what's gonna be left for macworld in jan?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
it seems like everything has already recieved substantial updates or will between now and then......what's in the grapevine for macworld?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 205
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Power Mac speedbumps or we may see the iRate...
  • Reply 2 of 205
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I was wondering that too!

It's been an amazing year (check out my "to those who like to whine" thread in General Discussion) and it seems that by year's end we'll have new iTunes/Windows iTunes, new iBooks, updated eMacs. We've already had recent iMac updates, the PowerBooks are new and so are the G5s, pretty much. There's talk of new displays and G5 xServes coming soon as well. And, of course, Panther will already have been released.

In other words, nearly everything Apple has hardware-wise has been tweaked in the past couple of months (or may be shortly). The OS will be brand new.

I don't know. A new iApp or altogether new hardware of some sort? This bullcrap tablet thing (please, no) or some sort of cute "mini G5"? I have NO idea.

Maybe Steve will just do a little tap dance or he and Phil can perform an updated "who's on first?" routine for an hour or so?

• Reply 3 of 205
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I was wondering that too!

I don't know. A new iApp or altogether new hardware of some sort? This bullcrap tablet thing (please, no) or some sort of cute "mini G5"? I have NO idea.

Yes, yes, yes! No new T-t-tablet!

In regard to:

"Am I wrong to wish for a bedside seat to a Laura Ingraham vs. Ann Coulter pillow fight? I don't know, I'm asking.."

Yes; you are unequivocably wrong to wish for a seat for yourself. You should be trying to get one for me too.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 4 of 205
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    the tap dance is CONFIRMED! hehehehe
  • Reply 5 of 205

They'll start a big build-up on the website, two weeks out:

"Gene Kelly would be proud"

"In the proud tradition of Gregory Hines"

"Bringing the noize AND the funk"

Yes, the tap-dancing CEO.
  • Reply 6 of 205
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i just hope he doesn't come out wearing a mock turtle neck that says iTap on it! hehehe

all jokes aside, what really is gonna be left for the show? it seems like there really isn't anything left to wow us with! we've had a amazing year!
  • Reply 7 of 205
    Well, that's kinda the point then. We're reduced to making silly jokes and tapdancing references because we honestly can't think of what there will be.

I offered up a couple of things, but as far as I can tell all their main gear has been - or will be - accounted for.

Perhaps these rumored new iBook and/or displays won't make it in 2003 after all and THOSE will be the things unveiled in Frisco?

Other than that, I can't imagine what else. The G5s are just now seeming to be shipping in any sort of true, store-stocking volume (particularly the dual 2GHz), so would they update the line in less than three months from now, knowing that anything they announce in January realistically won't hit the streets, shelves and people's desk until March-April!

• Reply 8 of 205
    In case you didn't notice the death of the summer MacWorld, it would appear that Apple has finally wised up and started announcing things when they are ready (or near-ready) rather than wait around for these biannual geek get-togethers. I expect Apple's role in future MacWorld events to be reduced dramatically as well.
  • Reply 9 of 205
    I think Rev B PowerMacs.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 10 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

it seems like everything has already recieved substantial updates or will between now and then......what's in the grapevine for macworld?

Well I agree with some of the other posts and think Christmas sales will get updates and new product out before January. I think we will hear about 2004 and the expectations for the year ahead after a summary of the success of the year that has passed.

As to what else wish list

That new iPOD software/update harddisk/portable file rumor sounds like a potential. I'd love to see an iPod with bluetooth that allowed my bluetooh phone to pause and cut in when it rings Coupled with bluetooth headphones/headset is another dream but not sure about quality. Maybe in 2004.

Also 20th anniversary should yield something special for attendees. Wish I could go but not sure about going during what appears to be San Frans worst month for weather.

I would like web/multicasting for iSight/AV Chat to allow more than peer to peer so many can see one. Also ability to record for business purposes without resorting to hacks and third party software.

In the meantime I hold off buying by G5 until Panther and new monitors come out...

Jason
  • Reply 11 of 205
    Maybe the iWorks suite to replace appleworks.
  • Reply 12 of 205
    The release of the 20th Anniversary Mac - G5 Cube. Just in time for the Superbowl Ad.
  • Reply 13 of 205
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member

*iBook [new formfactor, or just updates]

*eMac [updates to bring up to iMac levels]

*Power Mac G5 [up to 2.2 or 2.3 Ghz, 2 duals]

*Discontinuation of Power Mac G4?

*[No] Tablet

*New displays, as rumored

*iTunes Europe

*iTV

*iSticky, iMail (both will probably never happen, though)

*iPhoto 2004 - By then it will have been [roughly] a year since iPhoto 2003 - More editing, selectable photos from camera?

*iMovie 2004 - About 9-10 moths [then] from iMovie 2003.

*Xserve

*ADC 2

Random specs, while we're at it:

iBook:

New formactor?

900Mhz-1Ghz or 900Mhz/1Ghz-1.1Ghz

CD-RW or DVD on low-end (not combo, but next-best)?

