Dock and active Classic applications

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to keep the Dock from displaying the icon of active Classic enviroment apps?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Try this app... i think it may help...

Dockless...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12516
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I haven't tried that app (on a PC right now), but I am quite certain that that will not work in this case. OSX apps are primarily made in packages and ther is a plist file in the top level of Contents that has a variable for toggling whether or not an app shows in the dock. I believe this app simply switches that variable.

Classic apps, however, are "flat" exectuable files and do not have this plist file.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    si_flippant:

I tried Dockless and, as Brad mentioned, it works as expected for OSX apps, but Classic ones wouldn't even launch after setting them up. Dockless presents a window with all OSX apps available and you togglewhich apps you want on and off the dock while running. You can manually add Classic files to that list, but trying to launch a Classic application afterwards just fails.

Brad:

If this utility toggles a variable in OSX apps' plist file, would there be a way to add (edit) this flag for Classic apps? Resedit comes to mind...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    What apps are you running in Classic? And why don't you want them in the Dock?

If it's because the the icons don't look very nice, you can easily paste on new, pretty ones.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

What apps are you running in Classic? And why don't you want them in the Dock?...

I believe this is for an elementary school computer lab. My wife knows one of the teachers there. I am not sure which Classic apps are running, but they somehow want them off the Dock while active. I will try to find out some more details during the week. But, in any case, the issue is how to trick the Dock from showing active Classic apps. "Dockless" mentioned above is the right idea, yet it only works for OSX apps.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    You could just turn off the dock.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    you can hide the dock, but i don't think you can turn it off, can you?

neilyb
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I would like something of the opposite. A way of showing the classic interface when I'm not using a classic app. I hardly use Classic so the point is moot, I guess.

I work in a school which has not yet moved to OS X in any fasion other than servers. I'm advocating when we upgrade (whenever that will be) to not even have classic on the computer. From my prospective, it seems that it could cause more confusion from an interface point of view, particularly when you get used to Aqua to go back and forth is kind of ugly. Also, it seems like a security loop hole too.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Ok, I found some more information about their needs. They have 2 Classic apps running all the time, which are intended for teachers only. The kids use OSX apps.

The problem seems to be that the Classic apps keep bouncing on the dock, which tend to annoy the little users. Killing the dock is not an option, since it is quite useful for OSX apps. I already suggested a haxie which kills bouncing on the dock (dock-detox), but I just realized it won't supress tigger-ish Classic apps.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Why don't they have separate logins for teachers and students? Disallow access to the programs in question for the little ones. Problem solved.