of Windows XP, check with your local retailer or order additional licenses from shop.microsoft.com."
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Thank You very much fahlman for this friendly reminder...
  • Reply 14 of 29
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I got the family pack for jaguar. I have it running on 3 computers right now so I still have 2 left, which will be used up soon unless I get panther.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    Ok all read this

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time...

It says one at a time so intheary you can have it installed on as meany computers as you like as long as you only have that computers running not the other. Apple rilly needs to make beter aggreaments so meny ways to get buy it. I my self have 6 macs. heh

Pm6100

Pm7300 Runs OSX

pb1400 cs dieing

imac running OSX

ibook running OSX

G4 running OSX server
  • Reply 16 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    install and use

What's this about software key for updates or something?

I have a 12" PB, iBook and old ass iMac that will get upgraded but I only planned on buying one Panther. I'm not stupid.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jay1

Ok all read this

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time...

It says one at a time so intheary you can have it installed on as meany computers as you like as long as you only have that computers running not the other.

"This license does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time..."

If it is installed on 6 computers then it exist six times. So this would be against the license.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    So here is a question, if I chip in with several friends here in my college dorm suite and we get a family pack, would that be legal? I mean, it can't be contigent on the purchasers being related, can it?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tzizzle

So here is a question, if I chip in with several friends here in my college dorm suite and we get a family pack, would that be legal? I mean, it can't be contigent on the purchasers being related, can it?

* Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.

The license is invalidated for a user once he/she moves out. I'm sure one person can take possession of the license and transfer it to another "household"
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

"This license does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time..."

If it is installed on 6 computers then it exist six times. So this would be against the license.

So if two computers are running the same OS X from a Single User License copy, connected by Ethernet, will the software basically inhibit use of network-activity/use of one of the computers, or is it just a moral thing? m.