Panther: Where did Keycaps go?

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Keycaps is nowhere to be found...

And don't tell me that the character pallette is to be the repalcement. You cant even *@$!%#@ select characters and copy them to the clipboard!!!! What use is that stupid thing???????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Keycaps is nowhere to be found...

And don't tell me that the character pallette is to be the repalcement. You cant even *@$!%#@ select characters and copy them to the clipboard!!!! What use is that stupid thing???????

um, i believe the character palette is suposed to be the replacement (i know you told me not to tell you that, but...). if you're trying to place a character, find the symbol or character int he palette, and click the "insert" button... the symbol will be placed in the frontmost application when the character palette was called forward, an placed wherever the text insertion point is at that time. seems pretty simple... if you need it to go elsewhere, i guess you could THEN copy it to the clipboard...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Aw, man! Keycaps was the killer app for OS X!

Um...when did anyone ever use it?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Aw, man! keykaps was the killer app for OS X!

• Reply 4 of 18
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    well, just copied Keycaps from the other Mac and it works fine in Panther as well.

You'd think that with THREE CDS to install they could spare 244KB for such a small app

Any third party "key cap"-like apps worth mentioning?

I guess that there will be a ton of them in a few weeks seeing that Apple hasnt included it.

Grrrrr
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Aw, man! Keycaps was the killer app for OS X!

I dont know about you, but I havent memorized the entire Keyboard layout when you press Alt, or ALt+Shift, or Alt+Apple buttons, etc. The TM symbol, copyright, etc.

Also, for anyone that speaks or writes in other languages (Swedish, French, or what not) that have a ton of letters with weird symbols... well, Keycaps was basically the only savior for you
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I used it. A lot.

It's THE tool for learning where the special characters are located (using the option and shift keys). Keyboard shortcuts for special characters makes typing on a Mac a wonderful experience, leaving Windows miles behind in the dust. If you are bilingual and find yourself typing, say, spanish a lot, these shortcuts are essential.

Plus, it comes in handy if your keyboard ever breaks. Yes, I actually used Key Caps briefly when my H, I, and Y keys broke a while back.

I will miss Key Caps. No, I'll just archive and keep an old copy around!

edit: well, ZO, great minds certainly think alike.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    soosysoosy Posts: 23member
    I totally agree. Key Caps is cool. I had a keyboard break on me recently and used it quite a bit while repairing. Also used it to test out a new keyboard.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    that special charachters pallet is stupid, you have to find it and then cilck inthe insert button?? wtf?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    OPEN System Preferences

SELECT International

SELECT Input Menu tab

SELECT Keyboard Viewer

SELECT Show Input Menu in Menu Bar

BTW Its much better than Keycaps.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I never used key caps. I just pressed buttons until I found the right one. It took a while at first, but I eventually got most of it down. It's pretty easy.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

OPEN System Preferences

SELECT International

SELECT Input Menu tab

SELECT Keyboard Viewer

that is really weird... I had been through the input menu a few times and it wasnt there. Now looking through the input menu via the International pref pane it is...

cool! Keycaps isnt gone afterall!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

that special charachters pallet is stupid, you have to find it and then cilck inthe insert button?? wtf?

Double-clicking the character works too.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Double-clicking the character works too.

And dragging.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

OPEN System Preferences

SELECT International

SELECT Input Menu tab

SELECT Keyboard Viewer

I just want to point out that Panther rocks. Extremely. Hard.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    The new Keyboard Viewer is indeed pretty cool.

• Reply 16 of 18
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    I used to use PopChar for just this purpose in the OS 9 days. Anyone remember that? You could chose any character possible with the active font and it would appear at the cursor point, as well as letting you know the key combination to remember later.

Anyway, Key Caps type functionality is available in FontBook - got to Preview > Custom and you can copy & paste characters from there. The ability to scale is also useful for zooming into small dingbat-type fonts.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Well, I used it. Not alot, but used it. I then was kinda looking at PopChar-but then switched from font reserve to suitcase (still maintaining my licenses for both.) Suitcase kinda nips all that crap in butt anyways. I kina like the new Suitcase X1. May be far from perfect...but if I get in a jam, I can always switch back to FR. Suitcase X1 has all the previews you could want.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mithras

The new Keyboard Viewer is indeed pretty cool.