Meet my new object of desire

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    It's not the software or hardware you use so much as what you are able to do with it. Personally, I prefer using dedicated hardware over software DAWs and VSTis because I can hear my ideas come together a lot more quickly. Besides, its nice to have hardware lying all over the place...

The MPC-1000 is a lovely piece of strarter kit, but I'd be tempted to save the extra $900 and get an MPC-4000 LE (they're out there for around $1790). You can install RAM, a harddrive and I/O expansion boards yourself if and when you need them...there's no need pay Akai the premium they charge for bundling everything together for you. On the other hand, there are rumors going around about an MPC-2500 being announced in January. This could potentially be even nicer than the 4000...if that were the case it'd be better to get the 1000 now and upgrade to the 2500 when it eventually comes out (assuming that there actually is an MPC-2500)...hmmmm.

The Neptunes do use a Korg Triton, but its far from being the only piece of equipment they use (reportedly they also use the Korg MS2000, Ensoniq ASR-10, Akai Z8 and I'm betting ProTools with a bunch of softsynths). The 61 key Triton is nice though, and not too expensive...but it could never be as much fun as an MPC for laying down beats
  • Reply 22 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I wouldn't worry too much about what other producers use if I was you. I know well-known producers that use Fruity Loops (Richie Hawtin also uses this) and even Vegas (you'd be surprised at the number and their devotion to it), as well as one that only uses the SU700. Folks tend to use what they learned on, so don't give it too much mind, and hip-hop producers seem to be more rigid in what they are willing to work on.

The mpc is nice, but only for the pads. I used to know one guy that did everything on the mpc and just put finishing touches in pro tools. These days, however, ALL mpcs I know of are sitting under desks or in boxes, in other words, not used.

I personally use logic, and I use a DX7 as a midi controller (I have the FM7, so I no longer need it as a synth). My studio has now been reduced to a GhzTi and a DX7, amp, monitors and nothing else. An mpc would be nice for drums, but since the pads are the only thing useful in a logic environment any mpc does the trick. I understand that people use reason because it's cheap, but the sequencer is horrible and if you are doing midi work it's a good idea to make the leap into logic. You won't ever look back and you can bet Logic 7 is going to be a major update in the spirit of FCP.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Yo, check out this keyboard:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcra30.html

I want some feedback as to whether this product looks good or not...

Its basically a combination MIDI keyboard and audio interface...the MIDI keyboard part is used for controlling softsynths and sequencers on a computer and the audio interface provides for recording audio onto the computer. I don't think this is what you're looking for, as you'd need to buy software to actually generate sounds or do any sampling / sequencing. The Triton is a self-contained workstation.

Go to the forums at www.futureproducers.com to see what kind of software / hardware people are using there. It's a pretty good resource, particularly if you are just starting out making music electronically.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

An mpc would be nice for drums, but since the pads are the only thing useful in a logic environment any mpc does the trick.

Have you checked out the MPD-16? If you're doing everything software, but miss the MPC pads it'd be right up your street.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Have you checked out the MPD-16? If you're doing everything software, but miss the MPC pads it'd be right up your street.

You know, I've seen that but it never really registered because I had an mpc until about june and haven't thought about it all this summer. It looks like it's selling for less that $250, so thanks to you making me focus on it I'll probably pick it up just in case I want it. Thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Big ups to kneel for all the nice info...that site is pretty cool, I remember going there a long time ago before. I listened to some of their beats though and they suck lol...but thats the case Ive found with every place online where people posted beats.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Maybe I was a bit hasty in recommending the MPC-4000 (although I've been jonesing to upgrade from the 2000xl for months)...it seems that some users are so pissed off with Akai not issuing a proper OS upgrade for the 4000 (to provide the full advertised feature set) that they are considering legal action against Akai...

More here (originally posted on the Yahoo MPC-4000 user group).

