Panther to be Released in Last Week of October

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    OK, so it's being released on the 24th in the US. What about elsewhere? This says the Panther "is coming" for Australia. It would be nice to have a release date! m.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    So what happens if I order my new Powerbook on Oct 25? Do you think it would have 10.3 installed? If not would I have to buy the CD?
  • Reply 63 of 79
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    From what I've read, here's what you have to do to turn the upgrade CDs into full install CDs:

1. Make a disk image of the CD

2. Find a file called "CheckForOSX"

3. Delete it

4. Change the name from "Mac OS X Upgrade Disc" to "Mac OS X Install CD"

5. Burn using Apple's Disk Copy

Sorry I couldn't find more detailed instructions, Low End Mac had some articles about this issue but to prevent Apple Legal from getting on his ass, Dan Knight had to pull some of the instructions.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    HAHA thats pretty simple and funny if it works
  • Reply 65 of 79
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

What kind of a price break does Microsoft give in the same situation?

Windows XP Home Edition

Estimated Retail Price

Upgrade $99

Full Version $199

Upgrade ONLY available for Windows 98/98SE/ME editions and as far as I can tell from their website, even if you buy a PC today with Windows XP Home Edition, you would have to buy an upgrade copy of Windows XP Home Edition 2 (or whatever the next version is called) if it were released the next day. They really don't have any info on their website though.

As an aside, what kind of crap is this (from the Microsoft Windows Media Center website):

"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements, Media Center PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 are available only from Microsoft PC manufacturer partners."
  • Reply 66 of 79
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Luca that was true for Jaguar. Wouldn't that be ridiculous if it was the same thing this time around in Panther?
  • Reply 67 of 79
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think it worked the same way with the 10.0 -> 10.1 upgrade CD as well, and the weirdest thing about that is that 10.1 was a free upgrade from 10.0!
  • Reply 68 of 79
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

...and the weirdest thing about that is that 10.1 was a free upgrade from 10.0!

The 10.1 freebie was basically an apology from Apple for turning its user base into unwitting Alpha Software Testers.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

From what I've read, here's what you have to do to turn the upgrade CDs into full install CDs:

1. Make a disk image of the CD

2. Find a file called "CheckForOSX"

3. Delete it

4. Change the name from "Mac OS X Upgrade Disc" to "Mac OS X Install CD"

5. Burn using Apple's Disk Copy

Sorry I couldn't find more detailed instructions, Low End Mac had some articles about this issue but to prevent Apple Legal from getting on his ass, Dan Knight had to pull some of the instructions.

Sorry, you are dead wrong. This only works for the 10.1 update CD... Apple fixed the hole a long time ago.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Hey, I guessed the release date for Panther correctly! October 25th ? well, Australia time, anyway. Cool!

Now after reading these threads from time to time, and viewing the screenshots, (which are surprisingly still there), I now know what to expect from Panther.

Excellent... m.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Hi Everyone!

I know this has been asked a 1,000 times but is panther 64 bit for the G5?
  • Reply 72 of 79
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merlion

Hi Everyone!

I know this has been asked a 1,000 times but is panther 64 bit for the G5?

No, but there are some optimizations that make it run better than Jaguar, particularly on the G5.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Thanks iDave!

So what is the hold up on the kernal going 64 bit? Will MS beat apple to the punch? I sure hope not.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

So what is the hold up on the kernal going 64 bit? Will MS beat apple to the punch? I sure hope not.

I don't think it really needs too right now.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

THe Mac OS X tab on apple.com that used to be a hideous leopard/jaguar-print is now metallic, but a darker, less textured metal than the .mac tab

i liked the jag fur
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Thanks iDave!

the holdup is the millions of 32bit g3s and g4s that would be rendered useless when trying to run a pure 64 bit os.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    When ordering Panther the est. ship date thing says PM Delivery 10/24. To get it that day do you still have to pay the top shipping? I would think not based on how they worded it, but I don't want to wait an extra week by only paying the base shipping.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nerickson

When ordering Panther the est. ship date thing says PM Delivery 10/24. To get it that day do you still have to pay the top shipping? I would think not based on how they worded it, but I don't want to wait an extra week by only paying the base shipping.

Somebody somewhere said it doesn't matter one bit. If that's the case, I blew $12 for no good reason. I suppose we'll find out for sure on the 24th.