Scanner Broken?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a CanoScan N670U, and whenever I try to scan the head sticks after moving a small distance and then returns to the original position. There error message states, "Release the lock switch, detach the USB cable and reconnect. Scanner driver will be closed." This happens in both OS X and 9, I've tried following the instructions and reinstalling the drivers - no effect.

I searched Google and found a post from a year ago in a dead forum thread that said this is not an unusual problem and has happened a couple times to him. He ran "scanner diagnostics" on another computer, and then returned it to the original computer and it worked perfectly.

So I have two questions - Is there anything I can do? and, are there scanner diagnostics for OS X or 9? Nothing like it was on the CD that came with the scanner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Well, I doubt that the solution to your problem is this simple, but it can't hurt to check the obvious. Do you realize that underneath your scanner is a lock switch that locks the head in place? This is to keep it from being damaged when transported. At least, that is the case on my Canon LiDE 30.

If it is broken, I will say that I took my scanner to an authorized repair facility and they ordered my a new scanner directly. Good customer service.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Oh, I thought I said I tried the lock switch No matter.

May I ask, how much was the repair? Or was it under warranty? I've discovered that I don't really need a fancy scanner, just something that can bring in pencil sketches. Or maybe - I could get a wacom tablet... get some inkwell action.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phong

Oh, I thought I said I tried the lock switch No matter.

May I ask, how much was the repair? Or was it under warranty? I've discovered that I don't really need a fancy scanner, just something that can bring in pencil sketches. Or maybe - I could get a wacom tablet... get some inkwell action.

I can tell you that the Wacom tablet is sweet. I've never used it on a Mac (used it at school in graphic design class on a crappy dell) so I don't know about inkwell, but I'm sure someone on here has experience with it. However, I love the Wacom tablets, extremely well build, very functional, and a lotta fun. Go for the tablet, but keep a cheap scanner around too. Prices are low, you can get good quality for real cheap now.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Is your tablet pressure sensitive? Those are more expensive - I wonder if they're worth it, and if so, maybe I might as well buy a tablet pc, and if so, maybe I should just wait for Apple to make one ... :/
  • Reply 5 of 5
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Quote:

"Release the lock switch, detach the USB cable and reconnect. Scanner driver will be closed." This happens in both OS X and 9, I've tried following the instructions and reinstalling the drivers - no effect.

I see now that by "following instructions" you meant you did release the lock switch. Too bad that wasn't it.

About my scanner repair??it was under warranty. Only a couple of weeks old. Just stopped responding, period. No charge for a new one. Im fortunate to live in a large city with an authorized repair center close by. Otherwise I guess I would have had to send it back to Amazon.

For my purposes, this cheap scanner provides excellent performance. Better than Id expected. It was only $66, from Amazon, free shipping. I did notice that it went up to $69 a bit later. Still, very cheap. Two nice qualities about the LiDE line:

1. Powered by the USB cable. No separate power cord.

2. Super slim. Mine is under my desk on a file cabinet.

Since I had to get a replacement, I can't speak for reliability. But as far as quality of scans, these inexpensive ones seem to perform surprisingly well. Slow, yes, but unless you scan a lot, it doesnt matter.