What tech do you least want to see in new computers?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What tech do you least want to see in a new desktop or laptop? All this talk of future hardware usually should come with the disclaimer that some new ideas are really bad ideas. Some future tech is just plain useless. Here's my favorite piece of technology that I least want to see in a new laptop that lots of people view as a necessary piece of technology: fuel cells.

Fuel cells basically take fuel (hydrocarbon fuel or hydrogen) and turn it into electricity. Fuel cells were created for the Apollo space program to power spaceships reliably and with no moving parts. Fuel cells will probably be the next big thing for automobiles in about ten years.

Unfortunately there are some people who think that they would be great for laptops. The idea is that you could run the fuel cell and never run out of charge. Who could hate something so useful? Well me for example. Let's think this through. I buy my laptop and then I have to carry around some gasoline in a squeeze bottle so that I can refuel my laptop. What if I spill? I have a laptop with combustible liquid on it. Do I have to make sure that nobody is smoking within ten feet of me when I refuel? Should I statically ground myself when I refuel? Is my laptop now a combustion hazard (yes, it is)? How many years do I spend in jail for trying to take my laptop with me on an airplane? Do I start getting nervous when my laptop gets really warm? Do I carry around a can of zippo lighter fluid? What do I do when I am out of fuel? Do I run to a gas station at midnight because my laptop is about to power down? Who thinks that this is a good idea? I sure don't. It isn't simple. It isn't convenient.

What other tech do you not want to see in a future computer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Windows!

sorry couldn't resist!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Totally silent computers. Ala the cube but even quiter. How?

Apple would reduce the last remaining bits of noise by having a speaker that plays a reverse audio wave of the environment thereby cancelling out the ambiant room and computer noise. Similar to the Noice Cancellation Bose Headphones. The Silence would be deafening.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    USB 2.0

re Fuel Cells

The flammability thing is a non-issue. The fuels will be well packaged and might not even be flammable. I recall reading that the fuel was a mixture of water and methanol. It probably could burn if you really tried but it wouldn't go off with just a spark.

My issue with fuel cells is that they are not rechargeable. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It would be nice to get 10 hours or so of life from my PB. On the other hand, I could not just plug in and recharge and get an additional 10 hours. I'd have to find a kiosk (or Apple Store ) and buy another cartridge for what? $10? It might be nice if I fly a lot or spend a lot of time at conferences and such where one can't get an AC outlet. However, for daily use Li batteries are not that bad.

I think fuel cells will get a lot of attention but will not be widely adopted as quickly as you would think from all the buzz.

Also, fuel cells will not be out for at least a year and will not be widely available for perhaps two or more years. In that time we may see enough improvement in battery and laptop design to make Li batteries look more appealing.

If batteries get a little better at holding charge, in lifetime and even a smidge better capacity while laptop power demand (OLED screens, better HDs, better CPUs) and power management improves we may see honest eight hour usage times even with Li batteries. At that point fuel cells may be relegated to a niche market.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Touch Screen
  • Reply 5 of 34
    least want to see?

car alarm screensavers.

there was an old SNL skit about "noise-seeking lasers"

that would vaporize late night screewoopwoopmeepmeepbraapers

most want to see (for portable devices)?

alternative power options:
    • Solar charging laptop bag (with enough juice to run and charge at once)

• Gilligan/Hamster power wind-up (akin to Baygen radios and flashlights)

• "kinetodynamic" or motion-powered (like some watches... arm movement recharges them)

perfect for iPod.

enough blackouts this year to look like a swinging cluestick.

no wires is good. no grid is better.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That I least want to see? Fission-powered ion engines.

What I most want to see is whatever gives me honest-to-Steve all-day battery life. With wireless networking goodness. I'm a patient man.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Edit: Bah I just saw that this said least

In that case anything that involves turning my computer into a tablet.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    Electric toothbrush.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The least i want to see , is an autodestructive button.

Imagine that one of your kid, press this button by mistake ...
  • Reply 10 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    future address the present

silent, no fans--solved with liquid cooler

thinner--oled, minimal battery, fuel cell

plug in ram disk for instant boot up

very durable

drives--with huge ram would this be necessary, xd card i heard can go 8gb. maybe a series of these cards instead of a hd and optical drives--would this ever be replaced???

