Virtual PC Question: Games

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Im not sure if this should be under another category or not. But this kinda seemed right to be under. Im sure someone can answer it quick.

With virtual pc installed, can you run video games for windows? Like Battelfield 1942 or other games.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I don't think so. I think there's no 3d acceleration in VPC so games are a no no. Someone else could tell you better.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Search. PC games under Virtual PC. Sorry, VPC is not worth it unless YOU HAVE TO USE IT.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    If VPC will even run games it wouldn't be worth it. It hogs processor time so much that games will probably not even be functional. Even on a Mac with a really high clock speed, it's not even worth trying.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    And it doesn't work on G5s.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    VPC is completely unsuitable for games. It works ok for non-graphic intensive apps and I don't use it unless I have no alternative.

My experience is on a 700 MHz iBook. Those with G4's may have better performance but I still think they'll agree VPC is no gaming solution.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    thanks guys, i was just curious to know. I mean i dont plan on really gaming since i switch this week. I was just curious incase a game comes out that i wanted to play or anything.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Playing games on VPC is popular with the same crowd that relishes masturbation using cheese graters.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    People masturbate with G5s!?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Depends on the game. Before Diablo was released for the Mac, I ran it just fine using VPC on my 266MHz beige G3!! Once I got Diablo for my mac, I did a few tests and found that I could not tell the difference in speed/gameplay between the Mac version and PC version under emulation.

I also tried out Sim 'Copter (I think that was the name) which ran decently under VPC. However I didn't like it so never played it.

This was all using win95 (on OS 8/9). Anything else was slower.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    What is up with Real PC? I heard that will have better Video Card support/performance
  • Reply 11 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

What is up with Real PC? I heard that will have better Video Card support/performance

Hmmm, let's see

About RealPC for Mac

No good. Not at all.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Older versions of VPC under OS 8 and 9 had direct access to graphic hardware I think so could play games better.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I played Age of Empires 2 on VPC on a Pismo! The OS was Windows 98. It played pretty well - I joined in a LAN party with it.

Alas, my new AlBook doesn't do so well - I can't even run Discworld (an ancient Dos point-and-click game). Well, it runs, but the sound is terrible. Mebbe it's 'cos the only OS I have now is Windows XP...

Amorya
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Will VPC run an online poker application? Its not intense with graphics. I have many friends that play poker together online and I cannot participate because there is no Mac version of the software. I have no other use for VPC and would hate to waste the money on it.

thnx
  • Reply 15 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I have tried in the past to run microprose's " European Air war " using Virtual PC ( windows 98 )

Game would start up, but then the key board would not respond to the various commands )

IMO it's a waste of time....but at least VPC is useful for other things...like errmmmm......