iTunes for Windows installed on my machine, all is VERY good

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm so happy today UI look almost identical to OS X version, brushed metal looks to be more finely brushed. Adios WinAmp.

Best touch: the aqua blue scroll bars. Lets you know what you could have with OS X.

Edit: the finely brushed metal is probably because I run my LCD at 1600x1200 and it is only a 15 inch LCD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    yea, i got it too, its beautiful. the only glaring difference is the absence of my library. that and the fact that i dont have a firewire card to tap into my 'pod. woe is me.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    It seems that Apple's site is getting hammered. No surprises there I have had to give my copy of the installer exe to several coworkers. There is a large demand for iTunes among windows users.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if i used my PC i'd probably be downloading this software.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

It seems that Apple's site is getting hammered. No surprises there I have had to give my copy of the installer exe to several coworkers. There is a large demand for iTunes among windows users.

Really? It's slow? I wouldn't know. My DSL line is capping out at 128kbps at the moment for some reason. @#$% SBC.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ethar

Really? It's slow? I wouldn't know. My DSL line is capping out at 128kbps at the moment for some reason. @#$% SBC.

It wasn't slow for me, I downloaded at > 1MB/sec (it is good to be at work). A coworker was having problems downloading so I assume that the site is getting hit pretty hard (which is a great sign for Apple). Apple is probably limiting you to your download rate.

Yes, SBC is horrid. Get another provider if you can.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    my gosh, the site is SOOOOOOOO SLOW! I am trying to watch the second ipod commercial and the bar is hardly moving.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

my gosh, the site is SOOOOOOOO SLOW! I am trying to watch the second ipod commercial and the bar is hardly moving.

Well that is why you have to get there quickly. Apple is getting /.ed as well as pounded by all its Mac users. Even as we speak, Scotty is saying "She canna go any faster; I'm givvin it all she's got!"
  • Reply 8 of 51
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I don't think the demand is THAT big in comparison to how many people they're are. I mean MANY people don't even know what an iPod is let alone Apple's mp3 player. I'd say it is getting a decent amount of PC geeks and keep in mind that 4.1 is in the Software Update so a lot of mac users are upgrading too. Oh yeah and iPod update

Not saying they aren't doing very well, but I don't think the numbers will be as impressive as iPod sales
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Er.. just a note, it looks like it's an upgrade for the Mac version, too. I had no trouble downloading it a few minutes ago.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Better still, my coworkers are now sharing their playlists. Music shares are springing up. So cool... We have next to no Macs here at work so these are all new users with the Windows version of iTunes.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No Ast3r3x you are gravely mistaken.

This announcement dwarfs Panther and probably is even more important than PowerMac G5s. I loaded up Apple a few minutes ago and my roommate thought it was SomethingAwful.com because of the Hell Froze Over.

He's diehard PC too. Not for long. Even he thinks it's cool.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I don't think the demand is THAT big in comparison to how many people they're are. I mean MANY people don't even know what an iPod is let alone Apple's mp3 player. I'd say it is getting a decent amount of PC geeks and keep in mind that 4.1 is in the Software Update so a lot of mac users are upgrading too. Oh yeah and iPod update

Not saying they aren't doing very well, but I don't think the numbers will be as impressive as iPod sales

I'd wager that the downloads will be larger than iPod sales. Thre were 336,000 iPod slaes last quarter. There will probably be over 1 million iTMS for windows downloads by the end of next week. I for one do not own an iPod, but downloaded iTunes for windows 15 seconds after the new web page went live.

Geeks are a critical market sector because they are early adopters and are on the "bleeding edge". VERY important to have the geek vote because it establishes mindshare in a very critical marketplace.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I got it as soon as the annoucement was over... It looks very nice. I like the way the window controls match the mac (except the buttons being in the top right).

For those that dont know, one of the main difference between os X and windows is that under windows you can resize windows from any edge or corner, and can only drag from the title bar. On the Mac you can drag from any part of the frame, but only resize from the bottom right.

I like that they kept the mac version in windows iTunes, it will get all the users warmed up for [b]when[b] they decide to switch.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I'm so happy today UI look almost identical to OS X version, brushed metal looks to be more finely brushed. Adios WinAmp.

Best touch: the aqua blue scroll bars. Lets you know what you could have with OS X.

Edit: the finely brushed metal is probably because I run my LCD at 1600x1200 and it is only a 15 inch LCD.

As I understand it, they are continuing to "refine" the brushed metal look. Making it more subtle. This might be the first sign of this.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

[B]I got it as soon as the annoucement was over... It looks very nice. I like the way the window controls match the mac (except the buttons being in the top right).

For those that dont know, one of the main difference between os X and windows is that under windows you can resize windows from any edge or corner, and can only drag from the title bar. On the Mac you can drag from any part of the frame, but only resize from the bottom right.

I like that they kept the mac version in windows iTunes, it will get all the users warmed up for [b]when they decide to switch.

What if, in addition to the hardware switch strategy, Apple has a software "trojan horse" strategy? What if Apple decided that it might be okay to have Mail, Address Book, iCal, iPhoto and Safari (BTW, I can see all of these have linkages to iPod eventually) for Windows as well?

What if Apple could get lots of Windows users using a handful of Apple applications (on Windows) all tied in seemlessly to iPod?

Suddenly Windows starts looking a lot more Apple-ish.

Just a fantasy theory.

[Don't start w/me about how Apple won't give away software for free. They need to make money. Etc. I know all of this. But think outside the box. Not everything is always as it seems on the surface.]
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Just downloaded it now. Works very well. Feels very weird though using iTunes on my pc

Nice to be able to resize the window quickly though
  • Reply 17 of 51
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

Nice to be able to resize the window quickly though

Apple's app resizes windows better on a PC....ironic, eh?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Neither iTunes/Windows nor QuickTime 6.4/Windows will install on my XP box.

They're getting a wrong network address(!) from somewhere (they seem to think My Documents is in a nonexistent folder on a network drive I never use), I can't find out where from and they won't let go of it.

I love Windows.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Hm.. installation went fine, everything works except for iTMS (actually the browse feature works, but I can't access home page/search page results)... does anyone know if it is dependent on Service Pack 1 for Windows XP in any way?
  • Reply 20 of 51
    I am not even going to install iTunes on my Windows XP, because I don't see any point in it, all of my music and the music I have bought are on my Mac.