Apple Stock Keeps Creeping Up

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know a lot of people have suggested that the the release of Panther later this month, coinciding with people getting their new G5s won't make much of an impact on Apple's stock, but I've been watching it creep up bit by bit for the past year. Now, I'm running a Panther build on a brand new 1.8 Gig G5 and all I have to say is "OH MY GOD!" I think everyone is underestimating the WOW factor of the combination. I'm telling everyone I know to buy Apple stock now because a few months from now, it'll be too late to get in on the ground floor. Just a suggestion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    The real boost will probably come from iTunes for Windows. Apple is already selling a ton of iPods, and they could possibly triple that amount...(hell, it could be way MORE than triple) when the other 97% of the market gets the product.

The overall economy is also getting better, so that will probably help. My AAPL is my computer fund. I own 100 shares, so it needs to go to like 35 or 40 for me to be happy. I bought two years ago at 19.5....thinking it wouldn't go much lower. Imagine how I felt when it went to 11.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    At 40 I'd poop my pants because i'd be up 3500...but I don't expect it to get there within the next 2 years if we are lucky.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

At 40 I'd poop my pants because i'd be up 3500...but I don't expect it to get there within the next 2 years if we are lucky.

You would Poop you pants if you knew how many shares I bought at 13, 14, 16 & 20

I've been tempted to take profits a few times but am holding tight. The "bad" thing is that I sold all my Pixar stock so that I could load up on Apple after the Vivendi B.S. Pixar is a very good stock and keeps on climbing but I'm still way ahead having jumped on the Appl bandwagon when it was El cheap-o.

Go Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

You would Poop you pants if you knew how many shares I bought at 13, 14, 16 & 20

I've been tempted to take profits a few times but am holding tight. The "bad" thing is that I sold all my Pixar stock so that I could load up on Apple after the Vivendi B.S. Pixar is a very good stock and keeps on climbing but I'm still way ahead having jumped on the Appl bandwagon when it was El cheap-o.

Go Apple!

Wise move. Historically, buying Apple stock when it is around $15 is always a good move. Just remember to sell it when it is around $80.

Man I wish that I wasn't going to graduate school. I have had to pass on alot of good times to buy stock. I guess I'll have to rely on my 401k for retirement.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

The real boost will probably come from iTunes for Windows. Apple is already selling a ton of iPods, and they could possibly triple that amount...(hell, it could be way MORE than triple) when the other 97% of the market gets the product.

Not sure that this is the main driver - sure it will help (each iPod probably contributes around $80-100 in gross margin), but I think the real kicker will come from the G5 roadmap (3Ghz DP, g5 in powerbooks). If you extrapolate the competitive landscape 12 months from now, the PowerMac should be 20-40% faster than Wintel and the G5 laptop offering should significantly outpace Wintel - top this off with a very interesting operating system (MS probably won't have anything new to offer until 2005-6).

The future's bright. AAPL has around $13 of cash per share. There is a great range of products available today and in the pipeline. There is massive operating leverage in the business between its current scale (revenue of $6b) and peak cycle levels (circa $10b). AAPL has a long way to run. Hold on to those shares.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

was that before the stock went to $100 and split?

(if so, then we may, if not, then not impressed)
  • Reply 7 of 26
    The tech stocks have been doing well recently. Everytime one of the biggies reports good earnings it affects all the others. Even though iTMS is not making any real money for Apple at the moment (according to SJ) the addition of Windows accessibility should speed up the process towards profits. Add Apple's continued good sales in portables and the possibility of new form iBooks around the corner, things look good. The G5 desktops are real money makers. The most profitable line Apple has (other then the iPod). Next weeks quarterly report should be good and right on target.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The tech stocks have been doing well recently. Everytime one of the biggies reports good earnings it affects all the others. Even though iTMS is not making any real money for Apple at the moment (according to SJ) the addition of Windows accessibility should speed up the process towards profits. Add Apple's continued good sales in portables and the possibility of new form iBooks around the corner, things look good. The G5 desktops are real money makers. The most profitable line Apple has (other then the iPod). Next weeks quarterly report should be good and right on target.

Tech stocks are doing well because some of them are rather undervalued. After the dot com bubble burst, people just jumped ship for no good reason on some stocks. I bought a year ago and haven't regretted it since.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Tech stocks are doing well because some of them are rather undervalued. After the dot com bubble burst, people just jumped ship for no good reason on some stocks. I bought a year ago and haven't regretted it since.

Why didn't you let me know which ones when you purchased them?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I bought at $70 pre-split, mid-bubble.

