Out of Date Powerbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How much out of date do you think the Powerbook G4's will be by this time next year? I'm still considering buying one towards the begining of the next semester/new year. I'm eager to see if a PB G5 will be released, but I don't think I want to wait until the begining of the next school year to buy it.

Maciek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Hate to tell ya my fellow Cheesehead, but the moment you buy your Powerbook...it will be out of date...that's just the way of the industry. But plan on an update in March or April, and another one this time next year.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Hate to tell ya my fellow Cheesehead, but the moment you buy your Powerbook...it will be out of date...that's just the way of the industry.

Are you kidding? It takes forever for brand new PowerBooks to become out of date.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Hardware, for apple's powerbook seems to me to be outdated every 6 months. But looks are forever
  • Reply 4 of 23
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Hmmm,

An update around March, maybe I should wait till then, because I can't upgrade an older Powerbook then could I? I really feel like I need a laptop soon, but I'm hesitant because of upgrades...but if I'm like this won't I always be?

BTW - are any of you collge students?

And by out of date does that mean proprietary? How much slower would my PW be?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Since apple still has not fill all the orders for the desktop G5's, I think that it will be quite a while before we see a G5 pb. I would wait till after the MWSF before making your purchase. Semesters don't usually start up till late in January. Maybe the latest and greatest graphics card will go into the new pb and hopefully the next big jump in hard disk size will see its way into the new books. But I will say that the 17 pb I have is great and will stay with this size from now on.

reg
  • Reply 6 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

And by out of date does that mean proprietary? How much slower would my PW be?

Anyone have a link to that english translator?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Hahah...I guess I don't really know what I'm asking either. So...scratch that.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

BTW - are any of you collge students?

I'm a university student who has just purchaced a 15" 1ghz AlBook..well i purchaced the day they were released, so i've had it for 3 or so weeks now, maybe 4.

Its a great machine, what are you doing at collage that will require a g5? this machine works very well and handles everything i can through at it very well. Panther runs very smoothly and expose works wonderfully, even with multimple movies playing in QT.

If you need a machine anytime soon, don't hesitate on the new PBs.

i have 768MB of ram btw, adding an extra 512 took me about 10 seconds....well it took an hour or so 2 find someone with a screw driver that would fit the tiny screws, but after that it was simple.

buy a powerbook and don't look back, the sooner you buy, the longer it will be before it goes out of date.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I am considering a new PB too, but I think I will wait for the G5 next fall. However, if I had a G3 PB then my view might be different. But, these new 15? PB are very nice and are cheaper than when I bought mine in November 2001.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I feel pretty strongly that if you are doing any actual school work that requires some high-powered hardware, the school/professor/etc should provide it. This includes research.

Don't confuse need with desire. That being said, I don't begrudge anyone who wants a dual G5.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Out of date is an English expression that refers to the concept of the usefullness of a good expiring (ending, dieing, etc.). All of our perishable food items sold in stores are marked with an expiry date for this reason. For example, out of date bread is probably mouldy, out of date milk is probably sour, etc. You could substitute "after the date" in place of "out of the date", and have pretty much the same meaning.

The best way I can define proprietary would be to say that it is the opposite of open. For example, if the entire computer industry uses a certain type of SVGA connector, and one computer manufacturer uses a connector that only works with their monitors, it would be considered proprietary.

Here's the most appropriate definition:

Proprietary - Exclusively owned; private: a proprietary hospital.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Fellow cheeseheads....

one of whose name is filmmaker...

A powerbook will remain competent for a long time, even after updated models come out.

I am editing my feature film on a 733mhz g4 powermac and have absolutely no problems. And I only have 512Mb of ram. if one can edit a feature on a 733, a 1.25 powerbook will due just fine. There are more powerful G4 and G5 powermacs, but my 733 still does the trick. The next feature i edit will be on a G4 or G5 powerbook, whichever is out by the time we start editing.

anyone interested can visit www.veganfilm.com The new site should be launched any day now.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I've had a 1ghz TiBook for a little under a year now, and it still feels brand new...maxing out the RAM after a couple of months made me feel like I got a more recent upgrade

My next computer purchase won't be until a revision or two after they squeeze the G5 into a powerbook...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    I really don't know what to do. I am eager for a new machine, preferably a PB, but is it practical to buy a G4 one, or wait till a G5 is released? If not I badly want a "hold-over" machine but that could grow unneccesarily expensive. I'm really in a bind, especailly for money, so I can't be buying too many computers before my freshman year in college. It being so, I don't forsee myself using the PB for anything more rigerous than video, word processing, everyday things, and some sparse gaming. So perhaps waiting for a April/March upgrade of the PB would be the move to make(?) rather than trying to hold out until next Winter for a G5. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Maciek
  • Reply 15 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Out of date is an English expression that refers to the concept of the usefullness of a good expiring (ending, dieing, etc.). All of our perishable food items sold in stores are marked with an expiry date for this reason. For example, out of date bread is probably mouldy, out of date milk is probably sour, etc. You could substitute "after the date" in place of "out of the date", and have pretty much the same meaning.

The best way I can define proprietary would be to say that it is the opposite of open. For example, if the entire computer industry uses a certain type of SVGA connector, and one computer manufacturer uses a connector that only works with their monitors, it would be considered proprietary.

Here's the most appropriate definition:

Proprietary - Exclusively owned; private: a proprietary hospital.

Hope this helps.

I think murbot was kidding...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    I think the smart thinhg would be to sit it out until the next update.

Wait till the next update and then get it immediately, then you'll feel you get much more LIFE out of it...
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by moliu

I think the smart thinhg would be to sit it out until the next update.

Wait till the next update and then get it immediately, then you'll feel you get much more LIFE out of it...

Are you f@#$ing serious? The new Powerbooks are barely a month old!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Hmmm, the next update.

Well the next update will probably a ram and storage update yes? Or what is expected? Is it likely that Apple would boost CPU again, maybe they will release G5 earlier than expected, since there is speculation that iMac is getting G5 soon. I would expect the Power line to get G5 quicker than consumer line. THen again this is just speculation.

Maciek
  • Reply 19 of 23
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Well I have noticed that many retailers do have extremely low stock of the new powerbooks. And they did come out pretty close to the end of the year. So maybe you should wait until January just to make sure 2004 isn't the real year of the laptop. Maybe an ibook will hold you over for a few months until new cool g5 powerbooks come out, if they appear in the next 6 months.

Maybe apple didn't make to many al pbs, because a new one will be out at the first of the year.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Why even take the next update, then? We all know the update after that will be even better...I say wait until MWSF '07, then you'll find a PB with some real power.

Freaks.