Any free or cheap audio sequencing software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for a sequencer. Logic would be ideal but... well, I'm a student. On a budget.

On a PC they have Cakewalk. I don't know if that's free or shareware, but certainly all my PC using friends don't seem to pay for it.

I need to do multi-track audio editing. No fancy effects. Basically I'm editing together a load of people's MP3 files - we're making kind of a radio show, but everyone's far-flung over the internet so they each record their lines then I edit them together.

(I don't mind obtaining it by less reputable means... but such means shouldn't be posted about here of course. If you get my drift.)

So, any ideas?

Amorya

Comments

• Reply 2 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Anyone know what Deck LE's like?

Quote:

Impressively powerful, with all of Deck's essential tools - at an amazingly affordable price.

If you want to record music and audio like a pro - but don't feel like breaking the bank - we've got some great news for you: Your Macintosh is already half the solution. The other half is Deck 3.5 LE.

BIAS Deck 3.5 LE turns your Mac into a full-fledged recording studio. Easily record up to 12 tracks, with full CD quality. Edit your work instantly (while always being able to revert to your original recordings). Process your tracks, using EQ and other built-in digital signal processing. You can even play back MIDI files in perfect sync. Then mix it all down using Deck 3.5 LE's virtual mixing console.

Deck 3.5 LE is everything you need and then some. Sure, you could always take a few months to learn some other multitrack software, or buy a complicated hardware recorder. But no other competing solution is as easy to use and as fast to learn. No other is more compatible with so many different kinds of optional audio interfaces. And nothing else gives you an affordable upgrade path to Deck 3.5 - BIAS' acclaimed 64-track professional multitrack audio workstation.

I'd like to spend less - this is £73. But I can't find anything suitable.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
  • Reply 4 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    There are cheaper versions of logic which are really good.

Protools free is great. It's basically LE with only 8 tracks. I know guys that have done amazing work with it. When you run out of tracks, bounce a couple down.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Protools free is great. It's basically LE with only 8 tracks.

Just to clarify - 8 voices only, you can have a lot more tracks.

The only real drawback is that it's OS 9 only.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Then it should work in carbonite mode..under OSX shell
  • Reply 7 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Unless something has changed from when I used it, you can only have 8 channels of audio and a larger number of midi tracks.

Aquafire, if you mean it might run under classic, I wouldn't count on it. I haven't found a single audio application that runs in classic, likely because of the differences between core audio and the old mac a/v
  • Reply 8 of 10
    check out this: metro 6

it's an underrated programs that is extremely powerful nevertheless, and supports all standars out there, such as vst, mas and au.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Well, I like the look of ProTools free - but I have a computer that can't start up in OS9...

I own a version of MicroLogic AV for OS9. I was told when I bought it that I could upgrade to OSX version within a few months and that all it'd cost would be the price difference. This was over 2 years ago

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Have you seen tracktion or intuem? I'm pretty sure they're both under £50.

Hope this helps!

[edit: found out how to do the pound symbol ]