Photoshop 7.0 vs. Photoshop CS?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone know the difference between the 2? I don't know what is different? Can the CS version do video editing too? Any help would be great! thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It isn't a necessary upgrade, but one that brings along many convinces.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The update increases wallet emptying performance 100%!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    CS is basically Photoshop 8.

In other words, once CS is available, you won't be able to buy Photoshop 7. (at least not from Adobe)

Quote:

Can the CS version do video editing too?

Why would it?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

CS is basically Photoshop 8.

In other words, once CS is available, you won't be able to buy Photoshop 7. (at least not from Adobe)

Why would it?

There are some good reasons to upgrade, especially if you're a digital photographer, such as increased support for RAW files.

Go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/adobephotoshopcs/

for an in-depth review.

cheers,

• Reply 5 of 20
    Full 16 bit editing!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Oh heck, I'll put up pictures of Photoshop CS run through by Scott Kelby my boss gave me when he got back from NAPP conference.

I'll take pictures of it now (no flatbed scanner) so just wait.

Edit: ok never-mind that would be way too much work, so I'll give you a rundown of the features he listed.

Automated Panorama stitching

?Ability to create custom layouts (automation plugin...Picture Package)

?Type On Path (hurray!)

?Layer Comps...one click of a button and you can view different layouts of how you imagine it instead of having to save different files or rearrange everything (this sounds awesome)

?Filter Gallery...this is awesome! You can apply different filters at once and see how you like them with a LARGE preview box...it is like a blending options dialog box only for filters and you get a preview...this is amazing.

?Floating Histogram palette, complete with individual channel colors...in color

?*drum roll* Fully assignable shortcuts! basically any photoshop anything you can assign your own action

?File Browser on steroids!

?Improvements for adding metadata to pictures for the File Browser

?New Replace Color

?Video stuff

If you need any explanations I'll post pictures and what Kelby wrote about it. I'll only do it per request because everything is too much.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    what about the video stuff? can you do at least the same kinda stuff you can do with imovie? or better? thanks
  • Reply 9 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alxapplebmw

what about the video stuff? can you do at least the same kinda stuff you can do with imovie? or better? thanks

I don't believe so. That is why it's called PHOTOshop and iMovie is called iMOVIE. There are some keywords in there that you may want to pay attention to.

There is no reason for Photoshop to do video editing, thats what the Final Cut programs, and iMovie are for.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i still think CS = Photoshop 7.5, not 8. non-destructive filters would have given it the nod, but they got axed early on (supposedly because no one could figure out how to make it useful, which amazes me).
  • Reply 11 of 20
    If you're looking for an Adobe product to do video work with, Adobe Premiere is what you're after. Photoshop (as mentioned above) is for image editing. I don't see a day coming soon where the two will collide.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

If you're looking for an Adobe product to do video work with, Adobe Premiere is what you're after. Photoshop (as mentioned above) is for image editing. I don't see a day coming soon where the two will collide.

Adobe premiere is not a great app. My high school used it for a few years and than got sick of it because it caused nothing but trouble and wasn't powerfull enough to do what they needed. The switched to 2.0ghz G5s this past year (just in time for me to graduate! ) and got FCP 4. A friend of mine who works for the district IT department said that they have never been happier with any computers the district owns. They have zero problems and do the work that the Video editing classes need flawlessly.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Photoshop CS has the ability to make use of non-square pixels, which is what D1 video is made up of.

That's what is meant by video "stuff".
  • Reply 14 of 20
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Another "video" (animation really) feature is the ability to directly export to flash. I suppose you might consider this video ability, but like what everyone else has said, Photoshop is not meant for editing video. Personally I wouldnt want it to either, it would clutter up the interface...

If you are interested in a program more powerful than iMovie, try Final Cut Express. It has most of the features of Final Cut Pro at a fraction of the cost.

I agree with most people that Photoshop CS doesnt do a "whole lot" that 7 doesnt. But there are a few cool new features such as the histogram palette (although there already was a histogram feature, this new one is inhanced) and full 16 bit editing.

But what the heck is up with the name "CS"? Are they trying to copycat Macromedia and Microsoft? I think its pretty dumb. "CS" is supposed to stand for "Creative Suite" but really no one application is a "creative suite". And the new packaging is rather odd as well. Oh well, I suppose it just agrivates me that they cant seem to use numbers in their versioin numbering anymore. I suppose MX 2004 is even worse... Cant you imagin Photoshop CS 2006?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

But what the heck is up with the name "CS"? Are they trying to copycat Macromedia and Microsoft? I think its pretty dumb. "CS" is supposed to stand for "Creative Suite" but really no one application is a "creative suite".

No it isn't, but that's why Creative Suite is Photoshop, Illlustrator, GoLive, InDesign and Acrobat Pro in one package with one installer.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    One of the best things about Photoshop and Premiere was the ability to export a video clip from premiere as a Filmstrip, import that strip into photoshop and paint on it with the full load of photoshop's tools. you could then reimport the modified clip into premiere and edit with it. Now that premiere for mac is dead does anyone know if this sort of thing is still possible with FCP and Photoshop? Can FCP (or even FCE) export and import as a filmstrip?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    ast3r3x,

for the love of god.... man, use save for web or something....

1.2MB jpegs?

geeeezus

• Reply 18 of 20
    adobe after effects is UNDERrated! it rocks!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

ast3r3x,

for the love of god.... man, use save for web or something....

1.2MB jpegs?

geeeezus

Eh I've never been one to like low quality images. Or low res I should say, it's 1200x1600 so that might be why it's so big. Sorry for the bad quality, tries to take pictures of them in bad lighting conditions when my scanner started eating things.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

Now that premiere for mac is dead does anyone know if this sort of thing is still possible with FCP and Photoshop? Can FCP (or even FCE) export and import as a filmstrip?

You can render out sequences in Adobe After Effects as a Filmstrip and re-import that. As my usual workflow for composited sequences usually is Video data -> After Effects -> Photoshop -> After Effects -> Final Cut Pro, it's working neatly.

If you heavily rely on painting on moving images, you should check out discreet combustion*. I haven't tried out Shake yet, but will do at school some time.

Toby