The "best" Panther installation

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this should go here or in another forum, but here goes.

I plan to upgrade from OS9.2.2 to Panther early next month. I've already removed all my personal files from the internal drive to an external hard drive and also backed up files on CDs. I want to install Panther on my internal HD with OS9.2.2. The internal drive currently has 8+Gigs of free space.

My question is, should I just put the Panther install CDs in my CD drive and "let 'er rip?" or should I completely reformat my internal drive and install Panther on a clean slate?

If I should reformat the drive before installing Panther, can someone point me to a link explaining how to do that? I've reformatted external HDs many times, but I've never reformatted my internal drive that has my OS on it.

I'm just asking because I want my installation of Panther to go as smooth as possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm going to back-up my start-up disk, check it for any problems, zero it, and then clean install. It's like when you bust out the new batteries for your smoke detectors when you switch to/from Daylight Savings Time.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Since you don't have a version of OS X on there already, you can do this:

Take the OS 9 System Folder and back it up

Do a clean install of Panther...and make sure to install the OS 9 drivers for the hard drive so you can boot to OS 9 in a pinch if you need

Once you're done and rebooted, just take the OS 9 System Folder you saved and drop it on the root level of the hard drive

If you already had some version of OS X on there, you could do an Archive and Install, which installs a fresh OS X System folder and moves the old one to a folder labeled "Previous Systems"
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I alwase just boot off the OSX cd and use the disk utility to format (check off OS 9 drivers if you need them)
  • Reply 4 of 20
    How much space will pnther take up? Around 2GB?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd go with a clean install. That will really help in the long run, and you get the new HFS+ file system installed.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I never installed OS 9 disk drivers on my iBook with Jaguar and 9 worked fine.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

How much space will pnther take up? Around 2GB?

the website says 3 gb
  • Reply 8 of 20
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

If you already had some version of OS X on there, you could do an Archive and Install, which installs a fresh OS X System folder and moves the old one to a folder labeled "Previous Systems"

Does the Archive install keep your old prefs?

or do u move them over manually?

what is the best way to install 10.3 over 10.2?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

Does the Archive install keep your old prefs?

or do u move them over manually?

what is the best way to install 10.3 over 10.2?

It moves all the third party stuff installed in your "System" folder to someplace safe and installs a fresh one. You can choose to preserve your existing user accounts, so all the personal prefs would remain.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Yeah, I really need some help here.

I'm a newbie (bought my MDD 1ghz last year) and It came with Jagwire...

I want to do a clean install (I will probably by a bigger HD and install at the same time, moving my current HD to a secondary drive, so....

When I install panther how do I move preferences, keychain, pics, itunes library to the new system? Or does it all have to be done manually
  • Reply 11 of 20
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Yea before installing 10.3 on a computer running 10.2.8 what are all the things I should do? I really don't want to reformat and install as I have way to much stuff to put back on. If I just do the regular upgrade feature are there anythings I should do first besides check the HD?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I brought my Panther installation back to 1.6 gig by deselecting all the languagepacks and printerdrivers and fonts which I will never use. It saves space, loadtimes, etc.

Also, startuptime on panter is greatly improved bytheway. My 700 mhz FP imac boots in 36 seconds from chime to loginwindow. impressive.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Yea before installing 10.3 on a computer running 10.2.8 what are all the things I should do? I really don't want to reformat and install as I have way to much stuff to put back on. If I just do the regular upgrade feature are there anythings I should do first besides check the HD?

I'm in a similar situation. I've only had my Mac for two weeks, so I doubt it's had time to pick up any serious issues that would be cleared up by a clean install. Also, I don't want to have to transfer 16GB of music and 4GB of digital photos to my PC and back again if I can avoid it. So would a regular update install be OK for me?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by /\\ldie

I brought my Panther installation back to 1.6 gig by deselecting all the languagepacks and printerdrivers and fonts which I will never use. It saves space, loadtimes, etc.

Also, startuptime on panter is greatly improved bytheway. My 700 mhz FP imac boots in 36 seconds from chime to loginwindow. impressive.

I've been wondering if I might be better off (in terms of startup time) just loading the English languagepack. Now I know. Thanks.

Do printer drivers really slow down startup in OSX? I thought OS9 (and OSX) only used them if you selected that particular driver via chooser. Forgive me for sounding stupid. I've been using OS9 at home and at work for a while and only recently started using Jaguar at work.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    When I get Panther I'm going to back everything up to my 20GB iPod and then do a fresh install. It certainly can't hurt.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Can someone please explain what the differences are between the 'journaled' and regular 'HFS+' installing options? (Other than journaling)

Thanks
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

When I get Panther I'm going to back everything up to my 20GB iPod and then do a fresh install. It certainly can't hurt.

I think I might do the same, when I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2 I did an achieve install but now I think it is time for a clean start and get rid of OS 9.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Im just going to back-up and wipe my entire machine. it has become slightly buggered up for some reason beyond me, but Im waiting for panther to come out, before I go through all that pain in the butt.

Thats when I will wipe the entire machine, and redo,

I personnaly would back-up, totaly erase, re-partition, **-with the Disk utility from the Panther Install CD-** before installing panther. Apple will have updated the Disk drivers, and the HFS file system etc, so it would be a very GOOD idea.

Just my advice from personal experience, over these years Ive learnt some very hard lessons!!!

Nick.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by reactor

Can someone please explain what the differences are between the 'journaled' and regular 'HFS+' installing options? (Other than journaling)

That's the *only* difference.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Okay, if your machine is not acting buggy and you are having no problems with it would it be okay to just do the upgrade function. And, if so, are there any extra things I should do to make it work better?

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY COPY!!!