Searching in Panther Mail

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the appalling search facility in Jaguar's mail app has been improved in Panther's mail? which just seems to throw up random results, this is the single most annoying thing for me in OS X.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by neptunium4321

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the appalling search facility in Jaguar's mail app has been improved in Panther's mail? which just seems to throw up random results, this is the single most annoying thing for me in OS X.

Thanks

the search feature in Jaguar has always worked great for me. never get random results, what I search for always returns the right stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    The problem with the search is that it searches for mail that has any of those words.

SO if you do a search for

Motorola Codewarrior

You'd get all mail with either Motorola in it or CodeWarrior. It does make searching a lot harder, frankly.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Panther mail.app highlights your search term in the email. So it can't be THAT random.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Maybe its me.

But lets say that I want to see all the messages sent to me by Ian Smith, he has multiple email addresses so I search for "ian smith" in the entire message, unfortunately mail ranks an email containing a news artical on the Israel crisis top picking up Palestin"ian" several times.

I know I can search the "FROM" field only, but Mail should still in my view rank occurances of Ian as a name higher than occurances where ian is part of another word. Mail's search facility also seems to ignore the relevance of the "smith" part of the search term?

Any thoughts on why this is occuring am I missing something? or is Mail's search facility just c**p.

Don't get me wrong OS X is great, I'm glad I made the switch, but due to the research job I do Mail's seemingly poor search facility is the most annoying thing for me in Jaguar.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by neptunium4321

Maybe its me.

But lets say that I want to see all the messages sent to me by Ian Smith, he has multiple email addresses so I search for "ian smith" in the entire message, unfortunately mail ranks an email containing a news artical on the Israel crisis top picking up Palestin"ian" several times.

I know I can search the "FROM" field only, but Mail should still in my view rank occurances of Ian as a name higher than occurances where ian is part of another word. Mail's search facility also seems to ignore the relevance of the "smith" part of the search term?

Any thoughts on why this is occuring am I missing something? or is Mail's search facility just c**p.

Don't get me wrong OS X is great, I'm glad I made the switch, but due to the research job I do Mail's seemingly poor search facility is the most annoying thing for me in Jaguar.

I see. That does suck. But have you thought about using rules to move mail to other folders? It would solve at least some of your problem. I can't say anything about the rest. :/ Panther's mail does a great job handling threaded messages, though, so it may make things better for you in that way.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Rules would be of help except that I have a wide range of contacts that I have to email, hopefully Panther mail's threading behaviour will help.

Anyway does anyone know if Mail in Panther solves this problem?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

The problem with the search is that it searches for mail that has any of those words.

SO if you do a search for

Motorola Codewarrior

You'd get all mail with either Motorola in it or CodeWarrior. It does make searching a lot harder, frankly.

Mail can actually handle this, but only in the 'Entire Message' search feature. If you are using this (not the "to", "From" or "Subject") then if you enter 'Motorola and CodeWarrior' you only get e-mails that have both words.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *laugh*

And all this time I've only been trying '&' or '+'. Heh.

Thanks for the tip.