The next Powermacs.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    It would be nice to have matching displays...

...and that rumoured 30 incher...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I forget where I heard this....

But some where it says that the 3Ghz will not be achived by the 970, it will only be able to reach 2.5Ghz. and the chip that will give us 3Ghz is the 980.

I for one think that sounds reasonable.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

But some where it says that the 3Ghz will not be achived by the 970, it will only be able to reach 2.5Ghz. and the chip that will give us 3Ghz is the 980.

Not to me, the lifespan of a chip design is usually more than 12 months, and the 980 is rumoured to be based of of the Power 5, not the 970. IBM will probably achieve at least 2.5 Ghz from the move to the smaller process (that is a 25% speed gain). Some other refinements to the design could easily bring them to 3 Ghz with the 970+ or 970 GX or whatever they want to call the third generation of 970's.

There are some indications that IBM is getting 2.5 Ghz chips on the current process, so it is possible that on a 90 nm process they could beyond 3 Ghz (25% gain from smaller process = 3.125 Ghz, 30% = 3.25; more technically knowlegable membors could give you a better idea of what one would expect the smaller process would bring to the 970). The question there is was the press release that IBM pulled a typo, or are the yields of the 2.5's too low to ship, or is IBM holding back the 2.5's for their own Blade servers (are these shipping yet? havent heard).

I would expect the 970 to evolve into the new consumer chip with a long life (ala. the G3) as the 980 brings more "Supercomputer" (multi-cores, etc.) processing power down to the desktop and low end server market.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Isn't the 980 another kettle of fish. By which I mean the next generation again, isn't it much more advanced so the preformance will be dissproportional to the increase in pure mhz?
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:

Not to me, the lifespan of a chip design is usually more than 12 months, and the 980 is rumoured to be based of of the Power 5, not the 970. IBM will probably achieve at least 2.5 Ghz from the move to the smaller process (that is a 25% speed gain). Some other refinements to the design could easily bring them to 3 Ghz with the 970+ or 970 GX or whatever they want to call the third generation of 970's.

Yes, yes tell me something I don't know...

But the 970 doesn't have to remain top-of-the-line for more then 12 months..

EDIT:

Hey just found some more info...

Report from macrumors.com:

"acEdition's Naked Mole Rat report clarifies some information about the upcoming GPUL2 Processor which was referenced by eWeek as a replacement to the 970 (GPUL) PowerPC processor by Mid-2004.

According to MacEdition, the GPUL2 is essentially the same architecture as the PPC 970, and that the Power5 derivative chip is a separate project. (MacEdition article).

Based on the timing of release, the GPUL2 would presumably be the processor to take Apple's computers to 3GHz by next year. If so, it may cast some doubts on this ambitious report."
  • Reply 26 of 53
    As soon as they hit ~$2000 for dual CPUs, I'm there...

But will that ever happen ?
  • Reply 27 of 53
    It would be a stunning coup-de-grace if Apple could deliver the Gpul 2 into the consumer range and debut a Power5 derivative into the Pro' line by next Summer. I suppose it depends on what IBM announces at the October Microprocessor Forum? The GPUL was announced there and just over half a year later? In a PowerMac.

If the Power5 lite is announced at MPForum then...G6 next Summer?

x86 land would be reeling and Apple would be back in the game big time.

...but it may well be San Fran Jan 2005 before we see that? aka G6/G5 line?

I'd have thought the 970 will last through 2004 in the PowerMacs. With a .09 shift in the Summer signalling lower speed grades for the consumer line. 2004. Year of the G5?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 28 of 53
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

It would be a stunning coup-de-grace if Apple could deliver the Gpul 2 into the consumer range and debut a Power5 derivative into the Pro' line by next Summer.

If there is any truth to this report from the Inquirer
    Quote:

The Pentium V is likely to fly along at between 5GHz to 7GHz, have 2MB plus of level two cache, be built on a 90 nanometer process, and have a stackable design.

, maybe it won't really be so much of a coup-de-grâce.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I'm still pining for the not-so-Pro G5 micro tower. There have been plenty of threads about it and most people are sick of hearing about it, but basically it breaks down to a less expensive machine to replace the Cube and possibly the low-end PowerMac. Single processor, 4 RAM slots, smaller motherboard, AGP slot with one PCI slot, same ports as the G5 tower (except for possibly the optical audio). Redesign the iMac to make it a replacement for the eMac and FP iMac at a LOWER price to make room for this new micro tower.

not by January..That would be something tho.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

Isn't the 980 supposed to be shipping en-mass by 4th quarter next year?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    I think the announcement at MacWorld SF 2003 will be:

Single - 2 Ghz G5 $1899

Dual - 1.8 Ghz G5 $2299

Dual - 2.5 Ghz G5 $2899

That's what I think....yeah.

Junkmein
  • Reply 32 of 53
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkmein

I think the announcement at MacWorld SF 2003 will be:

Single - 2 Ghz G5 $1899

Dual - 1.8 Ghz G5 $2299

Dual - 2.5 Ghz G5 $2899

That's what I think....yeah.

Junkmein

...and shipping April 2004...
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Exactly, and with 9 fans and 4 separate cooling zones, my bet is that the current case can indeed handle a lot more heat than the current versions generate.

This may apply to the US and Canada. In most parts of the world air-conditioning is not very common in offices and even less in homes. Think of an environment with 25°-30°C room-temperature and then rethink your posting. Apple is doing appr. 50% of its business outside the Americas!
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gulliver

25°-30°C room-temperature and then rethink your posting.

that is 77-86°F
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I'm still pining for the not-so-Pro G5 micro tower. There have been plenty of threads about it and most people are sick of hearing about it, but basically it breaks down to a less expensive machine to replace the Cube and possibly the low-end PowerMac. Single processor, 4 RAM slots, smaller motherboard, AGP slot with one PCI slot, same ports as the G5 tower (except for possibly the optical audio). Redesign the iMac to make it a replacement for the eMac and FP iMac at a LOWER price to make room for this new micro tower.

I'd like to see this too, more for Apple's sake than my own. From my reading of various fora, the iBook was the great switcher bait -- maybe this little gem would do the same on the desktop.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Maybe announcement in early February and shipping in late March or early April.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I don't see why everyone thinks they are going to announce them way early again. They only announce things really early when they are BRAND new.

The next rev will be available immediately with the probable exception of the high end, which will have a 3 or 4 week wait.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The GHz is anyones guess but I think that there will be more duals than just the top of the line. It does not serve Apple that "to many" want to buy the very top end model with restricted CPU supply while " to few" will buy the mid range.

For me I the fact that the dual offer the most bang for the bucks stops me from buying the SP 1.6 and 1.8 and the price tag of the dual stop me from buing that one as well. I ended up buying a G4 upgrade and have postponed my G5 transition with a year or so.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    single 2.0, dual 2.2, dual 2.4 in Feb/March. Then single 2.4, dual 2.6 and dual 2.8, or they leave out the 2.4 and go 2.6, 2.8 and 3.0.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Jan is way too optimistic for 3GHz G5's.

I think WWDC might even stretching it on the 3GHz G5, but SJ said "within a year", and I'd say he'll try to keep his word to us. As for this 2.5GHz G5. I hope I don't see it until the 3GHz G5 is announced.

This is why. If there is an upgrade to a 2.5GHz G5 it will be that much longer before we see the 3GHz G5. Upping the 1.6, and 1.8GHz models to duals, and going MP across the board is a more acceptable possibility IMHO.