New AL buyers! get panther for 20 bucks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought my 15 inch AL on 27 Sept and they accepted me as a 20$ upgrade on Panther! Just go to this link:http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...mber=M9231LL/A

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJer

I bought my 15 inch AL on 27 Sept and they accepted me as a 20$ upgrade on Panther! Just go to this link:http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...mber=M9231LL/A

Yep, word's going around that lots of new PowerBook owners are qualifying. Let's hope they all don't get a disappointing email from Apple in the next few days saying "oops, we made a mistake."
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJer

Not fer me BTO 1.25 ghz 15.2
  • Reply 3 of 56
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Won't work for me, either.

I did call Both Apple and my EDU rep to complain.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    It doesn't seem to work on bto models.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Bloody hell it doesn't even recognize my serial number. Would be nice to own panther legitimately.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Worked like a charm for me. Stock 1.25 Superdrive 15" AlBook purchased Sept. 26th. Already got my confirmation email from the Apple Store.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

nooooooo - please tell me you're wildly speculating...

I think BTO models use a different serial number..I'm not absolutely sure, but everyone I have seen with BTO models couldn't go trought.

Well, I have to buy panther for 129$ then..

\
  • Reply 8 of 56
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Macbippy has this interesting tidbit:

Quote:

AppleStore has organized a procedure for analyzing the numerous request regarding MacOSX update Panther program

If you want to claim a free MacOSX update Panther for a computer not qualified according to Apple Panther Update web site, but delivered after the 25th September, that is the way to proceed : Send a message to :

[email protected]

In your message, you should mention:

- web ordering number (starting with a W)

- purchasing date of your computer

- delivering date

All the request will get an answer within 8 days

Anything like this going on in the States?
  • Reply 9 of 56
    The update program worked for me! Purchased stock 1.25GHz SuperDrive model on September 17, got a message saying I qualify for up-to-date. Thanks, Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 56
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I qualify

$29 Canadian

1ghz 15" AlBook

ordered the day of the keynote

shipped on the 20th
  • Reply 11 of 56
    bto here too... wont recognize serial number.

i guess apple doesnt want our $20... they would rather promote pirating.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

bto here too... wont recognize serial number.

i guess apple doesnt want our $20... they would rather promote pirating.

Yar Mate
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Mine is BTO and did NOT work either.

Crap Dee Dah!
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Excuse the cross post: But I thought the info might be helpful here

I called 800-767-2775 asked for an operator and then customer relations. The person was very helpful and lodged a complaint. He said he had gotten quite a few. Let's keep hammering them. Maybe they will reconsider. Those of you who did not buy new gear recently you are welcome to complain as well. The call is toll free in the u.s.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    it sounds stupid but i ordered online and when i first tried to enter my serial number i had just copied and pasted from the about this mac panel. there is a dash before the last few letters. it would not accept it until i removed the dash , then it worked fine. hope that helps..

and whats with getting charged the extra 4 bucks for shipping? i can understand the 2 for tax but the 19.95 says for shipping and handling. so now we're being charged for shipping shipping and handling handling?!
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Bought my 1ghz 17" PB on Sept. 11 and qualified for the rebate. BARELY squeezed it on my Apple Loan!!
  • Reply 17 of 56
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hmm, I got my eMac on September 21st. If people are qualifying with PowerBooks purchased earlier, I think it's worth a shot. Unfortunately, the automated qualification thingie doesn't recognize my serial number so I'll have to call in.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    toadietoadie Posts: 78member
    I got my 12 inch powerbook in the Apple Store on 10/3/03. My serial number was recognized. w00t! Of course... I lied on the online form and said I bought it 10/8/03, just to be safe...
  • Reply 19 of 56
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Worked for my 15" PB purchased 9/27/03.

Helpful note: I had to remove the dash from the SN # to make it work.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    666666 Posts: 134member
    i ordered mine on the 22nd of sept, but it's only just shipped 2day, would I qualify?

the qualification date is 8.10.03 in australia..

I haven't got my pb yet, so i can't check the serial numb.