SuperDrive optional? [No]

256MB RAM on base? Use new PB 12" RAM architcture (256MB soldered?)

384MB RAM on high-end?

13"? Wide-screen 13 or 14"?

DDR RAM?

1.2" thin?[No]

eMac:

1Ghz and 1.25Ghz

256MB RAM on base?

GeForce 4 on low-end and GeForce FX on higher-end

PowerMac G5:

Better graphics on middle model?

At least 384/512MB RAM on all?

1.8, Dual 2, and Dual 2.2/2.3 or 1.8, 2.0, Dual 2.2/2.3

Displays:

17" widescreen? - 1440x900

20"

23"

30"?

Price cut on 17" or widescreen 17" ($525-$600?)

ADC 2? Compatibile with ADC 1 displays, but supports higher resolutions (as practically needed for 26"/27" or bigger)

XServes

1.4/1.5 G5

Dual 1.33 G4

Dual 1.6-2.0 G5s?
  • Reply 14 of 205
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    When do you think that the new Al Powerbook 15" will get a revision B? I was hoping to buying one but having read these forums and the Ars Technica review I am starting to think that maybe I should wait and see. There seems to be a lot of problems with that computer. Defective screens, "lids" that won't close and that are curved rather than straight. Short battery life and so on... Any thoughts?

Personally I'd rather get the last revision Powerbook G4 than the first revision Powerbook G5! Am I nuts to think that?
  • Reply 15 of 205
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

*iBook [new formfactor, or just updates]

*eMac [updates to bring up to iMac levels]

*Power Mac G5 [up to 2.2 or 2.3 Ghz, 2 duals]

YES!

Quote:

*Discontinuation of Power Mac G4?

*[No] Tablet

*New displays, as rumored

*iTunes Europe

Yeah, I guess.

Quote:

*iTV

*iSticky, iMail (both will probably never happen, though)

*iPhoto 2004 - By then it will have been [roughly] a year since iPhoto 2003 - More editing, selectable photos from camera?

*iMovie 2004 - About 9-10 moths [then] from iMovie 2003.

*Xserve

*ADC 2

Jobs already said he hates TV.

iSticky; iMail: What's the point?
  • Reply 16 of 205
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

YES!

Yeah, I guess.

Jobs already said he hates TV.

iSticky; iMail: What's the point?

As to the TV, I know. It'll never happen. Ah well... Note: I don't like TV eithier, but it would compete with Media Center.

iSticky: Categories, iTunes interface, searching, Palm sync. iMail: iGot carried away.
  • Reply 17 of 205
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Well, let's see here.

On the one hand, this looks sort of like the rush of releases leading up to WWDC that had us all wondering what would be left for the keynote. Which means Apple's preparing for a whopper.

On the other hand, given that Apple can release things whenever now that they have everyone's attention, and given that MWSF falls into no known shopping season, Apple can use it as they have been using it, as a "big picture" event where Steve draws all their announcements together into a trajectory for Apple, and shows how they're executing on their strategies (spun positively, of course). This will be as much for the benefit of the media and analysts as for the Mac faithful - although the faithful will no doubt be heartened at some of the news as well.

For Really Big Product Announcements, it's gotta be WWDC. Why? Because it appears that the time I have hoped for for three years has arrived, and OS X has given Apple a liberty to do hardware and software design that OS 9 never allowed. Also, the new Apple will not release new technologies to fend for themselves, as they did in the bad old days. The first people who need to know about any serious new direction or technology are the developers, and Apple will support both its own initiatives and its developer base in a way that it hasn't in decades by rolling out the serious new stuff at their developer conference.

So my guess is that if there's something that Apple could release sometime around January 5th, they'll throw it in the keynote just 'cause. But the meat of it will be a lot of big picture stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 205
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

XServe G5 (featuring a RevB G5)

iBook (900 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz)

Maybe RevB G5 towers

Software updates: iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD

Appleworks update

New line of Displays, featuring a 30"-top model (with brag-o-matic)
  • Reply 19 of 205
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

[B]XServe G5 (featuring a RevB G5)

iBook (900 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz)

I'm thinking these are going to come before the end of the month, nevermind MacWorld in Jan.

I think sizeable G5 speedbumps and a revamped display line may indeed come at MWSF. I think Dual 2.5 is very possible at this point. I think those two items would be the capstone of this event. Fuggetabout G5 PowerBooks, special new iDevices or anything of the sort. It's all about the G5 and the success of the iPod and the iTMS.
  • Reply 20 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I'm thinking these are going to come before the end of the month, nevermind MacWorld in Jan.

I think sizeable G5 speedbumps and a revamped display line may indeed come at MWSF. I think Dual 2.5 is very possible at this point. I think those two items would be the capstone of this event. Fuggetabout G5 PowerBooks, special new iDevices or anything of the sort. It's all about the G5 and the success of the iPod and the iTMS.

A rumor I heard from an Apple reseller was the appearance of Dual 1.8GHz G5's due to high demand on 2GHz and low sales of 1.8s versus 1.6s. Must say for home use a dual 1.8 at a decent price difference would be attractive to me.

Jason