iDVD. what's it good for?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
how do i make a dvd more than 90 minutes? i don't understand apple's philosophy with limiting us. it's bad enough we have to convert stuff to .mov format

any free programs out there that i can do this with? i just bought iLife and don't want to spend any more

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

how do i make a dvd more than 90 minutes? i don't understand apple's philosophy with limiting us. it's bad enough we have to convert stuff to .mov format

any free programs out there that i can do this with? i just bought iLife and don't want to spend any more

a dvd-r contains roundabout 4,4Gb of data. with very good picture quality, this is 60min of video, with less quality it's 90min. more than 90min means very cheap quality (vhs and less!)

don't forget: a commercial dvd is double layerd! whcih means, it contains DOUBLE the data, what your home-brewed dvd can fit!

and:

iDVD uses a fixed compression rate, whcih is... ok. commercial DVDs are working with VBR, which means: variable compression rate, in the end, quality is much better with LESS space...-

what kind of "hollywood" project you try to realize, that you do need more then 90min?? less is more!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    i wanted to put 4 episodes of Carnivale on it guess i'll just burn one episdoe at a time to dvd-rw, watch it, reburn
  • Reply 3 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

i wanted to put 4 episodes of Carnivale on it guess i'll just burn one episdoe at a time to dvd-rw, watch it, reburn

You can use Toast 6 to burn them all as a DVD. I just did the same thing last night (put teh first 4 eps of Carnivale on DVD). I capture via Eye TV, drag'em into Toast, and hit burn.

Works like a top. Menus and everything.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 4 of 26
    you can with toast 6? 5.2.1 you can't even though it claims you can, it just burned a data dvd

maybe i'll have get toast 6
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

you can with toast 6? 5.2.1 you can't even though it claims you can, it just burned a data dvd

maybe i'll have get toast 6

My experience is this:

Eye TV makes mpeg-1 video. I drag and drop them into Toast 6 and hit burn. Toast then demuxes the video, upsamples the audio, and then remuxes the video (thus saving many many hours of video encoding) and burns a DVD.

Works like a charm, and well worth the money.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    what's Eye TV?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

what's Eye TV?

It's made by el Gato and is a PVR. You can schedule record times, cut out commercials, and burn directly to VCD or DVD.

Best of all: it does the encoding to mpeg-1 for you, and so when you're done recording, you don't have to spend any time encoding.

Amazing little gadget.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 8 of 26
    so Scott, i'm still confused. Toast 6 will burn a dvd and not a data dvd ? a data dvd is of course unviewable

my Carnivale files are already in mpeg-1 format
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

so Scott, i'm still confused. Toast 6 will burn a dvd and not a data dvd ? a data dvd is of course unviewable

my Carnivale files are already in mpeg-1 format

Yes. It'll burn a dvd that will play in your commercial DVD player.

With menus.

It's really quite cool.

the deal is that DVDs can be in mpeg-1 format. They don't look as good (they look like VCDs), but the deal is that to convert mpeg-1 to mpeg-2 (typical DVD format) would take a loooong time and would result in a loss of quality.

YOu can buy toast 6 direct from Roxio and download it as soon as you buy it.

Well worth the money.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 26
    hmm ...- getting confused....

toast (5, 6, anyhow) is able to toast dvds for BOTH standards, as a video-dvd or as a data-dvd.

for a video dvd, usable in a standalone dvd player, your video files has to be mpg2!

with toast5 you did need a seperate dvd authering app, like iDVD, dvd pro, or for the hardcore guys ffmpeg...

with toast 6 you are able to place ANY qt standard video format (.mov, .avi, .dv a.s.o) into the dialog box. the authering is done by toast6.

of course, you can produve a data-dvd, fitting 4,4Gb of mpeg1 video files! BUT: mpeg1 is another word for VCD, or "low quality" (=vhs). a data dvd with lots of mpeg1 file can be playbacked on a computer, like your mac with a program like vlc...-

and to confuse you all: yes, there is s-vcd! not bad, good for the rest of us, a little less quality as dvd, but much better then vcd. s-vcd is mpg2 (like dvd) but with smaller resultion and not so much comfortable like a real dvd (dozend of subtitels, diff. camer angels etc).

you can auther these s-vcds with a prg called sizzle... and toast your final files on a cd-r or on a data-dvd... again: data-dvd are NOT playable on a standalone dvd player.......

pffffffffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

hmm ...- getting confused....

toast (5, 6, anyhow) is able to toast dvds for BOTH standards, as a video-dvd or as a data-dvd.

Yes. The difference is that Toast 6 will actually burn an mpeg-1 DVD with menus without spending 20 hours converting the video to mpeg-2.

Quote:

for a video dvd, usable in a standalone dvd player, your video files has to be mpg2!

No. This is not true. The DVD standard allows for mpeg-1 video in a DVD. The problem is that until now, there's not been an easy way to do this.

Quote:

with toast5 you did need a seperate dvd authering app, like iDVD, dvd pro, or for the hardcore guys ffmpeg...

