G5 Request to Owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey G5 owners, I have a little request.

I have a 1.8 and I just want to see if you guys have this on your 1.8 or 1.6 or Dual.

1) When it is on I hear a constant steady sound that kind of sounds like a air pump in a fish tank, it is not loud but people on the Apple discussion place keep complaining.

2) When I am in Photoshop and I have a really large image open and I take the move tool and move the image, if I have my ear over the G5 I can hear a really faint whisling type sound, it is rearlly really quiet but kind of wierd, it stops when I stop dragging.

3) (most important) when I click Shut down, and then Ok, the little wheel spins, blah blah, and then when everything turns off, I hear a loud whisle from the computer, it is about half a second but I hear it from far away. It is pretty loud.

Is this stuff normal? I really do not mind, but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong, I got it 2 days ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    #2 is your graphics card. it makes noise. same thing w/my powerbook.

not sure about #1 or #3. i've never shut my G5 down since getting it, and my office has to many computers to hear the G5 over any of them.

hope that helps somewhat.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The whistling could be the fan/hard drive spinning down or the capacitors discharging. You would have to be a little more specific for a better answer. \ When I turn off my 19' CRT, I can hear a little whistle/crackle or when I turn it on.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    1. I think this is the fan that is always on: I always hear it in my 1.8. You can actually see it moving if you look through the cheese grater.

2. I second the graphics card explanation. Heck, even my old TiBook did this as well.

3. Mine makes noise when shutting down. Never thought anything of it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have the graphic card noise too. but if I'm not trying to ignore it. I ignore it. If that makes any sense to you.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    alternative explanations:

remember... as many as nine fans (in a Dual) are potentially at work

graphics cards may have additional fans, power supply, etc.

"4 distinct cooling zones", air moved across/through mesh holes

1:

fan noise, possibly power supply. depends where/when you hear it.

run Marine Aquarium and you'll never notice it again

2:

as noted already, GPU fan likely culprit,

but some claim to hear their CPU fans too

3:

what note does it whistle? record it and check pitch.

different models / ram configs ought to have different pitch due to subtle airflow changes

perhaps fans spinning down are getting harmonic flute effect

as air (now decreasing in pressure) ducts over holes, fan housing, heatsink fins, etc.

if it's B flat, you're probably fine, but if it's C#... uh oh.

• Reply 6 of 14
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    It is not really a whiteling sound, it is more like metal scraping type sound and It doesn't happen just in Photoshop but whenever I am doiing something power heavy. But I hear it in Safari too, and it is kind of annoying, but like I said before, I can barley hear it.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    wait, one more thing, if you put your hand anywhere at the bottom of the G5 it vibrates, does it do that to yours?

crap, I hope I do not have to get it replaced
  • Reply 8 of 14
    woo... just got done with Apple support... everything is fine... we got it fixed
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

woo... just got done with Apple support... everything is fine... we got it fixed

What did the problem end up being?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    well i reset the PRAM, and pressed this one button on the motherboard... and I also put a pad underneath the handles so it does not vibrate on my wooden desk... it stopped the stuff that sounded not normal
  • Reply 11 of 14
    only thing I know is final cut pro crashes hella lot!!! and I updated it all the way.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Final cut pro seems to run fine, but it doesn't install too well

I have a version 3 cd and it would install but then when launched it would say some authorization code thing was not found. Called apple and he told me this was originally a problem with the dual G4's, they were "so fast" that the installer skipped right over installing the right authorization stuff. So all you do is install the 3.1 update over it and then its fine. He was surprised to find out that this is a problem with the dual G5's as well, and said he would report it.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    PowerBooks make chirping noises as well...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

Hey G5 owners, I have a little request.

I have a 1.8 and I just want to see if you guys have this on your 1.8 or 1.6 or Dual.

1) sounds like a air pump in a fish tank

2) whisling type sound

3) when I click Shut down, , I hear a loud whisle

Is this stuff normal? I really do not mind, but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong, I got it 2 days ago.

I 've exactly the same thing on my Dual 2.0 but not on my 1.6.

Plus the Radeon 9800 make a high pitch noise...

Plus when I "shaking/resize" a window in the finder or Safari. If I do that in less than 20 sec. the fans goes up. Idem with visualizer in iTunes.

When you're additioning all this noises... I can't tell you that it is very annoying ! It's more louder than my Dual G4 1.25 !

In comparison my 1.6 is whisper quiet. No fishing tank, no chirping, nothing.

I also asked to Lionel from MacBidouille who has also a Dual 2.0 with a 9800, if he has all these problems. He told me he don't have any !!!

So today, my Dual goes to an AppleCare technician for all the week-end.

I will tell you how it goes.