I guess I'll wait and see what the deal is with the 2500...
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Double post
  • Reply 29 of 50
    I heard about that...seems like Akai more or less released an unfinished product to the public and a lot of supposed features were left out...and this is preventing it from being THE choice. I dunno though...not like I could ever afford one in the first place (hence the reason I am wanting the MPC 1000). We'll see though...
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

I heard about that...seems like Akai more or less released an unfinished product to the public and a lot of supposed features were left out...and this is preventing it from being THE choice. I dunno though...not like I could ever afford one in the first place (hence the reason I am wanting the MPC 1000). We'll see though...

I'm curious: what would you use the mpc for when you have a midi sequencer that is much easier to use, cubase? Why not just get the mpd16? It seems like a waste of money to double up gear like that when you already have something that is easier to use.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Do you mean keyboard or what? The keyboard I have right now isnt even midi and is very old...so I cant use that. Plus, its much easier with pads than the keyboard keys....I can do SO much more with an MPC over a keyboard or software based synth. I dont have anything here right now....I used to just use other people's stuff to make beats.

If anyone on here would like to hear the 2 tracks Im working on this weekend I'll try to upload them somewhere.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

Do you mean keyboard or what? The keyboard I have right now isnt even midi and is very old...so I cant use that. Plus, its much easier with pads than the keyboard keys....I can do SO much more with an MPC over a keyboard or software based synth. I dont have anything here right now....I used to just use other people's stuff to make beats.

If anyone on here would like to hear the 2 tracks Im working on this weekend I'll try to upload them somewhere.

So it looks like the mpd16 would fit your needs just fine and at <$250, you save a TON of cash.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    I think I wanna go hardware cuz its just hard to get the really good sounds Im looking for on software. You can get some pretty good plugins but still, they just lack that specialy something. Reason sucks for hip hop Im convinced except for the drums...I have made some sweet ass drum basslines on Reason (2.0) but beyond that it cant emulate that pure hip hop/R&B sound I want it to. Also I have a PC at home and I use Fruity Loops...its pretty good once you throw away the stock sounds because those sound so cheap...a lot of people swear by that program but as far as doing anything hardware can? I doubt it, but Im stuck with what I got for now.

Anywayz, I just noticed the Yamaha R7000...I believe this is pretty new and I have heard it onboard sound effects and a better sample than the Akai MPCs....anyone know how much these run? I think they are pretty new...although if Yamaha has come out with a newer/improved model please inform me so I dont buy something of lesser quality.

http://www.rs7000.org/index.php

Im basing all my purchases on the hip hop/R&B factor, which is best for that....although I DO like to make music of any type...its just thats what I mainly focus on.

Looks pretty sweet...wonder how big it is. \
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Software like Reason or Fruity Loops can be limiting because they are not really pro-apps (not that a talented user can't get good sounds out of them). Don't write off software based production until you have checked out the kind of sh1t that can be done with Logic and some of the better VSTi plug-ins / softsynth packages out there (stuff like Native Instruments' Reaktor or Applied Acoustics' Tassman).

In the end, it comes down to personal preference AND budget. I like the responsiveness of dedicated hardware and I like the fact that an MPC won't crap out on me in a hot, humid club where a laptop might not be too reliable. I'm also a lot more likely to actually do stuff with hardware. I sometimes forget that I even have some of the software that's loaded onto my Windows box. One thing you should bear in mind about the MPC line is that they are sampling drum machines / sequencers...they don't create any sounds for you to make music with and you'll most likely need to spend more money on additional equipment and / or software to do what you want. I get the impression that you might be looking for a single piece of hardware that allows you to create a complete track. The RS7000 or a budget Triton might be better in this respect...

I don't have any hands on experience with the RS7000, but I hear it's a pretty nice piece of equipment. It is reported to have a better sampling engine than the MPC-2000XL / MPC-1000...but I doubt that it sequences better than an MPC. I personally prefer the MPC's pads to the setup on the RS7000...and the way you can lay down beats on these pads is key for hip-hop. Go to a Guitar Center or similar (without any money or credit cards so you don't get talked into a purchase) and see what best suits you in terms of what you want to do and what you can afford. Then look online for the best deal... www.zzounds.com are pretty reliable.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

I think I wanna go hardware cuz its just hard to get the really good sounds Im looking for on software.

