Great things to come from....APPLE - part 2

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I also talked about HDTV.

Apple need time make things to work.

Here was my list from March 24th 2003 and I will revise.

posted 03-24-2003 04:44 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are words.

1) Clustering ¡© Grid computing.

--> It will be coming. Maybe Jan 2004 (?)

2) MPEG-4 with H.264

--> NAB 2004 or little early

3) MPEG-2 with Transportation Stream

--> NAB 2004 or little early

4) Broadcasting over Wi-Fi

--> Jan 2004

5) Multi-User: Net boot

-->

6) DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD

--> DVCPRO 50 is here, DVCPRO HD at NAB 2004 or little early

7) HDTV as Monitor and TV: 30inch LCD.

8 ) OPEN GL with Quartz Extreme

--> Look in the pather

9) PCI-X

--> it is here.

10) Bluetooth: Hand Phone

--> Jan 2004

11) 64 Bit Computing: 970

--> G5

12) Tablet form fact :I****v2

--> Still waiting

13) DNA¡¦ I wish

--> I am still wishing

And there will be more but it will be slow to come.

Have a nice day¡¦

--------------------------------------------------------

It is up to you to belive or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Matsu makes a post full of smilies in 3... 2.... 1....

A phone in January, huh? I know there were rumors that one was ready to roll earlier this year.

The HDTV stuff I can buy, easily, because Apple is moving aggressively in that direction (more on the content creation side, but still). The phone, however, even though it would be so easy for Apple to do, I just don't see happening. Sure, they could come up with the perfect little pared-down Bluetooth phone, but why compete with all the companies they're partnering with? Are they going to try to get every wireless carrier to sell them with contracts? If not, they'll be frozen out.

Unless this refers to a piece of software that works with a cell phone (and Address Book, and iCal, and iSync) I just don't see it happening. If there's a hook I haven't thought of, I'm all ears.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    Ah Kormac, your posts are always thought provoking. (to some just provoking) but you exhibit a vision I wish Steve Jobs would pick up on.

While even Bill Gates can appreciate the "convergence" thing with his "Media Center" PC's, it seems that Apple doesn't realize that it's "Digital Hub" is missing a spoke.

I hope you get the HDTV 30" screen/monitor right as I would rather buy one that I can hook my Mac to than waste all that money on just a TV. I am in the market to move up to HDTV and would gladly give my money to Apple for such a convergence product.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

I hope you get the HDTV 30" screen/monitor right as I would rather buy one that I can hook my Mac to than waste all that money on just a TV. I am in the market to move up to HDTV and would gladly give my money to Apple for such a convergence product.

It's been stated many times before that His Steveness hates television. If a 30" LCD comes to the Faithful, it will be for use with a Macintosh.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think Apple is on the right direction: People don't want to attach their computers to tv's...They want their TV on the computer. Get it? I think it makes good sense for Apple to work in that direction instead of the Gateway plan
  • Reply 5 of 85
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think Apple is on the right direction: People don't want to attach their computers to tv's...They want their TV on the computer. Get it? I think it makes good sense for Apple to work in that direction instead of the Gateway plan

Amen. My HDTV has a DVI input and while I CAN hook my PB 17" up to it, it's more of a pain...connector is in the rear. Ever try moving a 65" TV just to hook up your computer? Bah....

I think the computer/TV combo could be a winner, if done right. And knowing Apple, they tend to implement technology the right way. Definately not Gateway-ish.

And Kormac, 50-50 so far, keep up the info, even if it's years, or in the Grid case, closer than we all think (I think it'll be even closer than MWSF).
  • Reply 6 of 85
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

I also talked about HDTV.

Ahhh, I see you noticed my 'BUMP' on your post.

As I have been here the 'longest' (earliest registration known to man), I have been most entertained by you, old man.

Nice to hear from you again.

Peace....JRC!
  • Reply 7 of 85
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    kormac.

i second JRC in saying that it's good to see you around buddy!

i could care less what others think about your posts around here.

drop some new science for us to digest........
  • Reply 8 of 85
    Thanks.

It is sad that this forum is quiet silent lately.

It was good when we talked about what Apple will do and what Apple must do.

I wish that time coming back again to this forum.

But, I still have faith on APPLE and I think APPLE will make things to happen , no matter how long it will take.

P.S.: iMac line became very low profile lately and Digital Hub plan was also mute status. What do you think What APPLE is thinking ?