AE/BT combo card

micro sized pcmi slot/cards

only usb and firewire ports, get rid of those serial and other bulky ports

tiny power "brick"--for emergency use, fuel cell 10hrs, and can be refueled while on.

how about 1/2 inch, ruberized, thatt can be dropped repeatedly from 5 ft.

or wrist watch that plugs into a rollup oled screen all voice activated.

we keep talking about the future of the laptop(how much faster do we need), it's the surrounding lack of connectivity that limits us, we should be able to use our 12PB anywhere, everywhere, superbroadband(>5mbs)everywhere

future--cover the country with wifi, wireless everything, the future should have total connectivity all the time. wireless broadband from your home, car all public places.better voice recognition, intuitive instructions, learn our preferences. if connectivity was universal like cell phone coverage, we'd take our laptops more oftern, then the need for thin light and functionally small. more would by 12 screen, all laptops would be widescreen, because we need more page space with voice scrolling.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Voice recognition and head mounted displays.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Voice recognition and head mounted displays.

now we're talking
  • Reply 13 of 34
    The anally-articulated mouse pointer interface (to replace the mouse). Is "hands-free" capability that necessary?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    My wish list.

HMMM

I want a home server that I can load all my programs and multimedia content on to and then share it amongst all the computers I have in my house. It would be integrated with my cable TV and Stereo system and all my vcrs dvd players and TV's. It would serve up the internet and monitor all of the clients so that they are up to date. It would have strong security features and it would backup files automatically. Best of all it would be cheap to implement and be virtually self maintaining.

Next I want static ram drives. Cheap and fast. The clients could net boot what they need for an OS and no seperate ram would be needed.

more to come later8)
  • Reply 15 of 34
    rectal probe identification "no butt is the same" (thanks to Randycat99 for the inspiration)
  • Reply 16 of 34
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    After a while, that recurring "enter your password" prompt may get more than just annoying.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Any tablet functionality. Tried it when beta-testing a Tablet PC and absolutely hated it. But then again, Apple are probably the ones to bring something nice out of the tablet technology - come to think of it, I already know I will crave the Apple tablet computer...
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

My wish list.

HMMM

I want a home server that I can load all my programs and multimedia content on to and then share it amongst all the computers I have in my house. It would be integrated with my cable TV and Stereo system and all my vcrs dvd players and TV's. It would serve up the internet and monitor all of the clients so that they are up to date. It would have strong security features and it would backup files automatically. Best of all it would be cheap to implement and be virtually self maintaining.

Next I want static ram drives. Cheap and fast. The clients could net boot what they need for an OS and no seperate ram would be needed.

more to come later8)

I think you ought to read the thread's title more carefully.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    I once discussed with some friends the logical successor to the scrollmouse. Now, I know, there are going to be avid fans of the scrollmouse who'll get upset about this. But, well, it's like this.

The scrollmouse provides a slightly different but easily accessable way of performing a certain operation. There is a minor but noticable benefit in performing the operation "the scrollmouse way" (using the wheel) but the penalty is that a chunk of what's under your fingers suddenly becomes dedicated to a specific, trivial, operation. Users, because there's a benefit, quickly become acustomed to the new feature and get very annoyed when they're made to use a mouse that doesn't support it.

So, here's my contribution for the tech I least want to see in new computers, and it's based upon the scrollmouse: a row of buttons, under the space bar on the keyboard, marked "The", "And", "There", "Hello", "Some", "Now", "This", etc.

Hit the key and the word is auto-typed for you, complete with a leading and trailing spaces if necessary. Hold shift and it's capitalised. Have CAPS LOCK on and it types the whole thing in caps. And, for Microsoft keyboard behaviour compatability, if you hold down shift and have CAPS LOCK on it'll put the first letter in lowercase and the rest in caps, lIKE tHIS.

You may laugh. But consider: People will start using it. And once they get used to hitting the key to the below-left of the space bar to type "The", they'll get very annoyed when they use a keyboard without the "The" key. And they'll say "Your keyboard sucks, I have to go all over it to type "The" when on my keyboard I just hit one button".

THAT, my friends, is the innovation I don't want to see in new computers. But something tells me someone's about to do it.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what if one key to put your email address, or other repeatedly used information, or copy/paste list so you are not limited to one thing at a time, sort of a memory "copy" "paste"

how about pull down menu where you can place frequently used terms