What tech do you least want to see in new computers?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    How about if you clicked a certain mouse button (yeah I know, Apple would be hard-pressed once again to consider anything other than a 1-button mouse), and an entire pane opens up where you could mouseclick on whole words and such. Part of the pane could have frequently used words, another part could have recently used words, and another part could have intelligently picked words based on what the AI thinks you may want to use within the document/webpage/whatever you are working on. This really sounds like an interesting new paradigm to usher in a sort of "keyboardless typing"!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    64-bit OS
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    a mouseless operating system, a la 'minority report.'

the touch-sensitive buttons on my ipod are a step in the right direction. i can navigate the menus faster than the OS can keep up. imagine an operating system that allowed each person to browse and work in their own personal, intuitive way, without mice and/or keyboard.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by raimac

64-bit OS

oooh that's a good one. what a shame i probally won't have a mac to run it on for another 3 years
  • Reply 25 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

rectal probe identification "no butt is the same" (thanks to Randycat99 for the inspiration)

Your butt is your password.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Wow. Never let it be said that AI is a forum where people read the title of a thread. Of course, some of these ideas are so wacked that I can't tell if the poster did or didn't read the title of this thread.

Next time, I won't make a thread with the <subtle> tag on.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    What, you actually want an anal scanner?! What kinda sicko are you?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Wow. Never let it be said that AI is a forum where people read the title of a thread. Of course, some of these ideas are so wacked that I can't tell if the poster did or didn't read the title of this thread.

Next time, I won't make a thread with the <subtle> tag on.

o they did read it. they all love their one button apple mouses. it's their precious.

multibutton mouses are sooooooooo windowesque they hate them. bad, bad, bad mouse.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

o they did read it. they all love their one button apple mouses. it's their precious.

multibutton mouses are sooooooooo windowesque they hate them. bad, bad, bad mouse.

I miss the three button mice that I used on the Digital workstations when I was in college.

So maybe the feture they least want is a two button mouse? I doubt that is the case.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    i dont wanna see latop screens get any bigger... honestly, theyre just starting to get ugly, and i dont want a huge screen, or anything that has to unfold (olem for example) olem screens in place of lcds are fine, but i want my screens solid
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I personally don't want to see tablet technology in a powerbook. Period.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    buggybuggy Posts: 83member
    "What tech do you least want to see in a new desktop or laptop?"

A website where people don't read the first post. \
  • Reply 33 of 34
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Here's what I DON'T want to see in the future of computing technology:

1. Replacing all desktops with laptops. I don't care how much people like laptops, they're still just for complementing a desktop. Okay, so if you have a $2500 PowerBook G4, it's replacing the desktop, but my eMac is nearly as powerful with a 1 GHz G4 and it was only $850. The equivalent laptop is about $2000.

2. Wireless mice and keyboards. Yeah, we already have them, but I dislike both. I know we all have the option of getting corded ones and actually wireless ones are fairly rare, but I sure hope they don't take over. I hate wireless mice and keyboards, they lag and require batteries.

3. Swiss Army Knife cell phones. We already have these as well but they're so annoying! As if PDAs didn't have small enough screens, now companies are putting PDAs inside cell phones and they're flying off the shelves! Cameras too... when will it stop? I mean, if I didn't dislike cell phones enough, this is the nail in the coffin. I'd rather see the development of good, useful portable computers, between tablets and PDAs.

4. Music being totally replaced with downloaded digital media. As much as I like the idea of online music purchasing, I still prefer getting a regular CD. I think that online music services should work hard and thrive, but I still want the option of going to a music store and picking up a CD. On the other hand, CDs cost $16+. Although I like CDs more than online music, they're too expensive. Why $16-$20 for a CD? I don't buy many CDs because of the price. If they were $8-$12, I'd buy lots.

5. Anything "smart." I think this is the biggest one. Yes, I think software companies (specifically Apple) should keep coming up with new, better ways to organize things. Exposé is a perfect example. It makes the interface better and easier to use without trying to do everything for you. If my computer started doing things for me without me asking it to, I'd be mad. I want it to work just like it did the day I bought it, except faster and more efficient, but NOT SMARTER!

Case in point: Clippy!
  • Reply 34 of 34
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

What tech do you least want to see in a new desktop or laptop? All this talk of future hardware usually should come with

- Fuel cells. I am with you here. The idea of gaining 10h running time without access to a power outlet is surely interesting, but not if I have to buy a new cell each time or have to tinker with fuel.

- Projected keyboards. There are some prototype tests where you put a paper with a printed keyboard on your desk and a cam tracks your fingers, translating them into keypresses. It's a horrible idea to have to type directly on the desk, though.

- One button mice. The last thing I want to have on a laptop is to have only one mouse-button and having to go to the keyboard to emulate a second mouse. Wait a minute, hmmm...

- Mouse nipples. Toshiba has those infamous tit-nipples instead of a trackpad. Hopefully, Apple never uses them.

- Cordless mouse and keyboard. I am not actually a messie, but I would lose the mouse in no time. At least have a beeper in the freaking thing, so I can page it. Talk about empty batteries on a sunday, too. At the very least, integrate solar cells into the stuff, so it is able to recharge on its own.

- Built in cams in displays or laptops. I like to scratch my nuts while chatting and I certainly don't like the idea of everyone asking me to turn on the cam all the time. Cams would be great tho, if the OS had MoodSense[TM], adjusting it's level of obnoxious stupidity according to how thinly stretched my nerves are already.

- Voice recognition. The idea is completely absurd if you are working in anything but a single-seat office. Also on trains, people constantly using their cell phones is bad enough, no need to have them talking to their computers as well. Text-to-speach is similarily evil.

- More helpful assistants. I have just partially switched to Win XP, and there are assistants and bubbles constantly popping up all over the place - telling me, for instance, that I just plugged in an ethernet cable. Doh.

- DRM in documents. I can see the benefits of encrypted office documents in companies (talk about the Mossad and industrial espionage), but I also can see the usual idiots who are incapable of configuring their mail application wreaking havoc in collab environments if someone lets them define DRM security guidelines.

- More product activation, tying software to one computer only. Having to plead and beg with the software company to be allowed to install a piece of software both on my tower and my notebook plain stinks. It's evil enough if you are pirating the stuff and have to look for cracked versions, but it is completely inbearable if you have actually shelled out a lot of money.