Just saw new iPod commercial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just saw the last half of an iPod commercial on ESPN. It has all of the "black shadow" people against the colored backgrounds dancing like the banners on apple's website a few weeks ago. I assume this is the first time they have been aired. If not, I don't know where I have been. They were actually pretty cool. Finally a slight change in advertising. Comments on how people like them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Cool ^^,
  • Reply 2 of 52
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Sounds nice. Perhaps they'll show up on the Apple website soon.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    I saw it at lunch at that time too. I didn't realize it was the first airing. Unfortunately the TV was in the bar area so there was no sound and closed captioning was on. The visual was striking though.

ART JeRK
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Here it is, lo-rez though.

The ad itself is great. Having the bright colors of the print and outdoor ads "come to life" is very eye catching and pleasingly un-Apple.

The music however, is a total disaster.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    now thats a killer ad campaign, really great to see the ipod doing so well

is it just me or is it wierd how many people you see with ipods just walking down the street. i was going to class today, as i was leaving my building, i saw a woman walking in while taking her headphones off, and then as i was biking to class, i saw two more people using one. its kinda cool in a way. also kinda neat how many you see if you do alot of biking or jogging on parkways/trails etc. those white earbuds are a dead giveaway. now if only apple could find a way to do the same thing with the mac.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Yeah, these new commercials are definitely better than old ones. I'm glad Apple has finally found success outside of its traditional nitch market with this device. Here's hoping they will remain a dominant in the music player market. No one's been able to challenge them so far. I wonder if DELL is anything to worry about?
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Apple has posted the new ad here.

The file name is iPod-ad-hip_hop_480.mov and the front page link mentions the new iPod ads, plural. This gives me hope there are other versions to come with better music. A different cut of this ad with Radiohead or The White Stripes would be awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I wonder how long before pscates comes in here ranting that Apple should have done this years ago
  • Reply 9 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's better than the crap we've had up till now, but that's not saying much. The best recent ad was the Verne Troyer/Yao Ming ad...every ad since has been pretty craptastic.

As an individual commercial, it only 'targets' the jive/dance crowd or whatever the hell that music was. All I know is that I don't identify with the music or the dancing.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    At least this one has more style than the bland, boring, crappy ones from last year and earlier this year. Yeah, it could use some better music (who the hell picks out all the music for Apple?), but at least they have a better basic idea.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Glad to see others hating the "music" also. I thought I was gonna get jumped all over.

As I mentioned before, the file name is iPod-ad-hip_hop_480.mov, which gives me hope there'll be a version with THE ROCK.

(Not the actor)
  • Reply 12 of 52
    So awesome. Visually beautiful and put together well. And a great soundtrack. For those of you bitching about the music, where the hell have you been?

This thread makes me glad that TBWA\\Chiat\\Day doesn't head hunt on this board!
  • Reply 13 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by advocate

This thread makes me glad that TBWA\\Chiat\\Day doesn't head hunt on this board!

They don't need our help making mediocre ads. They're doing that quite nicely on their own.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by advocate

For those of you bitching about the music, where the hell have you been?

I didn't say I was unfamiliar with the music, I said the music sucked.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Wow. That's wild. I don't care so much about the music as the style. It's something completely new. Stark, bold colors, with only silhouettes and the iPod. I've never seen anything like it.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    The music doesn't suck.

I mean I know it is subjective, but that isn't even the main type of music I listen to and I don't mind it, although I can listen to almost any time of music. I think it will register with lots of people though, I mean just the look of the add draws attention.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    That is a great commercial, I saw that one on NBC during the West Wing.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [rant]WTF?!?!?! Apple should've done this YEARS ago! [/rant]

That one's for Luca...

Why does it kinda remind me of those HORRIBLE new McDonald's "i'm lovin' it..." spots?

I do hope they expand the campaign and feature a little more variety. Not everyone dances like that.

• Reply 19 of 52
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

is it just me or is it wierd how many people you see with ipods just walking down the street. i was going to class today, as i was leaving my building, i saw a woman walking in while taking her headphones off, and then as i was biking to class, i saw two more people using one. its kinda cool in a way. also kinda neat how many you see if you do alot of biking or jogging on parkways/trails etc. those white earbuds are a dead giveaway. now if only apple could find a way to do the same thing with the mac.

ipods are extremely popular in ny. as i walk to the subway station, i usually spot atleast one person. on my first train i'll usually notice one or two people. on my second train atleast two more, usually three or four. and then like one more between that station and the office. sometimes others will have them in the elevator. i agree that the while head fones help a lot in pointing them out. and also, these aren't like the same people day to day, i rarely recognize any of them. its a lot of ipOdage.

i like the new commercial. not my favorite type of music, but it struck me. definitely a lot better than the `random jackass tries to sing' commercials.

i was just thinking: how cool would it be if they made a commercial with some Floyd or Dead music, and some real trippy itunes visualizations.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Why is Apple showing only black people listening to their iPods, with their respective music?

I see about 10 people a day walking around the city with their iPods. And maybe, one in 20 are black.

As for the actors in the spots, they were moving around like those dancers in the rap videos I see at my gym, which totally turns me off. It makes me feel almost embarrassed to use my iPod - as if I'm not young enough, hip enough, the wrong color, or I don't move around well enough.

That's just the way I feel. Maybe they're not trying to sell iPods to me, and my lifestyle. Heck, if they showed some white dude in his 30's on a treadmill, at the gym, listening to his iPod, (vs. gyrating like there's a live carp in their shorts) they probably wouldn't sell too many of them.