Panther: Erase and Install?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I haven't seen anyone discussing this.

Like others here, I just got a new PB last night, and I'm hesitant to install all of my apps because I'm thinking it would be better to wait until I get Panther, and do an erase and install. Am I going to notice a difference in performance if I do an erase and install as opposed to an upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I've never been a fan of the "wipe it clean and start over" philosophy. The only time I ever did that was when I got a new hard drive. It's a myth that your computer works better that way, especially under OS X.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and time and just do the easy upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I haven't seen anyone discussing this.

Like others here, I just got a new PB last night, and I'm hesitant to install all of my apps because I'm thinking it would be better to wait until I get Panther, and do an erase and install. Am I going to notice a difference in performance if I do an erase and install as opposed to an upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3?

I just emailed you on that. I'm [email protected].
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I've never been a fan of the "wipe it clean and start over" philosophy. The only time I ever did that was when I got a new hard drive. It's a myth that your computer works better that way, especially under OS X.

Yeah I hear ya. but I only do that when I don't have any means of backing up. I'm gonna do an upgrade when I get Panther... but when I have means of backing up I'm gonna do a clean install. I did that with 10.1 and 10.2. So with 10.3 its not gonna be any different.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

I don't do it to make my machine faster, I do it to clean out gigabytes of Preferences, Application Support files, and other cruft lying around I don't need,
  • Reply 5 of 25
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

From memory quite a few people saw performance troubles when Jaguar came out if they didn't do a clean install.

Personally I just use it as an excuse to clean out my HD.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    It certainly couldn't hurt things to do a clean install. If it makes you feel better, do it.

The fact that Windoze users do clean installs, might be an argument against it however...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

It certainly couldn't hurt things to do a clean install. If it makes you feel better, do it.

The fact that Windoze users do clean installs, might be an argument against it however...

Well that's because Windows users don't know how good we have it.. Mac OS X Panther is gonna blow Windows (anything) outta the water. It's so much more advanced..... Anywho.. yeah a clean install it good.. but back up your sh*t first...
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I've never done a clean install on a Apple before...

Does anyone have a good step wise outline of everything you need to do, or a link on how to reinstall your operating system from scratch...

Thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    If I do a Clean Install, will I still have the classic function, OS 9 starting up from within OS X, right? I just won't be able to boot off of OS 9.

And I would loose all of my iTunes too.

If I do an Archieve Install, iTunes will remain right?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

I've never done a clean install on a Apple before...

Does anyone have a good step wise outline of everything you need to do, or a link on how to reinstall your operating system from scratch...

Thanks!

All you gotta do basically is back up your data and then start up from the Panther CD. I'd advise you to install OS 9 first if you still need it because you install OS X first because it won't work otherwise... It's hard to explain...
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

If I do a Clean Install, will I still have the classic function, OS 9 starting up from within OS X, right? I just won't be able to boot off of OS 9.

And I would loose all of my iTunes too.

If I do an Archieve Install, iTunes will remain right?

Yes all your data will be intact. The only thing that'll be different is your system. When you do an Archive and Install it takes the previously installed system and sets it aside making room for the new one. Your data will not be altered. About the OS 9 issue.. look at my post to the other guy.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Well I got my new 17 setup mostly the way I had my Ti867 using 10.2.8. I am leaning towards doing an erase and install when Panther arrives on the 24th, so I'm refraining on installing certain apps until then.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Sounds like clean install is the way to go.

Since I have a 80GB Firewire Disk drive, can I simply copy my home folder, and my apps over before I clean install Panther?

What about my mail accounts, bookmarks, and preferences that I already have set up?

Once Panther is installed do I simply copy everything back over from the HD, and everything will be like it was before the install?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I just did an archive and install and all seems well except for the fact that iChat refuses to let me compose a message. It gives me some lame error that states:

iChat Internal Error!

NSInternalInconsistencyException:

Chat is not in compose mode anymore

I have no idea what this means... So be weary whatever you choose to do.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think at some point i'll do a clean install just to be on the safe side. there's always some crap lying around that you don't want.

besides, now that i've been playing around with OSX for a while, i'm finally feeling like i know what i want and don't want in OSX. besides, i'm almost out of HD space on my laptop, so a cleanup would be a good idea.

i just wish i could export my network settings.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepdarkfunky

I just did an archive and install and all seems well except for the fact that iChat refuses to let me compose a message. It gives me some lame error that states:

iChat Internal Error!

NSInternalInconsistencyException:

Chat is not in compose mode anymore

I have no idea what this means... So be weary whatever you choose to do.

What are you installing? \
  • Reply 17 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You mean the settings in /var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml ?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I did an archive and install of Panther upon my main system. Upon launching iChat, I noticed this error coming up everytime I chose to start a new chat with a person. I tried deleting prefs for iChat, but that did not help much.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, those ones.

thanks.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepdarkfunky

I did an archive and install of Panther upon my main system. Upon launching iChat, I noticed this error coming up everytime I chose to start a new chat with a person. I tried deleting prefs for iChat, but that did not help much.

You mean the unreleased, pirated copy of Panther you've got??? You'll have to wait until it comes out for real before you can get any real assistance here.