Then I bought some more when AAPL hit $13.

But the stock has to hit 50 before I break even.

Let's not even discuss my forays with CSCO...

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 26
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

I bought at $70 pre-split, mid-bubble.

Then I bought some more when AAPL hit $13.

But the stock has to hit 50 before I break even.

Let's not even discuss my forays with CSCO...

Screed

I got luckier than you. I bought initially @ $19 and it went up to over $25 before investors went braindead. After it dropped to $14 I bought again, I really really didn't think it was possible to drop to $12.30, which is crazy because of the $4 billion Apple had in liquid assets, read cash, which works out to $12/share.

My conclusion, people are sheep and the stock market reacts accordingly. Wish I had more $ to [i]play[/p] with(ie. very risky business the stock market is). Long term I think Apple is a good investment, what with its' open source stance, IBM 970 and OS X. The ipod and iTunes is gravy.

But then again I've been wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Looking at AAPL over the past 8 years, its last cycle seems similar to what its going through now. In 97 the stock had gotten down to the mid-teens with all the clones and Gil Amelio years. Then Steve Jobs stepped back in the picture and started letting Apple's creativity really shine and the stock slowly crept up for awhile while people started having some actual confidence that it wasn't just going to tank. Since it was as low as it was, it was the perfect time for people to hop on board. I bought at about 20 last time and saw it soar all the way to 120 before spitting. If I'd been smart, I'd have sold then because it had greater odds of going down then since all their new products and new consumer interest had peaked. Then, it did go down. Winding up all the way back down in the mid-teens again. So, I bought a shit-load more at 15 and I'm riding the wave until Christmas time when all the G5 and Panther WOW factor has peaked and the Christmas spending frenzy peaks because it at that point, I have more chance of losing my gains than of making any more. Thats my twisted logic, but it makes perfect sense to me and I've already made over $10,000 in gains since this reinvestment at $15. Thats why I say, buy now! Its not going any lower for the next few months at least with Panther and G5, but it certainly may go a lot higher. In the gamble of stock investing, those are pretty good odds.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

My conclusion, people are sheep and the stock market reacts accordingly. Wish I had more $ to [i]play[/p] with(ie. very risky business the stock market is). Long term I think Apple is a good investment, what with its' open source stance, IBM 970 and OS X. The ipod and iTunes is gravy.

Bingo. People are marketing sheep and they go with the market. Knowing how dump people are actually makes it pretty easy to game the market for stocks that are obviously undervalued. People have no patience whatsoever. BTW, Sun Microsystems is cheap again ($3.60).
  • Reply 14 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    SUNW's cheap, and it'll stay cheap...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    To all the naysayer's, take a look at the market today. AAPL crept up to another high of 24.27. It just keeps steadily going and going. Like a Panther....creeping up on its prey....(hehe, just had to put that in for fun). But anyway, spread the word. BUY BUY BUY. Now is the time.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Airweasel45

To all the naysayer's, take a look at the market today. AAPL crept up to another high of 24.27. It just keeps steadily going and going. Like a Panther....creeping up on its prey....(hehe, just had to put that in for fun). But anyway, spread the word. BUY BUY BUY. Now is the time.

Posting at AppleInsider for people to buy isn't going to inflate the price like you want. Go to http://forums.stocks.nystocks.com/ and post there to get the price inflated! (not a real website...least I don't think)
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Well, I'm finally in the black too. I bought around $21 a few years ago, sold at like $26 and bought back in at $24. I used the profits to up my stake in AKAM, which has been doing nicely lately too. Overall, this month's been good to me. Here's to iTMS kicking ass.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    AAPL approching $25; prepare to jettison!!!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Hey, I'm not trying to inflate the stock or anything, I'm just putting forth the logic that leads me to believe that AAPL is going to jump and get really high again like it did before when it got up to 120 and then split. All I'm trying to say is, if you want a wise investment, investing in AAPL now before it goes up after all the hoopla that will come about when people start using Panther on their new G5s is a smart choice. Take it or leave it. I've already seen the value of my stock go up $10,000 in value over the last 8 months. Thats my tip...and I'm outta here!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    no seriously, do you think it can go a lot higher ?

I bought some stock at 15$, sell some of it at 21$.

My fixed limit to sell is/was 25$... it's approaching

But two things : First. Is the stock going high because of wednesday or thursday ? Second. After *each* earning calls the stock goes down, do you think this time as well ?

I'm tempting to sell all my stock now... but i'm seeing the 30 not so far also whatodo whatodo ???