Virtual PC 6.1 issues

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After installing OS X 10.8, WORD for MAC was crashing. I re-installed OS X and now I can't even install Windows 2000 Pro anymore.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm so fed up with Microsoft and happy to be using a MAC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

After installing OS X 10.8, Virtual PC 6.1 is crashing (WORD). I re-installed OS X and now I can't even install Windows 2000 Pro anymore.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm so fed up with Microsoft, I'm ready to dump WORD and start using AppleWorks!

There is no MacOS X 10.8. 10.3 will ship on October 24.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

There is no MacOS X 10.8. 10.3 will ship on October 24.

Sorry, I meant OS X 10.2.8.

• Reply 3 of 9
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Sorry, I meant OS X 10.2.8.

OK, I re-installed OS X 10.2.8 (TWICE) and VPC 6.1 seems to be working fine now. Still a little buggy but I expect that; it IS a Microsoft product.

I happy now.

• Reply 4 of 9
    Slightly OT, but VPC 6.1 seems a little slower in 10.3 than Jaguar. Anyone else notice this? \
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    which version of vpc is best, most stable and run the most software with 2k pro, xp home, xp pro??

which system is best?

if ibook is updated to g3 1gz and pb12 g4 1gz will vpc work equally well???
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I've had good luck with Win 2k in VPC. Won't really be that fast though, no hardware graphics acceleration so the interface is sluggish. I think VPC has some altivec code so G4 should be faster. Can't use G5 though.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I have XP and Win 2K loaded in my VP 6.1, and I noticed that 2K loads faster and is a bit less sluggish than XP. However, I am using a PB and a slow HD, so I would recommend, or wish I had, a faster HD.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ac7860

I have XP and Win 2K loaded in my VP 6.1, and I noticed that 2K loads faster and is a bit less sluggish than XP. However, I am using a PB and a slow HD, so I would recommend, or wish I had, a faster HD.

what are your specs for the PB and hd speed, I am considering a PB12 or updated iBook. thanks for the info on windows 2k, since this would be the only use for windows (my telerad program) i'm trying to get the least sluggish system.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    NOFEER,

I have a PB 667 GigE with a 30G HD (4,200 RPM) and 512 RAM. However, I have two possible problems with my system; one, I am using about 22 of the 27 gigs, and two, I am not sure if 512 is enough RAM, because I would not use less than 128 for Win 2K. Not leaving too much left for OSX and other programs.

I am not sure if others have this problem but my VP like to use the HD A LOT. This is were a faster HD would, in m y opinion, be a advantage. I also this is the bottle neck for my PB. I am seriously considering getting a 60G (7,200) HD to try and correct my VP problem; along with more RAM. But, I am not sure if the HD will affect my screen.

Oh?an additional note, the new PB?s have a faster HD controller ATA100 verses my ATA66. This could help Win 2K run faster.