Free Upgrade? I just purchased pb.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    i agree with sego...i just bought this thing and it would make sense for apple to inclunde it. but anyways i'm back to being a happy apple customer we have settled

brad: thats not a very good analogy...more like upgrading wheels or adding a spoiler on your bemer but then again if u rollin on 20s then u can just buy it straight up
  • Reply 22 of 48
    So call that # someone listed and said to complain, telling them i bought it yesterday, and i want a free copy included or at discount price or what?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Hey someone (check the other threads, i don't remember which one) already spoke with apple rep about that.

any computers SHIPPING on or after today will be eligible,

SHIPPING,

SHIPPING,

S H I P P I N G.

Sounds fair to me.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Hey someone (check the other threads, i don't remember which one) already spoke with apple rep about that.

any computers SHIPPING on or after today will be eligible,

SHIPPING,

SHIPPING,

S H I P P I N G.

Sounds fair to me.

Im calling now to talk to 1 myself, cause i wanna get the name of whoever i talk to that says it will be by the day it ships, cause im making sure i get it for 20 dollars, LoL
  • Reply 25 of 48
    This has been said before, but I'll repeat it:

Brad's point about our complaints not being justified makes sense, but for one thing: the G5 offer.

Why should the people who bought G5s be privileged? My PB15 was released AFTER the G5 and costs more than the lower and mid range G5 model. So why should the G5 get the cheap upgrade and the AlBooks not? It makes no sense to privilege the G5 users...

I'm callin that number and complainin
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by pumpkin

This has been said before, but I'll repeat it:

Brad's point about our complaints not being justified makes sense, but for one thing: the G5 offer.

Why should the people who bought G5s be privileged? My PB15 was released AFTER the G5 and costs more than the lower and mid range G5 model. So why should the G5 get the cheap upgrade and the AlBooks not? It makes no sense to privilege the G5 users...

I'm callin that number and complainin

Because Panther will do to G5 more that it will do to G4.

When you bought G5 you expected 64-bit workstation, etc....

Well you will need panther to get there, that's why.

right?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    to further clarify, what exactly does shipping mean. my powerbook shipped yesterday (10/7) and will arrive here on friday (10/10) at the earliest.

will that qualify me for the 19.99 discount?

i really hope so!
  • Reply 28 of 48
    broken...

They look at 'invoice date' which is generated as your stuff ships out.

So if yours shipped yesterday you are out of luck.

You can call them, but i don't think it will do any good.

Sorry, bud :-/
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Sorry Brad, but you're comparing hardware to software, and that just doesn't make sense. No one is complaining that they deserve a different model Powerbook for this.

Apple should extend this offer to anyone who bought a machine in the last 3 months, it's the only decent thing to do, especially since they don't offer upgrade pricing (and yes, I know you get a "full" version of every OS, which is nice, but Apple doesn't give you a choice, which isn't too nice at all).
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Apple should extend this offer to anyone who bought a machine in the last 3 months,.

Why?

I believe they do it right the way how it is being handled now,

If your computer shipped before today, you are out of luck. They have to draw a line somewhere right? And it is release date.

If your computer hasn't shipped yet, then you got panther for $20.

What's wrong with that?

They could just release it on 24th for $130 you know...
  • Reply 31 of 48
    the rep i just spoke with said nothing about shipping date. he said you had to order your mac today or after to be eligible for the 20 buck update.

i said fine, i guess ill just return my powerbook when i get it.

he said fine.

didn't even care.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...08140829.shtml

Some powerbook owners are qualifying. (despite the order date)
  • Reply 33 of 48
    I just wanted to confirm what joek noted about some powerbook owners qualifying for the $20 upgrade to Panther.

I followed joek's link to the story and then to Apple's online Up-To-Date page. I followed the directions for non-G5 purchasers and after entering in my SN for my 15" AluPowerbook bought in September I was told that I had an eligible system and ordered my copy of Panther.

While this is wonderful personally for me, I find it somewhat problematic in that the public statements of Apple do not gel with the realities for who is eligible for the Panther Up-To-Date program.

Thank you joek for this valuable information, you are a lifesaver.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    My September 19th purchase (9-20 delivery) 17" Aluminum 1.33 PowerBook has qualified for a $24 update to Panther.

Hopefully it will arrive.

MSKR
  • Reply 35 of 48
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    my september 6th purchase of a 12 inch PB has qualified.

NeilyB
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Brad,

I disagree, we just shelled out good money for a state of the art machine and what do we get in return? no upgrade! Every powerbook line I have owned comes with those damn upgrade coupons that are useless. I have never ever qualified with those stoopid things. Why even put them in the box? I waited six months for a upgrade to the aging powerbook and when we finally get it doesn't come with the latest operating system. I have had my machine one day and out comes Panther ha ha! Is that fair? I don't think so. I would expect a policy that would give thiry days after delivery to redeem an upgrade not 31 nor 33 but 30. Spell it out, make everyone aware that is a standard procedure for every major upgrade. Even 2 weeks would be a step in the right direction. But this business of giving upgrades to low margin G5 purchasers over high margin laptop customers (who make 42% of the market) is wrongheaded, It is not the money it is the principle. Oh okay it is the money. But still their system is bass ackwards and applied unfairly. It is wonder why there are pirated copies of the OS floating around.I'll bet after this there will be many laptops that will be running them.

BTW I am a shareholder of Apple computer.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

I would expect a policy that would give thiry days after delivery to redeem an upgrade not 31 nor 33 but 30. Spell it out, make everyone aware that is a standard procedure for every major upgrade.

I agree. Be consistent, Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I agree. Be consistent, Apple.

They are. For many years the policy has been that orders made on or after the day that they announce the release date of a software package are elligeble for the Up-To-Date program.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Posted this in another thread, but in case you missed it:

From the Apple press release:

"The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a new Mac system on or after October 8; all customers who purchased a Power Mac® G5 regardless of purchase date that do not have Panther included; and customers who purchase the Mac OS X version 10.2 ?Jaguar? retail product on or after October 8 for a shipping and handling fee of $19.95 (US)."

errr - that's for the folks in North Anerica - on the UK site it says:

If you purchased a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (with part numbers M9020B/A, M9031B/A or M9032B/A) on or after August 16th, 2003, that did not include Mac OS X version 10.3 ?Panther?, you are eligible to participate in this programme.

Ordered mine July 2nd, got it October 2nd - so far Apple reps tell me that it's the July 2nd date that counts - I'm not letting it lie....

And yes, I know Apple can decide what the heck they like, but this continental difference and the fact that we were dicked around with three times on our delivery dates means I'm thinking we UK (and European?) owners ought to get just a little payback for our custom...
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

They are. For many years the policy has been that orders made on or after the day that they announce the release date of a software package are elligeble for the Up-To-Date program.

But they are not consistent, in that they are providing free copies to G5 users. I know they have done it with good intentions so they can optimize their machines etc.. But the fact is I spent more money than most G5 pruchasers and Apple made more profit.

I called 800-767-2775 asked for an operator and then customer relations. The person was very helpful and lodged a complaint. He said he had gotten quite a few. Let's keep hammering them. Maybe they will reconsider. Those of you who did not buy new gear recently you are welcome to complain as well. The call is toll free in the u.s.