Samples are samples. Everything that can be done with the mpc can be done with the wpd16 and logic, except that it's harder with the mpc. It seems to me that the mpc might be obsolete. From what I can tell, all it's good for is the pads, and those can be purchased separately.

Quote:

m basing all my purchases on the hip hop/R&B factor, which is best for that....although I DO like to make music of any type...its just thats what I mainly focus on.

Gear only matters in workflow, not in type of electronic music. Pads help for hip-hop because many folks want to be less analytical. Other than that, type of gear is unimportant. Don't buy into that talk of 'such and such is more for hip-hop.' The people that say that are just trying to look like they know more than they really do and/or trying to fit in. Trying to fit in is a sure-fire path to mediocrity and irrelevance.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

In the end, it comes down to personal preference AND budget. I like the responsiveness of dedicated hardware and I like the fact that an MPC won't crap out on me in a hot, humid club where a laptop might not be too reliable. I'm also a lot more likely to actually do stuff with hardware.

I also think there is something to be said about the benefits of limitation, both in software and hardware. Too many options often makes for shitty music. As I mentioned above, most producers don't know a whole, whole lot about gear and simply stick to what they know. So I certainly see benefits.

I do have to add that I have never had a problem with a laptop in a club.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

Samples are samples. Everything that can be done with the mpc can be done with the wpd16 and logic, except that it's harder with the mpc. It seems to me that the mpc might be obsolete. From what I can tell, all it's good for is the pads, and those can be purchased separately.

Sometimes it's easier to just have a dedicated box. I've had a 2408mkII and Digital Performer set up for three years and I've gotten more done in the last three months since I got an ASRX. I had so many problems trying to configure the midi set up with OS9 that I gave up till I can get X going, yet I turn on the power on the ASRX and within seconds I'm making beats.

The learning curve on the hardware sequencer is also so much lower and I figure that I can archive my ASRX sequences on floppy and then when I do finally figure out DP I can use it for fine editing.

The effects on a hardware box like that are also to me, of a higher quality than the average plug in. It's also nice to have ten individual outputs so that you can run individual sounds through analog effects before hitting tape/hard drive. Anyway whatever works for the individual is good by me, this just works much better for me than software alone.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Don't buy into that talk of 'such and such is more for hip-hop.' The people that say that are just trying to look like they know more than they really do and/or trying to fit in. Trying to fit in is a sure-fire path to mediocrity and irrelevance.

I agree with you on this to an extent...it's evident from many of the posts on online forums and user groups that a lot of people find out a little bit about one piece of hardware / software and tell everyone that its the only thing to use (ProTools being probably the biggest example of this, closely followed by the Triton and the MPC)...but there are often valid reasons for certain equipment being given the attention it receives.

A lot of burgeoning hip-hop producers have favored MPCs over the last fifteen years because hip-hop is largely based on samples and beats and MPCs are affordable, easy to use and handle sampling and beats pretty well. The layout of the pads lends itself to the composition of breakbeats (just as the layout of the TR-909 lends itself to building the kind of linear, pounding beats that Derrick May or Juan Atkins were using in the late 80s) and I reckon its pretty fair to say that the MPC series, particularly the 60 and the 3000, have done a lot to shape the sound of hip-hop over the years. The fact that its functions can be replicated with software and a MIDI controller doesn't necessarily make it obsolete (even if Roger Linn prefers to use Logic these days).

So, while saying that you can only make hip-hop tracks using an MPC is obviously inaccurate - saying that the MPC is extremely close to the heart of hip-hop production is valid. Just because someone wants to use the same equipment as a producer that he or she appreciates, doesn't mean that only derivative work will be produced. Scott Herren (Prefuse 73) cites Pete Rock's use of the MPC and SP-1200 as an inspiration, but IMO Herren has taken things to a new level with some of his recent work.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Prefuse 73 is sick......I think Premo uses the 2000xl now.

Wrong, you got any of your beats I could listen to? Im gonna put my stuff up in a couple days if I can find a site to upload them on.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I have dozens of loops and things but nothing very complete, but when I get something together I'll be sure to tell ya.