Who is buying a new PowerBook?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Reply 321 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

Are you all ready for this bit of info? My 15" powerbook is shipping VIA FED EX!!!!

I just got my shipping notice today (a week before they said it would ship) and it's winging on it's way.

That's great! In addition to going with a better carrier, I hope they've fixed the problems that others and I have run into with our AlPB's. Keep us posted.

I'm still waiting on my repair (status is Hold-Waiting for parts; I presume they're waiting on the new LCD, which I hope is not going to develop white spots!).

-N
  • Reply 322 of 336
    guess whos powerbook is waiting for collection at the local apple centre?

thats right, mine.

*high fives to everyone*

*slaps self on arse*
  • Reply 323 of 336
    TNT delivered my 15" two hours ago !!

Yesssss.... Finaly. Ordered oct. 2. Shipped with 10.2.7.

Mint condition. No problems so far.
  • Reply 324 of 336
    so i have it. oh yes.

i like it a lot. no wobbles. the latch works perfick. no complaints.
  • Reply 325 of 336
    So I got my powerbook and I'm havign to send it back to apple.

1) The latch for some reason will randomly pop open...

2) The right side of the screen every now and then is darker than the rest of the display. Resting the video memory didn't help.

So once again I'll find myself without a computer. And in the midst of major exams here at med school. Quite a pain!

Tell me, has anyone else had an experience with the repair department that might be able to share a turn around time. The phone rep said 5-7 business days.

I had a buddy who had to have his iPod worked on and they had it for 3 weeks! Thus, I'm contemplating holding onto the computer until after finals week in November.
  • Reply 326 of 336
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

So I got my powerbook and I'm havign to send it back to apple.

Tell me, has anyone else had an experience with the repair department that might be able to share a turn around time. The phone rep said 5-7 business days.

I had a buddy who had to have his iPod worked on and they had it for 3 weeks! Thus, I'm contemplating holding onto the computer until after finals week in November.

They had mine exactly a calendar week. Shipped Friday the 17th, picked up at 4:00 PM PST. Got it back at 3:00PM Friday the 24. Shipped from Houston Thursday the 23 at 6:00 PM MST.

The repair shipping is very very good. This is the fourth time I've shipped back and forth this way, and I have always been happy.

Hopefully you won't have to wait for parts at the repair.
  • Reply 327 of 336
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    If it were not for the screen, this would be one kick-ass machine. It's solid, does not vibrate, and the keyboard is to die for. But the screen -- I am sorry to say -- is inferior to most laptop TFTs out there. In fact, I think that Titaniums had better, brighter, and clearer screens. I was just working on a client's titanium and I swear to God his was brighter. And his did not have that slight brightness difference between the right and left sides of the display panel.
  • Reply 328 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

A couple of weeks ago, I brought my iBook to the Palo Alto store on Thursday night, after school (about 8:30 pm). It arrived on my doorstep on Monday afternoon!

The only frustration: no status update on Friday and then on Monday the case was closed with no comments. A previous repair said when it left the store, when it arrived at the repair facility, when work started, etc. I expected this past repair to go to Texas, but the shipping label said it came from Tennessee.
  • Reply 329 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

If it were not for the screen, this would be one kick-ass machine. It's solid, does not vibrate, and the keyboard is to die for. But the screen -- I am sorry to say -- is inferior to most laptop TFTs out there. In fact, I think that Titaniums had better, brighter, and clearer screens. I was just working on a client's titanium and I swear to God his was brighter. And his did not have that slight brightness difference between the right and left sides of the display panel.

You've mentioned this a few times, and I have to say, after careful consideration, you are on crack!

Seriously, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Both of my screens --- the original, spotty one, and the current one --- have (had) very even lighting, and have been so bright I never have them above 1/2-way, even in my brightly-lit office. In the dark, I wish the LCD would go a bit darker before "off".

I can't remember --- did you get a repair for spots? If not, I'd consider sending it in for your lighting issues. It sucks to suffer through less-than-perfect.
  • Reply 330 of 336
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neandertal

That's great! In addition to going with a better carrier, I hope they've fixed the problems that others and I have run into with our AlPB's. Keep us posted.

I'm still waiting on my repair (status is Hold-Waiting for parts; I presume they're waiting on the new LCD, which I hope is not going to develop white spots!).

-N

Here's the update: my pb came this morning (10/20) and i think i can say that it's perfect. i got one with a 5400 drive and all the other bells and whistles. this switch has been storybook perfect. i'm working on a letter to apple.
  • Reply 331 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

Here's the update: my pb came this morning (10/20) and i think i can say that it's perfect. i got one with a 5400 drive and all the other bells and whistles. this switch has been storybook perfect. i'm working on a letter to apple.

Bitch

My PB is almost perfect (2 Stuck pixels). I had a bit of a downer over this - I still might try and do something about this if anything else goes wrong...

But I am a switcher and this is BLOWING MY MIND...

At the moment I am ripping a CD into iTunes (and that CDDB thing that automatically gets the track names is sooooo cool), I'm listening to a different song from my iTunes library, I'm writing up my lecture/reading notes in Word, and I'm typing this in IE (sorry but Safari isn't compatible with my School's network. Wow!

But - neone find the Superdrive a bit noisy??? It might bother me if I'm trying to watch a quiet DVD...

GOD! This computer is awesome. And I love typing on this thing...
  • Reply 332 of 336
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

...and I'm typing this in IE (sorry but Safari isn't compatible with my School's network. Wow!

Have you tried Omniweb 4.5? It manages some sites where Safari simply gives up.
  • Reply 333 of 336
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Bitch

My PB is almost perfect (2 Stuck pixels). I had a bit of a downer over this - I still might try and do something about this if anything else goes wrong...

But I am a switcher and this is BLOWING MY MIND...

At the moment I am ripping a CD into iTunes (and that CDDB thing that automatically gets the track names is sooooo cool), I'm listening to a different song from my iTunes library, I'm writing up my lecture/reading notes in Word, and I'm typing this in IE (sorry but Safari isn't compatible with my School's network. Wow!

But - neone find the Superdrive a bit noisy??? It might bother me if I'm trying to watch a quiet DVD...

I feel ya holmes! it's a killer machine. I've just noticed the screen things people are bitching about (white spots and darker on the right) which hurts, but shit, I still love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a switcher too, I think im gonna marry this 15" bizatch!
  • Reply 334 of 336
    Quote:

Actually, I'm amazed how silent mine is, ripping CDs or DVDs. I was a bit worried about that, but the noise level is really low (to me).
  • Reply 335 of 336
    my combo is a little noisy when ripping cds. but not overly.

and yeh, i gotta say, DAMN. i love this computer. my girlfriend is getting jealous...