Think! Digital HUB is with Picture, Sound and VIDEO!

see ya later.
  • Reply 9 of 85
    The TV aspect of the digital hub should not for doing computing on a 65" wide screen, but rather for viewing the movies that you download to your hard drive on the 65" wide screen, as well as the 27" in your bedroom, and for the diehards the 14" in your bathroom. Think iTunes for your video collection, all it needs is a simple set-top box to link into OS X on your main computer/"server" and call up the movie you want to watch from your hard drive. It might be nice if each one had room for 2 hard drives which mounted automatically via rondevue to your mac, thus increasing your storage capacity of your "network". This would be all the more powerfull if they kept the price to a minimum since a lot people would want to buy at least 2 of them. All they need is a processor fast enough to play the movie, and have some processing cycles left over to handle minor "network" calls to its hard drive, say one standard 60 GB HD with one bay open, with the ability to handle 2 200-300 GB hard drives.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Most people who want tv on their computers really want:

* To input their home movies into the computer and edit

*Utilize their extra hard drive space to turn their tv into a tivo and record their favorite shows

Watching tv on the coputer is a side effect, Larger screen TVs are too cheap and computer monitors are too small.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

8 ) OPEN GL with Quartz Extreme

--> Look in the pather

QE is OpenGL - also in 10.2!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

nd Kormac, 50-50 so far, keep up the info, even if it's years, or in the Grid case, closer than we all think

Uhm, anyone can mention a lot of future technologies and of course Apple will use some of them.

Btw. clustering is here and has been for a while. Grid computing != clustering.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    Quote:

It is up to you to belive or not.

I choose not to believe. I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings though.
    jrc
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I choose not to believe. I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings though.

You're just angy because there are fewer and fewer 'Plastics' for you to make, now that Steve has gone metal on you!

(Of course, I, like many others, have the impossibly daunting task of keeping the many incarnations of KimKapSol straight)

JRC
  • Reply 14 of 85
    Here's what's always bothered me about Kormac, the fake Asian "accent" even when writing. I mean he throws around computer jargon and acronyms better than most of the native speakers on this board, yet still can't conjugate simple verbs? Please.

Apple NEEDS time.

I feel like Truman Capote in Murder By Death. "Say your God damned pronouns!"

I think the whole "report from the Far East" thing is a total con. I'll bet you Kormac is an American teenager who (correctly) thought an international flair would give his posts credibility.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Here's what's always bothered me about Kormac, the fake Asian "accent" even when writing. I mean he throws around computer jargon and acronyms better than most of the native speakers on this board, yet still can't conjugate simple verbs? Please.

Apple NEEDS time.

I feel like Truman Capote in Murder By Death. "Say your God damned pronouns!"

I think the whole "report from the Far East" thing is a total con. I'll bet you Kormac is an American teenager who (correctly) thought an international flair would give his posts credibility.

Anyone with 1/2 brain KNOWS it was one way to disguise himself.

He did/would not fall into workerbees foibles.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

Anyone with 1/2 brain KNOWS it was one way to disguise himself.

He did/would not fall into workerbees foibles.

Anyone with half a brain knows workerbee was caught when Apple supeona'd his ISP. No posting style will change your IP address.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Btw. clustering is here and has been for a while. Grid computing != clustering.

That's not the Grid computing of which I speak. Take a look at this article on the definition of Grid Computing.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Uhm, anyone can mention a lot of future technologies and of course Apple will use some of them.

But specific things were not known to be worked on by Apple back in March. That these things are coming now, 7 months down the road, means that Apple WAS working on them at the time. Sure, I could say "fuel cells" in laptops, but it is well known to be a technology everyone is working on - things like Multi-user and Wi-Fi broadcasting are technologies not everyone is interesting in developing.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

But specific things were not known to be worked on by Apple back in March.

And it was not known by kormac either - he guesses by hunting the web for new technologies, nothing more.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    Well, if people are appearing out of the woodwork, I suppose I should as well. I am sorry not to have been present as much as I have been, but I have been lurking, don't you all fret.

Interesting to note the above Kormac. You are probably feeling pretty good about yourself. And I don't blame you. Looking forward to what other opinions you choose to send our way.

It seems to me that this Virginia Tech machine is going to potentially catapult Apple into a whole new line of business, which will open eyes.

As for specific hardware introductions that intrigue me, I can't think of anything off the top of my head: what I would like to see is something completely surprising.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider