Annoying Safari limitation

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone else notice that you can only download 4 things at a time? It bugs the heck out of me. If I download 4 files off the web I can't load a web page until one of the download finishes. I can see how this feature can be helpful on a 56K modem, but I have a cable modem and have tons of bandwidth Safari is not using.

Is there a way to change/hack this setting?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Anyone else notice that you can only download 4 things at a time?

Yes I have. Quite annoying, and I'd too appreciate some hack to increase the number of simultaneous downloads.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That is laughable. I didn't notice because I have speed download. How about the other annoying limitation of not being able to UNDO typing? 1.0 right.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    RFC 2068

"Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A single-user client SHOULD maintain AT MOST 2 connections with any server or proxy. A proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to another server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously active users. These guidelines are intended to improve HTTP response times and avoid congestion of the Internet or other networks."

Looks like Safari already uses 2 more than is recommended (I'm not sure)? Exactly how much do you want Apple to deviate from W3C recommendations? IE goes up to 8, which again, is more than recommended by W3C.

Think about the big picture. There needs to be upper limits to persistent connections. Hack all you want but don't blame me when everyone else is doing it and the 'Net slows to an ooze.

Microsoft tells you how to hack WinIE (with mere tut-tuts and winking disapproval of deviating from the standard): How to Configure Internet Explorer to Have More Than Two Download Sessions
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea, I totally agree too many connections to the same server is bad, but if I were connected to 4 different servers all downloading at 10K, it uses 40K of my 2500K bandwidth. I spend $60+ for a high speed internet connection and want to use it all. Is that too much to ask?

\
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Certainly not. MSIE allows you to set downloads. I say leave 4 as default but allow an option for more in Prefs like IE does.