Right. And as you say, Toast 6 will convert ANYTHING for the most part to a playable DVD.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

?

No. This is not true. The DVD standard allows for mpeg-1 video in a DVD. The problem is that until now, there's not been an easy way to do this.

?

Cheers

Scott

a dvd with mpeg1? this is brandnew to me!

you're sure, you're not talking 'bout s-vcd (which is mpeg2, but quarter of resolution, but also menus and so on...)?

and does a stand-alone dvd player play this???

the womderful world of video standards (how 'bout ntsc<>pal no, just kiddin'!!)
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

you're sure, you're not talking 'bout s-vcd (which is mpeg2, but quarter of resolution, but also menus and so on...)?

Nope. DVD with mpeg-1 video. The only thing that needs to be changed is that the audio needs to be upsampled. So far as I can figure, that's *all* Toast does: demux, upsample audio, and re-mux. No re-encoding of video.

I can burn 5 43-minute videos of the West Wing in about 3 hours on my G4/533. Clearly not re-encoding the video, which would take 20+ hours on my machine, probably.

If you want to do it in the old-school way, you can do this:

1) Demux the captured video.

2) Convert the .mp2 (audio file) to an .aiff or .wav using iTunes. Upsample it there (in the advanced tab under "import" in the preferences) to 16-bit, 48 khz, 224 kbs.

3) Use Missing Mpeg Tools (mp2enc) to convert the .wav/.aiff to .mp2 to 224 kbs, 48 khz, stereo

4) use Missing Mpeg Tools (mplex) to mux the .mp2 and the .m1v.

5) use Missing Mpeg Tools (vcdxgen) to make a VOB folder.

6) use Missing Mpeg Tools (vcdxbuild) to make the DVD disk image for toast.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

Scott

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

And yes, Toast makes DVD menus and everything. I can select the particular episode I want to watch.

It will *not* do individual chapters within each title, but that's ok.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

From the Elgato web site:

Q. Can EyeTV play back at Full Screen?

A. Yes. The EyeTV hardware captures at a fixed resolution of 352 by 240 pixels and compresses both video and audio to MPEG-1...

I suppose the EyeTV has its uses, but 352x240 resolution sucks. That's only 25% of the resolution of standard TV (half of the resolution both horizontally and vertically). If you make a DVD from this quality of video and play it back on even a 19" TV its going to look pretty bad.

Unfortunately, the full-resolution video capture devices I've seen are a good bit more expensive.

I have a few old laser discs, titles that still aren't on DVD, that I'd like to try to make DVDs from. My dilemma is that it's not worth the price of a high quality video capture device just to convert a handful of laser discs. Even at $200 for the EyeTV, with much less video quality than I'd like, I can't see spending the money for a one-time need. I'm going to see if I can borrow a friend's digital video camera and coax it into serving as an analog/digital video converter for me. (He's not sure yet if it has analog inputs or not.)
  • Reply 16 of 26
    The DVDs look fine to me. You don't really notice the compression unless you're watching at full-screen on an LCD up close (like on my 20" CD) or on a CRT up close.

I find them perfectly watchable. Looks like a VHS tape.

And I didn't have to spend 20 hours encoding video.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 17 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel what's Eye TV?

Why, it's only the greatest ad to EVER appear in Macworld magazine...THAT'S what it is!!!

(some of you may remember the El Gato "cutie-pie vixen on toilet, using a PowerBook" ad - and my perverse fascination with it - from about a year ago...)

• Reply 18 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I find them perfectly watchable. Looks like a VHS tape.

"Perfectly watchable" and VHS do not belong in the same sentence.

Then again, I do most of my viewing on a 65" HDTV, so I'm fussy.

The horizontal resolution of VHS and the EyeTV are comparable, but VHS at least captures all of the vertical scan lines (525, 480 viewable) in a standard resolution NTSC video signal. The EyeTV either throws out half of the vertical information, or cuts it in half by averaging pairs of scan lines together.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Why, it's only the greatest ad to EVER appear in Macworld magazine...THAT'S what it is!!!

(some of you may remember the El Gato "cutie-pie vixen on toilet, using a PowerBook" ad - and my perverse fascination with it - from about a year ago...)

Hey, I remember that, and ....

....it's old gen TI, with IR port.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

"Perfectly watchable" and VHS do not belong in the same sentence.

Then again, I do most of my viewing on a 65" HDTV, so I'm fussy.

The horizontal resolution of VHS and the EyeTV are comparable, but VHS at least captures all of the vertical scan lines (525, 480 viewable) in a standard resolution NTSC video signal. The EyeTV either throws out half of the vertical information, or cuts it in half by averaging pairs of scan lines together.

Well, it looks fine to me. I mean, a) I'm recording from a broadcast signal, so it's not going to be digital quality to begin with. b) I'm willing to trade some quality for not having to spend a day encoding video.

There *is* a high-quality mode on Eye TV, which IIRC uses double the bitrate of the normal quality. DVDs from this burn fine, as well. I never bother, since the signal isn't that great to begin with.

Cheers

Scott